Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law

This is a discussion on Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Virginia General Assembly: House passes repeal of one handgun a month - wdbj7.com House of Delegates passes repeal of one handgun a month law[/h] [h=2]Both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law

VIP Member

Thumbs up Both Houses have passed repeal of Virginia's OGAM law

Virginia General Assembly: House passes repeal of one handgun a month - wdbj7.com

House of Delegates passes repeal of one handgun a month law[/h] [h=2]Both House and Senate have now approved the legislation

Joe Dashiell Reporter 2:13 p.m. EST, February 22, 2012

RICHMOND, Va.—

The House of Delegates has approved legislation that would repeal Virginia's one handgun a month law. The vote Wednesday afternoon was 64-32.
    Both the House and Senate have now approved the legislation.

Originally passed in 1994, the law was intended to address Virginia's role as a supplier of guns used in violent crimes in other states. On the floor of the House Wednesday, Delegate Patrick Hope, (D) Arlington, said repeal of the law will have serious consequences. He argued the one handgun a month limit does not place an undue burden on gun buyers.

Delegate Scott Lingamfelter, (R) Woodbridge, said opposition to the repeal of one handgun a month is based on "mythology." He said adequate state and federal checks are currently in place.

Once that bill is signed there will be no justification for the de factdo waiting period [a.k.a the VSP data base check on gun purchases].
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Will your govener sign it into law? doesn't say. You should be able to purchase what you want. Isn't this a free country. They still run background checks.

VIP Member
    Can't imagine him not signing it.

But, I never say never when dealing with politics.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Is he up for election this year? I hope he signs it for you. People are getting tax refunds now, it could be good for retail business.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Is he up for election this year? I hope he signs it for you. People are getting tax refunds now, it could be good for retail business.
    This one did not include an "emergency" clause in any of the versions that I have read. Therefore it will take effect July 1st.

See: LIS > Bill Tracking > HB940 > 2012 session

and

Bill Tracking - 2012 session > Legislation
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

The BradyBunch is circulating an email to supporters

Save Virginia's "One Handgun a Month" Law
    Call Gov. McDonnell and Tell Him to Veto HB 940

Dear yjuwanna,

For the last 19 years, Virginia has led the way in curbing illegal gun trafficking with its landmark "One Handgun a Month" law. Now this important anti-trafficking law is in jeopardy and we need your help to save it.

Please act today!

Call Gov. McDonnell TODAY at (804) 786-2211
    Tell him: "Veto HB 940. Keep Virginia's 'One Handgun a Month' law."

In a recent statewide poll, 66% of registered Virginia voters want to keep the "One Handgun a Month" law.

Please call today and forward this e-mail to your family and friends in Virgina.

Sincerely,

s/

Brian Malte, Director of Mobilization
    Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
    Also included a pic of 18 handguns wit the caption, "Other than gun traffickers, who needs this many handguns at once? Call Gov. McDonnell and urge him to veto HB 940."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    In Virginia a Governor can not serve consecutive terms.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I will be surprised if he doesn't sign it. In the past he has shown himself to be pro-gun. Of course anything can happen.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good luck!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good job, nice reward for all the work you folks put in if he signs.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Hope it gets signed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    In Virginia a Governor can not serve consecutive terms.

However, there has been talk of him running for VP.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Very nice. I hope Maryland starts to take some steps towards being like our friendly neighbors to the south sometime soon as well...

VIP Member

OGAM had no bearing on VT tragedy. Yet...

Va. Tech families to talk with Gov. McDonnell on one-gun-a-month repeal - Virginia Politics - The Washington Post

Va. Tech families to talk with Gov. McDonnell on one-gun-a-month repeal
    By Laura Vozzella

Gov. Robert F. McDonnell has agreed to hold a phone conference with families affected by the
    2007 Virginia Tech shooting on Saturday, just days before he is expected to sign legislation repealing the state’s one-per-month limit on handgun purchases. Representatives of the families, who oppose lifting the 19-year-old cap, hand-delivered a request to speak with the Republican governor about the bill.

SNIP

Will these folk ever quite trying to milk (including paid positions in Anti orgs) their loss to get special consideration?

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Not that I ever believe the Brady Bunch, but I seriously doubt that 66% of registered Virginia voters support keeping the ban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links