Campus carry on Mississippi universities

This is a discussion on Campus carry on Mississippi universities within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Check it out! I'll be looking into this. I'm an employee at Ole Miss...I'm sure they'll find a way to stop us. Mississippi passes new ...

Thread: Campus carry on Mississippi universities

Campus carry on Mississippi universities

Check it out! I'll be looking into this. I'm an employee at Ole Miss...I'm sure they'll find a way to stop us.

Mississippi passes new campus gun laws | The Daily Mississippian

Apparently this was passed in July 2011. Where the heck have I been?

2. Remove Ads

Yes, that is under the new "endorsement" law they passed last year. Once you get your concealed license, you can sign up for an eight hour (usually one day) course taught by an instructor certified by the state to teach the class. The course includes both time on the range and in the classroom learning the ins and outs of the law (i.e., where you can and can't tote). Once you complete the course, you just go back to the DMV and get them to put the endorsement sticker on your license.

Without the endorsement, you can't carry in places deemed a "nuisance establishment" under the normal law. However, with the endorsement, you can carry pretty much anywhere except police departments, jails, and in court during judicial proceedings. Although, you can carry in courthouses, for instance if you were just running in and out to file something, pay a fine, etc.

ETA: Depending on where you live and how many instructors are available nearby, the wait to get in a class can be pretty lengthy at times. HERE is a list of certified instructors.

I have a MS state issued "Firearm Permit". Firearms Permit Unit - > 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver. describes it as a "License to carry concealed pistol or revolver." The "upgrade" is called an "enhance permit". So now my question is what is considered concealed? From what I've read Mississippi law doesn't exactly spell it out. Should my weapon be totally hidden at all times? I was under the impression that OC is ok in Mississippi? I doubt it will be ok on campus. What say you, MS_Barrister?

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    sounds like a good start

YES IT DOES! I did some more reading and it appears that OC is legal... or should I say it is not illegal. As much as I'd love to see it, I just don't see someone (legally) carrying a pistol in a holster on their hip on campus where anyone can see it. However, It sure as heck would look nice on some these co-eds walking around!

Anyone got a clue what the graphic with that article is supposed to mean? Weapon on campus vs weapon on school property? Is this one campus or state-wide?

Got to get out my copy of "How to Lie With Charts" to figure that one out.

In any case, sounds like the situation in Miss. is getting better, if still awkward.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Links