Defensive Carry banner

A sad day for Oregon University students...

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  randian 
#1 ·
Disgusting - I'm ashamed to be a part of this university system. I'm not entirely sure this is legal, but all I can say is that I believe in personal safety, policy or not.
It's amazing that these so called scholars can be so incapable of even basic thought processes.

Amidst the 2 big victories that we had recently (and they are great), this one really stings.

Oregon State Board of Higher Education resorts to policy to ban guns on campus | OregonLive.com

Oregon's higher education board unanimously adopted a policy that will ban guns from most corners of campus life at the state's seven universities.

The university system's top priority is campus safety, said Jim Francesconi, member of the State Board of Higher Education, which met Friday for a regular meeting at Portland State University. "That is our job. We are just doing our job."

No one spoke against the policy, which will immediately ban guns from classrooms, buildings, dormitories and sporting and entertainment events.

People who enter business relationships with state universities must agree not to carry guns on campus property. Those include students, employees, contractors, people buying tickets to university events or people renting university property. The policy blunts the victory for gun rights advocates a day earlier in the state Senate, which narrowly rejected Senate Bill 1594, a measure to bar people from carrying guns on a school or college campus.

More
Continuing coverage of efforts by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education to keep guns off Oregon college campuses.The state board policy, however, would not prevent people with concealed weapon permits from walking across a state university campus with a gun. They just couldn't enter any building or arena.

The policy also makes exceptions for police, military programs such as the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, residents in noncampus housing and hunting or target shooting clubs.

Punishment for violating the policy will vary, said George Pernsteiner, chancellor of the Oregon University System. Student violators, for example, would be subject to the conduct code, employees to disciplinary action and contractors to breach of contract.

Phillip Zerzan, public safety director at Portland State University, testified in support of the policy, arguing that guns raise the stakes when students are suicidal, angry, under mental strain or drinking at parties.

"I've witnessed the finality that firearms bring," said Zerzan, who formerly commanded an Oregon State Police area that included Oregon State University. "There are no policies, therapies or do-overs that can repair the damage caused by a gun shot wound."

The Oregon Court of Appeals ruled in September that the board did not have authority to regulate guns through the use of an administrative rule. But the court also said the board has broad control over its property. So the board turned to the policy to keep guns off its campuses.

The board also voted to extend Pernsteiner's contract through June 30, 2014, but is still negotiating terms. Pernsteiner, who has not had a pay raise in four years, earns $280,900 a year plus $12,720 in deferred compensation.

#2 ·
Unfortunately, many academia types are liberals, and therefore prone to illogical thought when it comes to the Second Ammendment. No one has ever shown evidence of a legally armed citizen causing an issue on a campus. This stance will NOT make the schools safer....likely just the opposite.

I share your disdain....

#3 ·
Amazing how those that are more educated are sometimes so wrong. When the serial killer who plans to commit suicide doesnt care about the law does this idiot think their dumba$$ law is going to stop them? Oh thats right, we fear the citizens who have gone through the process, havent shown any signs of danger, and are willing to let a government agency know they are armed! Genius! Not that I wish ill will on anyone, especially when my sister attends college in Oregon, but I would love for a real life example to change his mind. But it wont, he is probably more stubborn than that gas bag limbaugh...

#4 ·
Should there be an incident, where someone is killed or injured from someone coming onto one of their campuses, they just put theirself in a real situation. They have now stated that it is their job to keep their campuses safe. A failure to do so may open them up to a failure to do so lawsuit! It would be bad if this should take place, but should it, I'd like to see them taken to court and the above statement produced as evidence against them.

Reactions: tbrenke
#5 ·
that sucks.

#8 ·
If I were a student I would still carry. It is a POLICY not a law. If caught you would face expulsion not criminal charges.

Better to be judged by the Dean than be carried by six...or something.

Reactions: adric22
#9 ·
It will be a matter of time before a Fed Judge with a sack takes on a case that will change the official legal stance on campus carry. If we keep winning these victories it will be sooner than later.

Not related but still worth saying....
I am more worried that all this victory for guns is going to lead to a shadow assault on ammunition. Guns are rendered paper weight material without ammunition.

#11 ·
if I made 280K a year. there would be no need for a raise in the last 4 years eather.

how about a paycut for that job.
say down to the 100K that is still above most other police depertments.

#12 ·
Everybody in Oregon ought to be talking to their legislators. Policy does not over-rule law. The legislators need to be having serious chats with the members of the State Board and the Chancellor.

#14 ·
There was a recent attempt to ban firearms in state parks here because some BG decided to try and hide in a park. A Dem tried to get a law passed on that BG to ban them in State parks. Fortunately, our courts threw it out... I honestly could not see the tie in... and neither could the courts.

#19 ·
The Northeast Coast has it's share of ANTI GUN Politics,FWIW you can't carry on Campus in Texas either,but we can carry in the State Capitol Building.

#16 ·
So, according to the article you can have guns in your car and on the grounds. I wonder how accurate that is? Probably just reporting half the information.

"which will immediately ban guns from classrooms, buildings, dormitories and sporting and entertainment events. "

#17 ·
Not as a student or anybody involved in a business venture with the university, but as a random passerby.

Just got an email from the university that 2 students were just robbed at gunpoint a block off campus. These emails seem to stream in consistently.

Where was the university police when this occured? Nowhere to be found.

Given this is only university policy and not law (they cannot detain nor arrest me for this), I'm seriously considering carrying anyway. Eugene is no Compton, but I've seen more than my fair share of shady people out at night. Given I get off class / work usually well past dark, I am often walking alone in the dark to get to the bus stop.

#18 ·
Just got an email from the university that 2 students were just robbed at gunpoint a block off campus. These emails seem to stream in consistently.

Where was the university police when this occured? Nowhere to be found.
Being off campus, I wouldn't expect the campus police to be around. Do campus police have jurisdiction off campus?

#21 ·
This probably sounds really cruel. It just a given that there will be more school and college shooting massacres. It is just a matter of time and location. It might be tomorrow, it might be 10 years from now. So having said that, I hope the location is one of the campuses in Oregon affected by this new policy.

#22 ·
Left coast logic defies common sense. There ought to be a study of student muggings and rapes by armed perps on campus. It happened to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.