Gun Control and the Second Amendment symposium

This is a discussion on Gun Control and the Second Amendment symposium within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Volokh Conspiracy Publication party for “Firearms Law and the Second Amendment” Publication party for “Firearms Law and the Second Amendment” David Kopel • ...

Thread: Gun Control and the Second Amendment symposium

VIP Member

The Volokh Conspiracy Publication party for “Firearms Law and the Second Amendment”

Publication party for “Firearms Law and the Second Amendment”
    David Kopel • March 8, 2012 4:09 pm

On Friday, March 9, Fordham Law School is holding an all-day symposium on the Second Amendment. The event is free, and open to the public. Or if you would prefer to pay, you can get CLE credits. Among the speakers are Gary Kleck, Nelson Lund, Robert Cottrol, Nicholas Johnson, Adam Winkler, and me.

After the event ends at 5 p.m., we are going to have an informal event to celebrate the publication of the new law school textbook Firearms Law & the Second Amendment; Regulation, Rights, and Policy. (By Nicholas J. Johnson , David B. Kopel , George A. Mocsary , Michael P. O’Shea.) Three of the four co-authors (Johnson, Kopel, and Mocsary) will be there. Our tentative plan is to hang around Fordham for a little while, and then proceed to P.J. Clark’s at 44 W. 63rd Street in Manhattan. VC readers are welcome to join us.

Or if you would just like to buy the book, you can order it from Amazon, or from the Aspen Publishers link, above.
    Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this event or the book. DaveH
    Last edited by DaveH; March 9th, 2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Dave, thanks for posting. Of course anyone planning to attend should note the location in NYC and
    act appropriately regarding their own EDC.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Of course anyone planning to attend should note the location in NYC and act appropriately regarding their own EDC.
    Rather like the upcoming 141st NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits at America's Center in the heart of St Louis, MO -- Note the yellow box at bottom of page. 2012 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Is this meeting pro or anti?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Is this meeting pro or anti?
    The NRA meeting or the Fordham University School of Law meeting?

--------

Joking aside, the speakers at Fordham meeting were to be a mixed bag of conflicting views (including some well known Libertian pro-rights speakers):

Professor Nicholas J. Johnson, Professor of Law, Fordham University School of Law

Professor Adam Winkler, Professor of Law, University of California Los Angeles School of Law

David B. Kopel, Esq., Research Director, Independence Institute

Richard M. Aborn, Esq., President, Citizens Crime Commission of New York City

Don B. Kates, Jr., Esq., Research Fellow, Independent Institute

Professor Saul Cornell, Paul and Diane Guenther Chair in American History, Fordham University

Professor Carlisle E. Moody, Professor of Economics, College of William & Mary

Michael Pastor, Esq., Acting First Deputy Criminal Justice Coordinator,
    Office of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg

Professor Gary Kleck, Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice,
    Florida State University College of Criminology

Patrick Charles, Esq., Historian, United States Air Force 352nd Special Operations Group

Professor Nelson Lund, Patrick Henry Professor of Constitutional Law and the Second Amendment, George Mason University School of Law

Michael B. de Leeuw, Esq., Partner, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP

Professor Robert J. Cottrol, Harold Paul Green Research Professor of Law and Professor of History and Sociology George Washington University

Professor Brian Anse Patrick, Associate Professor of Communications, University of Toledo
    Last edited by DaveH; March 9th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Rather like the upcoming 141st NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits at America's Center in the heart of St Louis, MO -- Note the yellow box at bottom of page. 2012 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits

What is it with the NRA??? They seem to have a proclivity for finding places to meet that do not allow CC or OC. Why do they insist on spending our money that way? I simply will not attend a NRA conferences that are in CPZs.

They need to go to a state that recognizes all permits and find a building that is not posted or off limits by law.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    They need to go to a state that recognizes all permits and find a building that is not posted or off limits by law.
    Exactly
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    What is it with the NRA???

SNIP

Speaking of buildings, does anyone know if the NRA HQ building is posted? I have heard it is but haven't confirmed that it is.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Pear88 View Post
    There must be decency and respect and veneration for persons of authority of every rank."
    Except me, because I carry a gun.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Speaking of buildings, does anyone know if the NRA HQ building is posted? I have heard it is but haven't confirmed that it is.
    FYI -- I have confirmed that confirmed that VCDL members have carried in that building and have never seen a Gun Buster sign.

It seems that a poster on a blog I frequent was wrong.

Thought I clear-up any misconception my question might have spread.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links