Illinois House Executive Committee Passes Ammo Tax and Handgun Registery Bills

This is a discussion on Illinois House Executive Committee Passes Ammo Tax and Handgun Registery Bills within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a prime example of the rural urban divide here in the US. You'll find it everywhere to some degree or another. It's just ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Illinois House Executive Committee Passes Ammo Tax and Handgun Registery Bills

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    This is a prime example of the rural urban divide here in the US. You'll find it everywhere to some degree or another. It's just so unmistakable in Illinois.

I'm confident the the NRA along with the Illinois Rifle Association will fight this tooth and nail. They need our support.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The registration bill would impose a $20 fee for each handgun a person owns. The registration certificates, which owners would have to carry when in possession of a weapon, would expire every five years.
    That would get pretty expensive for a guy like me that owned a few dozen handguns.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel recently called for a mandatory gun registration with a $65 fee. He and his allies have agreed to scale back the fee

Gee...why am I not suprised.

What fool thinks that this is anything but gun control? Today it's 20 bucks. A year from now it'll be a hundred. Has anyone ever seen a tax that wasnt raised?

Vandermyde also argued against a new tax on ammunition. He said it would interfere with the 2nd Amendment right to own firearms
    Of course it would. Isn't madantory registration and then forcing each handgun to be taxed an interference? What part of "the right to bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed" do they not understand?

Perhaps its time for the good citizens of Illinois to start stocking up on rope.

Stubborn likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Cant wait until we start the Obama Presidential Library in Chicago. Then we will pay for his Office in the Sears Tower..the Obama Tower?

Yeah... My state sucks.

More bad news for Illinois! Just saw this on the local CBS news station in St. Louis.

http://www.kmov.com/news/politics/Le...141112863.html

A controversial handgun registration bill is gaining steam at the Illinois State Capitol and a second bill may be passed which would increase taxes on ammunition.

The gun registration bill is supported by the mayors of Chicago and East St. Louis, but it was supposed to fail on arrival to Springfield. It passed out of a committee this week.

Handgun owners tell News 4 that they see the registration bill and $20 feel mainly as a tax.

“I believe Illinois is trying to reinvent something the federal government already has in place,” Steven kind, owner of Metro Shooting Supplies in Belleville, said. "The ATF already has a way to track any firearm that was legally purchased."

The bill is being pushed by Chicago legislators who blame illegally purchased weapons for its crime problem.

“A lot of people see this as an infringement on their rights,” East St. Louis Mayor Alvin Parks said. “I don’t see it as an infringement. I see it as an opportunity to get a handle on who really has a handgun.”
    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Illinois is just the sickest place in the country. It really depresses me. I'm so glad I don't live there.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Look's like everybody is just too tired, fat, lazy and depressed to fight with Chicago or maybe you've just had it too easy for too long.

GET OFF YOUR FAT LAZY ASSES AND WIN THIS GAME!

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger View Post
    More bad news for Illinois! Just saw this on the local CBS news station in St. Louis.

Legislators, gun owners debate new registration bill | KMOV.com St. Louis

A controversial handgun registration bill is gaining steam at the Illinois State Capitol and a second bill may be passed which would increase taxes on ammunition.

The gun registration bill is supported by the mayors of Chicago and East St. Louis, but it was supposed to fail on arrival to Springfield. It passed out of a committee this week.

Handgun owners tell News 4 that they see the registration bill and $20 feel mainly as a tax.

“I believe Illinois is trying to reinvent something the federal government already has in place,” Steven kind, owner of Metro Shooting Supplies in Belleville, said. "The ATF already has a way to track any firearm that was legally purchased."

The bill is being pushed by Chicago legislators who blame illegally purchased weapons for its crime problem.

“A lot of people see this as an infringement on their rights,” East St. Louis Mayor Alvin Parks said. “I don’t see it as an infringement. I see it as an opportunity to get a handle on who really has a handgun.
    It should read like this:

I see it as an opportunity to get a handle on who really has a legal handgun.

Criminals won't register a gun. Duh.

Why don't you just put a camera in every house?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Why are some rights taxable whereas others are not? Is this tax that much different than a Poll tax? Both were enacted to make exercising ones rights more difficult.

Michael

From the office of the Mayor,

It is our duty as your elected officials to inform you of some happenings going on here in the great state of Illinois.
    We are on the verge of passing some laws that will make Illinois the utopia we all dream of. Soon all handgun owners will be required to pay $20.00 every five years to enable them to own these deadly weapons. We will also start collecting extra tax on ammunition.

In response to this exciting news we'd like to take this opportunity to warn everyone who works in a retail business or banks that we may see a temporary uptick in armed robberies. These new life saving laws will no doubt put an economic choke hold on gun owners (sometimes referred to as thugs and gang members by the radical Fox news). Between the registration fees and ammunition tax they will undoubtedly resort to their base instincts to feed their bloodlust. As always you can count on the finest police protection and ultra fast response times by your beloved Chicago police department. Just call and they'll be right there.

We realize there will be some adjustment but soon we will have greatly reduced gun violence and the nicest medical facilities your tax money can buy.

It's a great time to live in Illinois, follow me into a better future for all of us.

Sincerely, da mayor.
    msgt/ret, oneshot and TheShadow like this.

I hope you made that up yourself and their Mayor didn't actually say that. I could see that being real.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You really need to button your lip, and GO READ WHAT THE P&R DOES, not assume what you think it does.

It takes money from a certain special group, (shooters, sportsmen & women from bird watching to hunters, fishermen, and it improves wildlife, funds studies to better understand them, and so forth.
    You should go read it.
    I could care less. I already pay for an EPA. Now you big gub'mint liberals want to tax me more to pay for marshes and other nature reserves? Sorry but why don't you just pay out of your own pockets and leave us hard working people alone. If you want to pay for these things, that is fine, but it is not fair to tax me to do so simply because I am a gun owner. THis is big government at work. Sorry but I cannot support taxing peoples rights.

Quote Originally Posted by STLTiger View Post
    “A lot of people see this as an infringement on their rights,” East St. Louis Mayor Alvin Parks said. “I don’t see it as an infringement. I see it as an opportunity to get a handle on who really has a handgun.”
    This mayor has to be mentally handicapped...one: it is an infringement; two: unrealistic expectation. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a sound bite.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Time for IL residents to take a stand.... take your tax dollars and income and move out of state. Let them rot.
    Examine the other uber-liberal cities for their fantastic results: Baltimore, Philly, Detroit, etc. They've all been run into the ground with silly liberal thinking.

IL is set to become a 'Mini Me' of England.
    It's hard to believe that so many people have really voted to have all this corruption.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links