The Battle Of Athens - Page 2

The Battle Of Athens

This is a discussion on The Battle Of Athens within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SERGU Please check your facts: Healthcare for active TROOPS and their dependents is NOT effected...it's still free. Costs for retired military would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Battle Of Athens

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SERGU View Post
    Please check your facts: Healthcare for active TROOPS and their dependents is NOT effected...it's still free. Costs for retired military would be increased to be more in line with what others in this country pay after retirement from a "pension" type employment history. While I support our military 100% (the people, not necessarily a given war), I do not necessarily think they are entitled to vastly different health care benefits after they retire from military duty. It's a job...they chose the job, and since the draft was eliminated, nobody has been forced to serve, much less continue to enlist again every 4 years. If they are now paying $30 a month for healthcare, and will be expected to pay $60 for the next 5 years, and $90 for the 10 years afer that, I consider that to be a pretty good deal, compared to the general population. I am retired from the State of Alabama, and have been since 2006. At that time, my single health insurance premium was approximately $35 a month for excellent health care providers. In 2010, because of falling revenue and increasing number of retirees (baby boomers), the State was forced (or the program would have gone belly up) to implement a sliding scale, based on years of service, plus an overall increase in both premium and co-pays for drugs. So, now I would be paying $125 a month in premium if I were still single (I'm not), and a generic drug that used to be $4.00, now costs me $7.00. One could call those measures a 100% + or - increase in costs to retirees, and that would be true, in that context. BUT, I do not personally consider a premium of $125 for coverage that would cost me well over $700 a month if purchased independently (with much higher co-pays and a miriad of "preexisting" conditions) a draconian measure taken by my State retirement system. To me, it seems fair, considering what others have to pay for health insurance, typcially (there are always exceptions to everything). And BTW, I have not received a single cost of living increase since 2006, unlike military retirees. Quote some real dollar figures, not just percentages. That's much like saying that if I live in a town of 10,000 people, and there were 5 murders last year, but 10 this year, that's a 100% increase in the murder rate. Stats need to be considered in their entirety. In addition, these increases were recommended by the Congressional Budget Office, which is a bi-partisan entity, and ultimately discussed with the Pentagon budget folks, so IF these increases in fact happen, it is NOT one man's fault, if one chooses to call it an error. The last time I checked, the Legislative branch passed legislation, not the Executive.

As I re-read the thread I was trying to figure out what triggered this response.

You are right they chose the job and guess what sport part of the deal was "if you serve 20 years you can retire with health care for the rest of your life." Maybe that is one of the reason they made the choice they did. Sounds like you do not like the deal you have and therefor no one should have anything different. Maybe you should have signed up and served.
    niks and FTG-05 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    that could never happen here

sarcasm off

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Now I am kinda depressed at what is going on today. The state I live in has become very corrupt. (just my .02 cents worth)
    But you still believe in the ballot box? If so, then your fellow citizens get the government that they deserve. In working to get a state initiative on the ballot, I hear too often that "voting isn't real" and "I don't believe in voting".

Sad when our system of government - of peaceable access and orderly transition - bought by the blood of patriots - doesn't inspire the least of our free society. Voting is an act of minimal effort and involvement in our government. It's the lack of education and personal committment in that system, whether the committment is to more government or less or any rational position, that causes class conflict, apathy, and despair. [/soapbox off]

Justice is done. Ironic that the marker for Tennessee National Register of Historic Places for the Battle of Athens is "2a".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    But you still believe in the ballot box? If so, then your fellow citizens get the government that they deserve. In working to get a state initiative on the ballot, I hear too often that "voting isn't real" and "I don't believe in voting".

".
    I believe in the vote. I am sad because our state has a "Government Accountability Board" that allows anybody to sign a recall for our governor. Even if you don't live in the state or your name is mickey mouse or Adolf hitler. They also got corrupt judges in Dane county that took away our voter Id requirement.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    They weren't called "The Greatest Generation" for nuttin'
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links