Anti-2A Hypocrisy - Page 2

Anti-2A Hypocrisy

This is a discussion on Anti-2A Hypocrisy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sig35seven Reagan (poster child of the right wing) probably did more to hurt our 2a rights than any other President and was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anti-2A Hypocrisy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Reagan (poster child of the right wing) probably did more to hurt our 2a rights than any other President and was a strong proponent of the 'Brady bill'. Yet how interesting it is that everyone blames Obama for taking away our gun rights when the reality is he has done NOTHING of the sort.
    Interesting assertion. Reagan gave us Supreme Court Justices Scallia and Kennedy, whilst Obama has thus far given us Sotomayor and Kagan. Hopefully, Obama won't get to do nothing one more time in turning the current court's 5-4 pro-2nd Amendment make-up.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Interesting assertion. Reagan gave us Supreme Court Justices Scallia and Kennedy, whilst Obama has thus far given us Sotomayor and Kagan. Hopefully, Obama won't get to do nothing one more time in turning the current court's 5-4 pro-2nd Amendment make-up.
    You are ignoring Reagan signing laws that don't allow us to own machine guns. And his very vocal support if the Brady Bill. And his record in California as well where he tore the constitution to shreds. Reagan was the most anti-gun POTUS in the history of the United States and he should not be remembered as a friend to freedom for his hatred of the 2nd Amendment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    You are ignoring Reagan signing laws that don't allow us to own machine guns. And his very vocal support if the Brady Bill. And his record in California as well where he tore the constitution to shreds. Reagan was the most anti-gun POTUS in the history of the United States and he should not be remembered as a friend to freedom for his hatred of the 2nd Amendment.
    I can't own hand grenades, either, but I'm really OK with that. I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton is the one who signed the Brady Bill.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Excuse me, but it became illegal to own machine guns in 1934 as part of the "National Firearms Act".
    The second most detrimental set of gun laws came in 1968 known as the "Gun Control Act of 1968" signed into being by "Tricky Dickey Nixon".
    The third most restrictive gun laws came out of the Clinton adminstration. "Assault Weapons Ban and the "High Capacity Magazine Ban".

Enlighten us please, what restrictive gun laws did Reagan sign???
    Mike1956 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Excuse me, but it became illegal to own machine guns in 1934 as part of the "National Firearms Act".
    The second most detrimental set of gun laws came in 1968 known as the "Gun Control Act of 1968" signed into being by "Tricky Dickey Nixon".
    The third most restrictive gun laws came out of the Clinton adminstration. "Assault Weapons Ban and the "High Capacity Magazine Ban".

Look up the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. the 1934 law required tax stamp and registration of machine guns, same as the modern SBRs and silencers and such. The 1986 law prohibited any machine guns to be legally registered that were manufactured after May of 1986. So, there are about 175,000 legally registered machine guns in the U.S. now, and that's all there will ever be. Ever wonder why a genuine M-16 rifle costs about $16,000? Since Reagan signed that into law, you can thank him for that (among plenty of other guilty parties).
    Toorop likes this.

I can't own hand grenades, either, but I'm really OK with that. I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton is the one who signed the Brady Bill.
    But Reagan voiced a lot of support for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post

You are correct. I should have said illegal to own new manufactured Machineguns. Why is it I cannot own a new HK G36c rifle? Because of Ronald Reagan and his intense hatred of freedom. Explain that? Why didn't he put a sunset ban on it, like the Clintom AWB? I would argue it is more onerous to gun owners than the 94 AWB because it is forever until we repeal it.

So please explain why I cannot purchase a newly manufactured AK 47 or an HK G36 or some other neat automatic weapon? I cannot get a tax stamp for such weapons either because of Ronald Reagan and his intense hatred of guns.

Please explain why Stubborn as you seem so willing to defend that anti-gun despot Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Look up the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. the 1934 law required tax stamp and registration of machine guns, same as the modern SBRs and silencers and such. The 1986 law prohibited any machine guns to be legally registered that were manufactured after May of 1986. So, there are about 175,000 legally registered machine guns in the U.S. now, and that's all there will ever be. Ever wonder why a genuine M-16 rifle costs about $16,000? Since Reagan signed that into law, you can thank him for that (among plenty of other guilty parties).
    Very true. Thanks for correcting me where I messed up.

And don't forget Reagan and his racist reasons for signing into law the Mulford Act. We know that gun control is rooted in racism, and this is an excellent example of it. Reagan did not like black folks carrying guns and banned it.

You are correct. I should have said illegal to own new manufactured Machineguns. Why is it I cannot own a new HK G36c rifle? Because of Ronald Reagan and his intense hatred of freedom. Explain that? Why didn't he put a sunset ban on it, like the Clintom AWB? I would argue it is more onerous to gun owners than the 94 AWB because it is forever until we repeal it.

So please explain why I cannot purchase a newly manufactured AK 47 or an HK G36 or some other neat automatic weapon? I cannot get a tax stamp for such weapons either because of Ronald Reagan and his intense hatred of guns.

Please explain why Stubborn as you seem so willing to defend that anti-gun despot Reagan.
    Perhaps you don't understand the powers the US President has. He does not have a line item veto, nor can he amend a law passed by congress before signing. The firearms owners protection act included the Hughes Amendment (which was the ban on new registrations for machineguns) and it was supported by the NRA even when it included the Hughes Amendment. Supposedly, the NRA intended to deal with the Hughes Amendment later. We are still waiting for that. At any rate, especially in 1986, the NRA was THE gun rights organization. They supported the FOPA and would have creamed Reagan if he hadn't signed it.

So, Reagan couldn't remove the Hughes Amendment, he couldn't put in a sunset provision in, and he would have been against what the NRA wanted to veto it. Did he make the right choice? It is easy to say he didn't after 26 years of living with Hughes, but at the time the NRA claimed they would address Hughes later. FWIW, Congress wrote the sunset provision into the 1994 AWB, slick Willy had nothing to do with it, and I can assure you he would have signed it even if it didn't include a sunset provision.

I have no idea what Reagan's record in California was, but other than Hughes, what anti-gun legislation did he sign during his presidency?

Actually I believe you can own hand grenades. They are destructive devices and would require a $200 tax stamp each, but they are, IIRC NFA items, not completely prohibited.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links