The Battle Of Athens

This is a discussion on The Battle Of Athens within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This video is a true story, and one of the best representative programs I've ever seen on our 2nd amendment rights. They weren't just for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Battle Of Athens

The Battle Of Athens

This video is a true story, and one of the best representative programs I've ever seen on our 2nd amendment rights. They weren't just for prevention of Tyranny on the Federal level. Tyranny exists on local levels. I fully understand what is meant about the Chicago Political machine; and, why Chicago has the most stringent gun laws. Even if you are a bleeding heart liberal Democrat, this should open your eyes as to why the second amendment is in place. It protects all the others. Feel free to share this video, it needs to be seen by the entire nation.

2. Remove Ads

Link?

There were several beer joints and honky-tonks around Athens; we were pretty wild; we started having trouble with the law enforcement at that time because they started making a habit of picking up GIs and fining them heavily for most anything—they were kind of making a racket out of it. After long hard years of service—most of us were hard-core veterans of World War II—we were used to drinking our liquor and our beer without being molested. When these things happened, the GIs got madder—the more GIs they arrested, the more they beat up, the madder we got …[1]
    Battle of Athens (1946) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In five precincts free of vote fraud, the GI candidate for sheriff, Knox Henry, won 1,168 votes to Cantrell's 789, while other GI candidates won by similar margins. On August 2, a town meeting set up a three-man governing committee. The regular police having fled, six men were chosen to police Etowah. In addition, "Individual citizens were called upon to form patrols or guard groups, often led by a GI... To their credit, however, there is not a single mention of an abuse of power on their behalf."[8] Once the GI candidates' victory had been certified, they cleaned up county government, the jail was fixed, newly elected officials accepted a $5,000 pay limit and Mansfield supporters who resigned were replaced.
    The general election on November 5 passed quietly. McMinn County residents, having restored the rule of law, returned to their daily lives. Pat Mansfield moved back to Georgia, and Paul Cantrell set up an auto dealership in Etowah. "Almost everyone who knew Cantrell in the years after the Battle' agree that he was not bitter about what had happened."[9]
    The 79th Congress had adjourned on August 2, 1946, when the Battle of Athens ended. However, Representative John Jennings Jr. from Tennessee decried McMinn County's sorry situation under Cantrell and Mansfield and the Justice Department's repeated failures to help the McMinn County residents. Jennings was delighted that "...at long last, decency and honesty, liberty and law have returned to the fine county of McMinn.."[10]

The GI's had it right.

That about explains the 2A! When it gets that bad, you only have two choices.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Who in their right mind would mess with a bunch of veterans?

No one! One of the primary reasons for the GI Bill of Rights - send them all off to college!
    Doghandler likes this.

mel
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    The President of the United States, President Obama to cut Healthcare to the troops - Auburn Journal , I understand there is a bit of difference, but it starts at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a feeling in todays political climate, that if anyone tried that today, vets or not, they would be met with the jack-boot thug mentality, compliments of the BATFE, Homeland Security, FBI with plenty of SWAT from the local PD's.

Very inspirational though, and I was never aware of anything like this, until now.

Only thing I remember, that closely resembled it, was the Riots of '67 here in the D
    mlr1m likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Please check your facts: Healthcare for active TROOPS and their dependents is NOT effected...it's still free. Costs for retired military would be increased to be more in line with what others in this country pay after retirement from a "pension" type employment history. While I support our military 100% (the people, not necessarily a given war), I do not necessarily think they are entitled to vastly different health care benefits after they retire from military duty. It's a job...they chose the job, and since the draft was eliminated, nobody has been forced to serve, much less continue to enlist again every 4 years. If they are now paying $30 a month for healthcare, and will be expected to pay $60 for the next 5 years, and $90 for the 10 years afer that, I consider that to be a pretty good deal, compared to the general population. I am retired from the State of Alabama, and have been since 2006. At that time, my single health insurance premium was approximately $35 a month for excellent health care providers. In 2010, because of falling revenue and increasing number of retirees (baby boomers), the State was forced (or the program would have gone belly up) to implement a sliding scale, based on years of service, plus an overall increase in both premium and co-pays for drugs. So, now I would be paying $125 a month in premium if I were still single (I'm not), and a generic drug that used to be $4.00, now costs me $7.00. One could call those measures a 100% + or - increase in costs to retirees, and that would be true, in that context. BUT, I do not personally consider a premium of $125 for coverage that would cost me well over $700 a month if purchased independently (with much higher co-pays and a miriad of "preexisting" conditions) a draconian measure taken by my State retirement system. To me, it seems fair, considering what others have to pay for health insurance, typcially (there are always exceptions to everything). And BTW, I have not received a single cost of living increase since 2006, unlike military retirees. Quote some real dollar figures, not just percentages. That's much like saying that if I live in a town of 10,000 people, and there were 5 murders last year, but 10 this year, that's a 100% increase in the murder rate. Stats need to be considered in their entirety. In addition, these increases were recommended by the Congressional Budget Office, which is a bi-partisan entity, and ultimately discussed with the Pentagon budget folks, so IF these increases in fact happen, it is NOT one man's fault, if one chooses to call it an error. The last time I checked, the Legislative branch passed legislation, not the Executive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SERGU View Post
    Please check your facts: Healthcare for active TROOPS and their dependents is NOT effected...it's still free. Costs for retired military would be increased to be more in line with what others in this country pay after retirement from a "pension" type employment history. While I support our military 100% (the people, not necessarily a given war), I do not necessarily think they are entitled to vastly different health care benefits after they retire from military duty. It's a job...they chose the job, and since the draft was eliminated, nobody has been forced to serve, much less continue to enlist again every 4 years. If they are now paying $30 a month for healthcare, and will be expected to pay $60 for the next 5 years, and $90 for the 10 years afer that, I consider that to be a pretty good deal, compared to the general population. I am retired from the State of Alabama, and have been since 2006. At that time, my single health insurance premium was approximately $35 a month for excellent health care providers. In 2010, because of falling revenue and increasing number of retirees (baby boomers), the State was forced (or the program would have gone belly up) to implement a sliding scale, based on years of service, plus an overall increase in both premium and co-pays for drugs. So, now I would be paying $125 a month in premium if I were still single (I'm not), and a generic drug that used to be $4.00, now costs me $7.00. One could call those measures a 100% + or - increase in costs to retirees, and that would be true, in that context. BUT, I do not personally consider a premium of $125 for coverage that would cost me well over $700 a month if purchased independently (with much higher co-pays and a miriad of "preexisting" conditions) a draconian measure taken by my State retirement system. To me, it seems fair, considering what others have to pay for health insurance, typcially (there are always exceptions to everything). And BTW, I have not received a single cost of living increase since 2006, unlike military retirees. Quote some real dollar figures, not just percentages. That's much like saying that if I live in a town of 10,000 people, and there were 5 murders last year, but 10 this year, that's a 100% increase in the murder rate. Stats need to be considered in their entirety. In addition, these increases were recommended by the Congressional Budget Office, which is a bi-partisan entity, and ultimately discussed with the Pentagon budget folks, so IF these increases in fact happen, it is NOT one man's fault, if one chooses to call it an error. The last time I checked, the Legislative branch passed legislation, not the Executive.
    Wow.

Veterans given much to the country. It is not a job, but a duty they perform. The costs of performing the duty can be high with former service members often having lasting health affects from combat. The question is not wether they deserve continued health benefits after discharge, but rather can we ever do enough as a nation to repay them for their service? Never in my mind. Their benefits should not be cut.

VIP Member
    Here is the link

Battle-of-Athens

I am not sure of all the facts. This is one story they did not teach me in school.

VIP Member
    Now returning vets are considered domestic terrorists, and the thugs who used to be on a county level are much higher up. Like the tea party, who cleans up after their rallies, the GI's cleaned and replaced all the weapons borrowed from the armory. Does any body here have the keys to their local armory? I didn't think so.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Now returning vets are considered domestic terrorists, and the thugs who used to be on a county level are much higher up. Like the tea party, who cleans up after their rallies, the GI's cleaned and replaced all the weapons borrowed from the armory. Does any body here have the keys to their local armory? I didn't think so.
    Now I am kinda depressed at what is going on today. The state I live in has become very corrupt. (just my .02 cents worth)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    very good piece of history--time and place.....but with todays SWAT like Tanks and equipment, our standing armies....er, i mean, Police, have today

what chance would veterans or any trained civilian group have?

we, the people, are on the cusp of having the effectiveness of our 2nd amendment rights undermined
    cause of a mismatched power base.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Washington DC seems as far away from us as King George was from the colonies in 1776. There was a mismatched power base then, too.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links