Carry on the job? Boss a 'prohibited person?' You're a criminal!

This is a discussion on Carry on the job? Boss a 'prohibited person?' You're a criminal! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://volokh.com/2012/03/07/distric...omment-1404055 But the court held that 18 U.S.C. 922(h), which bars people from knowingly possessing guns “in the course of … employment” “while being ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By juliandelph
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Carry on the job? Boss a 'prohibited person?' You're a criminal!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://volokh.com/2012/03/07/distric...omment-1404055

But the court held that 18 U.S.C. 922(h), which bars people from knowingly possessing guns “in the course of … employment” “while being employed for any person” who is himself a felon possessing guns.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Man, that was worded weirdly.
    Possessing a gun "in the course of employment" sounds like having a gun as part of your job, not your average CHL who carries no matter what they're doing.
    Also, it seems to imply if my boss is a felon that doesn't possess a gun, I'm fine.

Don't know about you guys, but I have no plans to ask my boss if he's a felon that owns guns. That's just not a topic that comes up in conversation... ever.
    Toorop and atctimmy like this.

the defendants were allegedly members of the Pagans Motorcycle Club, and were allegedly taking instructions from a club leader who was a convicted felon
    I would think that the bodyguard is “employed for” the felon, though not employed by the felon.
    Bad facts make bad law. It appears from a quick analysis this case will be distinguishable on many levels.

I would not worry about it at all, but I do not hang around felons.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

From what I gathered is that the prohibited person had control over the persons who had legal guns and therefore had posession of a firearm by being able to control them on when and how to use them,and even possibly having access by asking for a firearm.
    I wonder if they can use this law against Gangbangers that are convicted felons and can't possess a firearm so they have their Girl friends carry instead until they ask for it
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Bad facts make bad law. It appears from a quick analysis this case will be distinguishable on many levels.

I would not worry about it at all, but I do not hang around felons.
    Are you absolutely sure about that? Do the felons in your area have big F's tattooed to their foreheads? I just recently found out that a friend of over fifteen years was a felon from another State. Caught me completely by surprise. He's a good family man well respected and active in the church here.

Michael

Are you absolutely sure about that?
    Yes. I subject all acquaintances, friends and family to my polygraph machine.

I should have added "knowingly"

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I have no plans to ask my boss if he's a felon that owns guns.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Funny how the actual case involved guys carrying on behalf of a criminal outlaw biker gang leader has now conspiratorially essentially become a fantasy case of somebody working at a legit business whose boss happens to be a felon, being guilty of violating 922(g).
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Funny how the actual case involved guys carrying on behalf of a criminal outlaw biker gang leader has now conspiratorially essentially become a fantasy case of somebody working at a legit business whose boss happens to be a felon, being guilty of violating 922(g).
    Exactly... a fantasy for anti gun nuts...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Always assume that if a law makes something a crime some government bureaucrat, somewhere, will decide to use it. RICO prosecutions have been levied against people it was never intended for.

They probably won't be specifically looking for 922(g) violations, but I guarantee threat of prosecution under 922(g) will be used to leverage testimony or plea bargains to lesser charges. Charge stacking is another convenient use of such a statute.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    From what I gathered is that the prohibited person had control over the persons who had legal guns and therefore had posession of a firearm by being able to control them on when and how to use them,and even possibly having access by asking for a firearm.
    I wonder if they can use this law against Gangbangers that are convicted felons and can't possess a firearm so they have their Girl friends carry instead until they ask for it
    Isn't that essentially what this case was? The Pagans are not The Shriners.

Sponsored Links