Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation goes to the US Senate.

This is a discussion on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation goes to the US Senate. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by livewire9880 I agree with you on pretty much everything you cite as an example. I just can't connect the two things. Frankly, ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation goes to the US Senate.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I agree with you on pretty much everything you cite as an example. I just can't connect the two things.

Frankly, the healthcare debate doesn't belong here, but you're trying to use it as a correlation between big government taking advantage of us, and pro-gun forces managing to squeeze a bill in in spite of the current trend of shafting the population because they're bigger than us.

The system might have it's problems, and maybe we're seeing its collapse. But we're not there yet, so we can still work within the system. This bill is an example, but you're all so gunshy (no pun intended) that you can't see a the good thing in the muck. That's what this bill is... one good shiny object in a legislative season that's full of sewage.
    There isn't a bunny in the box of pellets. It's just scat. It's shiny only to entice you to jump in.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    He's afraid that nonresident reciprocity would go away... I.E., his Florida permit wouldn't get him what it does now. That's why I quoted the wording of the bill's relevant parts.
    I think I'm lost a bit. His concern is what? That his present FL non-resident which is recognized in some states
    may not be recognized by them in the future? Is this the issue?

His own state doesn't recognize his FL non-resident so
    I'm puzzled how this is an issue; he can't legally travel from a place (NJ) where he isn't legal to a state
    where he is legal (PA). OTOH if he has a NJ license he'd be good to go in NY.

I understand that this law doesn't help folks who actually live permanently in the most restrictive states. I don't see
    though how it would harm them. Am I missing something?

Is the fear that PA will stop recognizing the FL non-residence license? I can't see why.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think I'm lost a bit. His concern is what? That his present FL non-resident which is recognized in some states
    may not be recognized by them in the future? Is this the issue?

His own state doesn't recognize his FL non-resident so
    I'm puzzled how this is an issue; he can't legally travel from a place (NJ) where he isn't legal to a state
    where he is legal (PA). OTOH if he has a NJ license he'd be good to go in NY.

I understand that this law doesn't help folks who actually live permanently in the most restrictive states. I don't see
    though how it would harm them. Am I missing something?

Is the fear that PA will stop recognizing the FL non-residence license? I can't see why.
    The fear is that states will drop their existing recognition agreements if this passes because there would be no need, and that this bill wouldn't help them.

It's unfounded, as the text of the law would make their nonresident permit valid in any state but their own, but that's part of the FUD that's being propagated by the Antis.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Is the fear that PA will stop recognizing the FL non-residence license?
    There's certainly less impetus to create or maintain a reciprocity agreement were a bill like HR822 to become law.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    There's certainly less impetus to create or maintain a reciprocity agreement were a bill like HR822 to become law.
    The point is though, that they won't be necessary as it will be mandated. Originally, I thought that's how it would be too; if you can't get a permit at home, your nonresident permit would be pointless and you couldn't really carry anywhere. Maybe that's the way it originally was. But, in the final version that passed the House, rmilchman would be able to carry in every state but two... New Jersey and Illinois. NJ wouldn't be obligated to observe his FL permit, but any other state with a permit would.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Maybe I missed but why would your permit not be valid in NJ? NJ does issues permits but on a VERY limited basis. As for the more restictive states they usually have the less restictions on where you can carry since so few have the right. My friend's NY permit has very few restrictions.

If a law made it so you could carry in any state, would my guns be illegal on many states? Would I have to get 10 round mags and a loaded chamber indicator to carry in California? Would I have to have a safety lever on my Glock to carry in Massachusetts? I'm sure there are other restrictions that states would have.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Distinguished Member
    According to CA Penal Code 12276.1(5), "A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" is an "assault weapon". I'm not a lawyer, but the penalties for possession of an assault weapon in CA look like they will ruin your day.
    As far as possession of a gun not considered "safe" by CA DOJ, you should be OK as long as you don't give it (like to shoot) or sell it to anyone.
    If congress ever forces CA to recognize other states' permits, I welcome my fellow DCer's to PM if you're going to be near Long Beach.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Maybe I missed but why would your permit not be valid in NJ? NJ does issues permits but on a VERY limited basis. As for the more restictive states they usually have the less restictions on where you can carry since so few have the right. My friend's NY permit has very few restrictions.
    My FL permit would not be valid in NJ, because I am a NJ resident. To carry in your own state you require a permit from your state.
    Glock Armorer

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Links