Gun instructors hope measure is shot down

This is a discussion on Gun instructors hope measure is shot down within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IMHO, education is a good thing, but the road to, etc., is paved with good intentions. Say eliminating education component would be dangerous. By ANTHONY ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By gunthorp
  • 2 Post By Toorop
  • 2 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 3 Post By Elk Hunter
  • 1 Post By Elk Hunter
  • 2 Post By peckman28
  • 2 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Gun instructors hope measure is shot down

Gun instructors hope measure is shot down

IMHO, education is a good thing, but the road to, etc., is paved with good intentions.

Say eliminating education component would be dangerous.

By ANTHONY A. MESTAS | anthonym@chieftain.com

A proposed bill that would allow law-abiding Colorado gun owners to carry a concealed firearm without a concealed carry permit would be dangerous and would shoot down important gun training, two local firearms instructors said Sunday.

Leonard Jimenez, president of the Pueblo Municipal Shooters, and Patrick Watts, a retired Arizona sheriff's deputy and firearms instructor, said education is the only safe way for people to understand concealed weapons laws.

Watts held a four-hour seminar on the subject at the shooter's club Sunday.

The state's current law prohibits carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a weapon on school, college or university grounds with certain exceptions.

HB1092, introduced by Rep. Kevin Priola, R-Henderson, on Jan. 17, would allow anyone who may legally possess a handgun and who carries a concealed handgun the same rights and is subject to the same limitations as a concealed handgun permit holder.

Jimenez said about 90 percent of the people who have firearms — other than avid hunters and sportsmen — know very little about how to handle them safely.

"There is more to shooting a gun than just pointing it and pulling the trigger," Jimenez said.

"I feel that if the Legislature allows everyone to carry a gun without any type of training, it could present a major problem."

Watts also said he was against the proposed bill.

"I was against a similar law that was passed in Arizona a few years ago. Training and education is a necessity," Watts said.

"People need to be educated and just having a gun doesn't necessarily solve problems, but it damn sure creates them if you don't have proper training."

Jimenez, also a firearms instructor, said most of the students he teaches own firearms and have decided to take a class to better prepare themselves should the occasion come that they need to defend themselves.

Jimenez said by removing the education step to allow people to carry firearms, more people may be apt to carry a gun in their car or in their pocket and feel that they are adequately prepared.

"But what would one do in a stressful situation should a need arise to protect themselves and their home or if they are somewhere out in public?" Jimenez asked.

Watts, who has lived in Pueblo for the past five years, said there are several professional and well-educated people who think they know a lot about guns and the law, but don't.

He said the average person who is concerned about crime and wants to carry a concealed weapon have a false mindset.

‘‘They think, ‘I got a gun, don't screw with me. I'll show you who's boss,’ ’’ Watts said.

"They don't know what the law says about when you can and can't use a weapon in self-defense."

Watts said people have a very stilted view based on what other people say.

"They believe everything that is on the Internet," Watts said.

"I am the most pro-Second Amendment person you will ever talk to . . . But when it comes to carrying a weapon with the mindset you are going to use it for self-defense, you better make sure you know how to use it properly and by the law."
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like they might lose some business. Is training good, YES. Should it be LAW: NO.
    Even his argument is stupid. Saying except for hunters and avid sportsman...Avid is not synonymous with competence. LEO's military, and gun owners that are requuired to get training screw up all the time. Plus, you can train a brand new gun owner in a class to minimum standards and if they do not go to the range, do follow up training, years later they are just as competent as they were before they went to training (I know, I simplified it a bit but you get the idea)

Ignorant and hypocritical people unfortunately able to get attention, while claiming to be Pro-2A. Blah.........

suntzu, DaveH and Eaglebeak like this.

VIP Member
    Less government = more liberty = more chance stupidity and carelessness are self correcting.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    It sounds like they are anti-freedom to me.
    DaveH and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Should not be law. We should have "constitutional carry" in 50 states. I don't care who you are, you could use some more training but, it should not be a requirement.
    Rock and Glock and DaveH like this.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I strongly believe everyone should get good training to be proficient and safe.

TRAINING SHOULD NOT BE A REQUIREMENT FOR EXERCISING YOUR RIGHT.

That is the mentality of most Americans..... money comes before The Constitution and that will be our downfall.

Someone just doesn't want to find a replacement source of income. Several states don't require classes, and there are no problems because of it.

It shouldn't be necessary to exercise a right, but it is the responsible thing to become proficient with your weapon and to know the laws.

The only reason I'm taking a class is so I can buy stuff from the CMP.
    Last edited by tubadude; March 9th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    The current requirements in Colorado are not all that strignet. Today if you took Hunter Saftey or an NRA First Step class within the last 10 years you can use that as proof of safe gun handling. Some of these guys have made it sound like you need there class or there is a good chance you will go to jail. Anyone who can read the Colorado Statuts and understand where and when you can carry and your right to defend yourself.

No Training Requirement to Exercise Your Rght.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I'm all for people getting some firearms training, voluntarily. Constitutional carry is not something that should be opposed or feared, and if 90% of all gun owners were as ignorant and stupid as this guy would have us believe this country would be a bloodbath.
    DaveH and Toorop like this.

VIP Member

Thumbs down PRINO

Spare me the Pro-Rights-In-Name-Only

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Free means free, not necessarily safe. Trading one for the other becomes problematic.
    Toorop and DaveH like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Free means free, not necessarily safe. Trading one for the other becomes problematic.
    I agree.

Links