Very good read: The Facts about Gun Shows...

This is a discussion on Very good read: The Facts about Gun Shows... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; not related specific piece of legislation but speaks to both Federal and State legislation. The Facts about Gun Shows | David Kopel | Cato Institute: ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveH
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Very good read: The Facts about Gun Shows...

VIP Member

Very good read: The Facts about Gun Shows...

not related specific piece of legislation but speaks to both Federal and State legislation.

The Facts about Gun Shows | David Kopel | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

The Facts about Gun Shows
    by David Kopel

This article appeared on cato.org on January 10, 2000.

SNIP

Gun shows are huge gathering points for people who are interested in Second Amendment issues. Gun rights groups frequently set up booths at gun shows to distribute literature and recruit members. Gun shows are places where Americans properly exercise their First and Second Amendment rights, and neither gun show patrons nor vendors deserve the mean-spirited campaign of abuse to which they have been subjected.
    FWIIW, I have a great respect for both David Kopel and the Cato Institute.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

The Facts about Gun Shows
    by David Kopel

This article appeared on cato.org on January 10, 2000.

SNIP

Gun shows are huge gathering points for people who are interested in Second Amendment issues. Gun rights groups frequently set up booths at gun shows to distribute literature and recruit members. Gun shows are places where Americans properly exercise their First and Second Amendment rights, and neither gun show patrons nor vendors deserve the mean-spirited campaign of abuse to which they have been subjected.

Oh' but don't forget to disarm when you go to one...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Oh' but don't forget to disarm when you go to one...
    Or come to the Hillsville Virginia show, which hasn't bought into that nonsense.

OC (assuming you can legally possess a firearm) even if from out-of-state or CC if you have a Virginia CHP or a license / permit from a State which we recognize. Great fun.

Typically, well over a half million visitors every Labor Day weekend w/o a ND (to my knowledge) in the 12 years I've worked it. What is really a stitch is the reaction we get from folk from other countries (and some "foreign" states right here in the good old USA) to the carry and availability of firearms.

Labor Day Flea Market & Gun Show - Hillsville.com
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Oh' but don't forget to disarm when you go to one... [/I][/COLOR]
    No worries, as those good ol' boys at the entrance will remind you while they are asking you to open your jacket to make sure you didn't forget about any loaded firearms you have on board.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Thanks for the good read Dave.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Dont forget the nazis they love the gun shows.....They are always good for a laugh.....GOD I love gun shows..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I'm pretty sure most BGs don't buy their guns from gun shows. They can't afford them! GS prices are generally too high but street sales are easier on the BGs budget.

Distinguished Member
    "Yet [Handgun Control Inc.] claims that '25-50 percent of the vendors at most gun shows are unlicensed dealers.' That statistic is true only if one counts vendors who aren't selling guns (e.g., vendors who are selling books, clothing or accessories) as 'unlicensed dealers.'

"Denver congresswoman Diana DeGette says that 70 percent of guns used in crimes come from gun shows. The true figure is rather different, according to the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the U.S. Department of Justice. According to an NIJ study released in December 1997..., only 2 percent of criminal guns come from gun shows.

"An NIJ study of the gun purchase and use habits of convicted felons in 12 state prisons... (later published as the book Armed and Considered Dangerous) found that gun shows were such a minor source of criminal gun acquisition that they were not even worth reporting as a separate figure.

"A study of youthful offenders in Michigan found that only 3 percent of the youths in the study had acquired their last handgun from a gun show (not counting straw purchases).

"Handgun Control Inc., surveyed major-city police chiefs and found only 2 out of 48 "who said that guns from gun shows (both "legal and illegal sales" according to the questionnaire) were a major problem in their city".
    Cato consistently clears the air of obfuscations of enemies of liberty with the facts.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links