Anti-gun celebrities - Page 3

Anti-gun celebrities

This is a discussion on Anti-gun celebrities within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TX expat Funny how many of them don't mind making movies with guns since it nets them some cash. It just further ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Anti-gun celebrities

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Funny how many of them don't mind making movies with guns since it nets them some cash. It just further illustrates their hypocrisy. It's OK when they say it's OK, but otherwise it's not.
    The old "Do as I say and not as I do" trick. There are so many feminine hygiene cleaning product-containers in Hollywood the list could be really long.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrizzleP95 View Post
    Illuminati puppet's will say what their told to say!

RugerLCP for EDC
    CWFL Florida
    NRA member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What Illuminati?

VIP Member
    Unfortunately today's glitterati and pollywood in general don't measure up when compared to the greats with whom I grew up, like John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Roy Rogers, Steve Mcqueen, Vic Morrow, to name but a few.
    Pistology likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Unfortunately today's glitterati and pollywood in general don't measure up when compared to the greats with whom I grew up, like John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Roy Rogers, Steve Mcqueen, Vic Morrow, to name but a few.
    It's a shame Clint Eastwood is for gun control too although I would put him on the same pedestal to these guys when it comes to manliness.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytl View Post
    I've had a little -- very little -- experience with the Hollywood crowd, so when I choose not to help pay the wages of certain stars I've done so at my own professional expense. The anti-gun stars that preach the loudest are clouded somewhat by ignorance, but their main vice is self-ambition. I can choose to overlook the beliefs of those whose political leanings are different than mine, but why patronize those who are actively working to take away the very freedoms you cherish? It's a cultural war. Know thy enemy.
    Ideas - even the fluffy ones of media darlings - have consequences. Fiction has subliminal affect. We create our own reality even from the fabrics of fiction of the artists. If you think ideas don't matter, is it because you have a switch to turn your brain off sometimes when you patronize the arts or when you recreate? Are you willing to compromise your freedom for a few yucks?
    It's not a matter of differing politics. I don't dictate what people should think. A person has a right to be anti-gun, though not at the expense of my rights such as those in the BOR.
    There's a wide gulf between the antis and myself, and I refuse to compromise and want to know my enemy so that I can boycott.
    I applaud , lazytl, for your principled stand and am glad to know you, here.

In comparing the pro-gun to the anti-gun star list, I find this:
    Bellisario has had long ties to CBS. Besides "NCIS," he also created "JAG," which was the father of "NCIS" and ran on CBS for many years after a short stint on NBC. He also created "Magnum P.I.," which made Tom Selleck a star. He was forced off "NCIS" for reasons that the network never disclosed. Those close to the creator said he was pushed out after clashing with Mark Harmon, the star of the show who has a long relationship with Moonves.
    Leslie Moonves is CBS' Chief Executive Producer. Bellisario and Selleck are pros. Harmon is anti. Ideas do play out in life. If the artists can sever relations, why not us patrons?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I might be wrong, but my impression has always been that Donnie Wahlberg was more pro-gun. Or at minimum, not ANTI, but might be an incorrect assumption. Wonder if I'm right and that he's not of the same attitude of his brother, or that he is just not vocal about it?

My hope is that hanging around Tom Selleck, he has been educated a little bit.
    45ACP4ever likes this.

My personal theory on anti-gun celebrities:

They should not be allowed to handle firearms in movies. Any profits from movies they have done in the past where they use firearms should be donated to random food pantries. If you don't want other people to have firearms you should not be allowed to profit by using them yourself.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

A couple of people here have remarked that celebrities are entitled to their opinions and positions on issues, just like the rest of us. I agree. The problems I have with them:

1. They are presumed by too many of the voting public to have special wisdom, knowledge and insight that us common citizens do not. Therefore, what the celebs say is given more credibility than it deserves. Alec Baldwin's opinion is not worth more than mine...or yours.

2. These people make big money from our movie tickets, CD and iTunes purchases, DVD movies, etc. In turn they use a portion of that money to support the attack on our 2nd Amendment rights.

That is my objection.
    Bill
    "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious."-Paul Harvey, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by wburychka View Post
    A couple of people here have remarked that celebrities are entitled to their opinions and positions on issues, just like the rest of us. I agree. The problems I have with them:

1. They are presumed by too many of the voting public to have special wisdom, knowledge and insight that us common citizens do not. Therefore, what the celebs say is given more credibility than it deserves. Alec Baldwin's opinion is not worth more than mine...or yours.

2. These people make big money from our movie tickets, CD and iTunes purchases, DVD movies, etc. In turn they use a portion of that money to support the attack on our 2nd Amendment rights.

That is my objection.
    Let me counter those points.

1. Your first point is a problem with the dumbing of America and its citizens. You can not fault the actor/actress for that. I go see the same movies as everybody else (well, I wait till they are on DVD) and I am not swayed by what they are portraying. Besides, look back in cinema history. You do not think the US public was not swayed by films during WWII that showed how glorious war was and looked upon some of the roles played by the stars as true representations of soldiers and sailors and marines?

2. You, I and others make money and some of us donate it to the NRA and GOA. So they get thier money from the public. It isn't tax money. It is their earnings. And a lot of the films actually glorify guns and viloence.

Films, unfortunately, have always been used for propaganda purposes. John Wayne's "The Green Berets" probably being one of the worst examples. However, we have more of a "cult of personality" now than we did two generations ago. Meryl Streep, who at the time was my favorite actress, once nearly sank the apple industry with unsubstantiated claims about dangerous additives. Fortunately, it was quickly proven that she was a great actress but a lousy scientist. Lisa Bonet, post-The Cosby Show - tried to ride political correctness to celebrity-dom but again the public saw a disconnect between her self-righteous rants and the sleazy roles she played once she got on the big screen.Suntzu is right in claiming "they get their money from the public." What some of us are say is "not my money." Hollywood is fueled by money. The highest-grossing films are almost always family-friendly fare, so you would think films depicting morality, decency or patriotism would be more honored by award committees, the press, and producers and stars themselves. Stars take themselves very seriously. They believe their anti-gun rants are on the same level as the speeches of Martin Luther King and their literature and films on equal footing with "To Kill a Mockingbird." Not supporting radical celebrities is simply one way of voting "no" to their agenda. For me, and this is just my opinion, it is more honest than saying, "gee, I hate everything you stand for, but here's $10, make another movie."
    Ruger SP101 3" .357
    Taurus 941UL .22WMR
    Mini-14
    H&R Pardner Pump 20

What do you do if a great movie comes out about Reagan getting shot with Charlton Heston (pro) playing President Reagan and Kevin Bacon (anti)playing Hinkley? Sara Brady is played by Kim Delaney (pro) and James Brady played by Alec Baldwin (anti) The theme song sung by Shania Twain (anti) and Ted Nugent(pro)

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Here's a list of some who are reputed to be pro-gun
    Pro gun celebrities - TheFirearmsForum.Com
    That lists shows Arnold Schwartneggar as Pro. Other list show him anti. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That lists shows Arnold Schwartneggar as Pro. Other list show him anti. Which is it?
    This brings up an interesting question. What exactly was the criteria for proclaiming them pro or anti?
    Was it that they oppose certain types of weapons? We have members here who are opposed to certain types of guns.
    Was it that they oppose open carry? We have members here who also oppose that.
    What about concealed carry, silencers, 50 caliber sniper rifles, we have members here on both sides of those issues as well.

Is a person who likes to go duck hunting but is against you carrying a uzi in your vehicle anti-gun?

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; March 11th, 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Michael makes some good points.
    As to suntzu's theoretical movie, I would have to consider the theme not the cast in this film. An "ensemble" film is different than a "star vehicle" film. If the film had a pro-Brady point of view, no, I wouldn't go. Viewing the trailers would probably be sufficient to determine the theme.
    Ruger SP101 3" .357
    Taurus 941UL .22WMR
    Mini-14
    H&R Pardner Pump 20

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I, for one, am ALL FOR gun control...

...How else are you going to hit the target??!!
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links