Victory in Maryland!

This is a discussion on Victory in Maryland! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DaveH As I understand the court's decision ( http://tinyurl.com/6skd73l ), that (and the like) is what was overturned . For this one ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Victory in Maryland!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    As I understand the court's decision ( http://tinyurl.com/6skd73l ), that (and the like) is what was overturned.
    For this one case. I'm excited by the news and proud of what has been accomplished, however I don't feel like spending $112.50 each and every time I want to test their system.

I further suspect that they will continue to scrutinize every application and decide which ones they want to process. MD won't turn into a shall issue state overnight. My opinion, YMMV, batteries not included, etc.

2. Remove Ads

Outstanding!! Good for you Maryland! Finally, a judical court that recognizes the Constitutional Rights of the people..
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Applicants that do not live in MD may use ink print cards even after March 19.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Not too terribly a steep a price -- $112.25 to file the application. They are hyping their low refusal / declination rate -- keeps claiming they approve 90% of applications the receive. I suspect that is because they discourage applications and folk have given up.

So why not put that to the test?

• MD State Police Firearms Permit page: Maryland State Police > Organization > Support Services Bureau > Licensing Division > Handgun Permit

• The bottom right hand of page above has a link to the application, which can be downloaded, printed out and filled in. There are 13 pages, 2 of which need to be notarized. Most of the pages are related to private investigators and security guards and such. I plan on entering N/A or Not Applicable or ignoring everything related to showing "good and sufficient reason" and / or, fill in "Self Defense and all other lawful purposes."

• MD treats residents and non-residents the same. There is no residency requirement and no resident-vs-non resident issues.

• MD does NOT have a training or competency requirement.

• Fingerprints are required. MD. It appears that accept only electronic or Live Scan fingerprints, -- however MD State Police web site isn't clear as to when this becomes effective.

• The licensing division page is here: Maryland State Police > Organization > Support Services Bureau > Licensing Division

• Fingerprint rules are here: http://www.mdsp.org/Portals/0/Users/...%20Rules.A.pdf

• List of electronic fingerprint providers in MD is here: Fingerprinting Services / Fingerprinting Courses

• You must provide 3 references not related to you (page 12 of the application) and they state the references WILL be contacted.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    For this one case. I'm excited by the news and proud of what has been accomplished, however I don't feel like spending $112.50 each and every time I want to test their system.
    I fully respect any individual's decision not to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I further suspect that they will continue to scrutinize every application and decide which ones they want to process. MD won't turn into a shall issue state overnight. My opinion, YMMV, batteries not included, etc.
    They can't under their current law. As of right now, they have no authority to scrutinize any "need."

The Law was declared unconstitutional. This is a BIG one. This could be the end of "may issue" -- nationwide, if the decision stands all the way thorough a SCOTUS appeal. If it stands, "A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs." Now that is powerful.

However, as swinokur posted:

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    MD is appealing to the 4th Circuit and asking for a stay.
    You can bet other "may issue" States, the brady bunch, his dishonor from NYC, etc will weigh-in. The Forth Circuit has been inconsistent on 2A.

I expect they will get their stay. So, I may be out the $112.50, if we lose. But if we win, I plan to be near the front of the line for MD "Must Issue" permits.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Applicants that do not live in MD may use ink print cards even after March 19.
    Good catch.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

- Google Scholar

Kachalsky v cacace was a similar case in NY where good cause was held up. However, Maryland provided an interesting twist. The question then becomes, does rationing reduce violence....and does this meet the intermediate scrutiny definition if it does?(this is a rhethorical question). Hopefully the supreme court will get it and eliminate may issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    - Google Scholar

Kachalsky v cacace was a similar case in NY where good cause was held up. However, Maryland provided an interesting twist. The question then becomes, does rationing reduce violence....and does this meet the intermediate scrutiny definition if it does?(this is a rhethorical question). Hopefully the supreme court will get it and eliminate may issue.
    Yup!

Two different Circuits. If both are upheld at the appeal level, that's the stuff SCOTUS review are made of.

BTW, Alan Gura was counsel for plaintiffs in both cases.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

From what I read,but I may be wrong is that they can't prevent you from owning a handgun,as far as concealed carry I'm not seeing where it's changed anything yet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The state requested a stay. Attached
    Attached Files

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    From what I read,but I may be wrong is that they can't prevent you from owning a handgun,as far as concealed carry I'm not seeing where it's changed anything yet
    Maryland has a "list" of approved weapons, and a 7 day waiting period on handguns and some types of rifles. Aside from that the State isn't that restrictive of purchase (in my opinion), mostly the standard federal checks plus a Maryland check, but for most that just equates to additional paperwork to be filled out. There really isn't anything tike some other States requiring that pre-owned weapons being brought into the state have to be registered either. The "biggie" in Maryland is carry and transport! There is actually a "collectors" program that eases some of the transportation restrictions.

Some of the laws seem a little strange. One that amazes me is that with my C&R I can buy a (qualifying) handgun from outside the State and have it delivered right to my door (per federal law), buy if I buy the same handgun in-State I have to file the Maryland paperwork and wait the 7 days for approval (or non-denial as Maryland terms it) to bring the gun home.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It comes down to positive v negative confirmation. Positive meaning the have to say you need to Carry whereas negative is the cannot find a reason to not let you carry. Most people where I live would get a full carry if it was shall issue v may issue. That changes everything.

Maryland Non Resident Permit

Since MD's "Good Cause" requirement has been ruled unconstitutional does that mean we can all apply for their permit? Some places I have read that, that was one of the only questions making MD's permit a May Issue. Here is a bit of reading, just wonder what all think of this.

Maryland handgun ruling: AG asks judge to lift court order on gun permits - baltimoresun.com
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

It is interesting that they think legal gun holders will increase crime! Almost every state with nonrestrictive gun laws have incrementally lower gun crime. If you do not know who has a gun (or can see it) you will think twice about using one.

Is there not a saying If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns?

I like this kick Maryland Concealed Carry | Maryland's tight gun laws have not reduced crime - Baltimore Sun
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Gun crime statistics by US state: download the data. Visualised | World news | guardian.co.uk

check out this from the uk the states with the strictest laws,for the most part, have the highest gun crime rates
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

VIP Member
    You can apply, I'm sure they would be more than happy to take your money and give you nothing in return.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links