A sad day for Oregon University students...

This is a discussion on A sad day for Oregon University students... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, according to the article you can have guns in your car and on the grounds. I wonder how accurate that is? Probably just reporting ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A sad day for Oregon University students...

So, according to the article you can have guns in your car and on the grounds. I wonder how accurate that is? Probably just reporting half the information.

"which will immediately ban guns from classrooms, buildings, dormitories and sporting and entertainment events. "
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Not as a student or anybody involved in a business venture with the university, but as a random passerby.

Just got an email from the university that 2 students were just robbed at gunpoint a block off campus. These emails seem to stream in consistently.

Where was the university police when this occured? Nowhere to be found.

Given this is only university policy and not law (they cannot detain nor arrest me for this), I'm seriously considering carrying anyway. Eugene is no Compton, but I've seen more than my fair share of shady people out at night. Given I get off class / work usually well past dark, I am often walking alone in the dark to get to the bus stop.

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post

Just got an email from the university that 2 students were just robbed at gunpoint a block off campus. These emails seem to stream in consistently.

Where was the university police when this occured? Nowhere to be found.
    Being off campus, I wouldn't expect the campus police to be around. Do campus police have jurisdiction off campus?
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    This is why I am not a big fan of the West Coast... sorry guys
    The Northeast Coast has it's share of ANTI GUN Politics,FWIW you can't carry on Campus in Texas either,but we can carry in the State Capitol Building.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The Northeast Coast has it's share of ANTI GUN Politics,FWIW you can't carry on Campus in Texas either,but we can carry in the State Capitol Building.
    What do you consider NE? MA and south for a few hundred miles yes. NH, ME, VT have very good gun laws (6,6, and 7 on the Brady Bunch scale out of 100).

This probably sounds really cruel. It just a given that there will be more school and college shooting massacres. It is just a matter of time and location. It might be tomorrow, it might be 10 years from now. So having said that, I hope the location is one of the campuses in Oregon affected by this new policy.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Left coast logic defies common sense. There ought to be a study of student muggings and rapes by armed perps on campus. It happened to me.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Being off campus, I wouldn't expect the campus police to be around. Do campus police have jurisdiction off campus?
    That's my point. They want to deny students the ability to carry, yet they don't (and can't) provide adequate security for said students.

I

I don't think Oregon's Court of Appeals will take this insult lightly. "If we can't have an administrative rule banning guns we'll have a policy instead" doesn't pass the laugh test. I guarantee this gets fast-tracked back up to them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links