Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation goes to the US Senate.

This is a discussion on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation goes to the US Senate. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Pistology We established that this bill does nothing for citizens of IL. Can anyone tell me why the bill passed the IL ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation goes to the US Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    We established that this bill does nothing for citizens of IL. Can anyone tell me why the bill passed the IL delegation by a vote of 11-7 including two Democrats in favor when in the general house the vote was mostly along party lines?
    OH but it does do something for IL residents

If an IL resident were to get a Florida, Maine or Utah permit they would be good to go in every state but their home state. I had a Florida permit before Missouri had CCW and could carry in most states, just not my home state.

2. Remove Ads

If this passes I see:

NY, CA, most of New England, NJ, MD, DE, IL, possibly WI, HI and maybe others doing away with their concealed weapon laws ( or not passing any in the case of IL) to stop out of staters from carrying in their state. I also see states suing to have the law stopped based upon past SCOTUS decisions and a federal appeals judges shooting it down and SCOTUS not hearing the case because not only are they afraid to take anything regarding concealed carry on but especially treading water in the states rights arena.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Careful here... to my knowledge, other than DC, there is no city in the US where concealed carry is banned completely where it is allowed elsewhere in the state. Can someone confirm or refute that?
    - There are a few towns in CT that have banned concealed carry. Since CT isn't a strictly concealed carry state, I assume you just have to open carry in those towns.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - There are a few towns in CT that have banned concealed carry. Since CT isn't a strictly concealed carry state, I assume you just have to open carry in those towns.
    Which towns ?. New Britain ?. Anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Which towns ?. New Britain ?. Anymore.
    - New London. I've seen various postings on other boards that state preemption would throw these laws out if it was ever brought to court, but I'm not a lawyer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    - New London. I've seen various postings on other boards that state preemption would throw these laws out if it was ever brought to court, but I'm not a lawyer.
    Yes I may have heard of New London as well. Nuts.

Think about who we are dealing with. Any seemingly pro carry legislation at the federal level is nothing more than a trojan horse power grab. Keep it in the states.
    Pistology likes this.

So New London is trying to emulate it's older brother? I guess I can't fault it for that

Quote Originally Posted by MisterAvis View Post
    Think about who we are dealing with. Any seemingly pro carry legislation at the federal level is nothing more than a trojan horse power grab. Keep it in the states.
    Funny... I just read almost those exact words in an article about HR.822. It was a quote from the Brady Campaign.
    Last edited by livewire; March 15th, 2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: merge
    Hopyard likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Careful here... to my knowledge, other than DC, there is no city in the US where concealed carry is banned completely where it is allowed elsewhere in the state. Can someone confirm or refute that?
    Here are the closest I can think of:

A regular New York carry permit allows concealed carry everywhere in New York State but New York City.
    Maine bans concealed carry in the entirety of its Capitol Area, whether or not you're actually in a government building.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Here are the closest I can think of:

A regular New York carry permit allows concealed carry everywhere in New York State but New York City.
    Maine bans concealed carry in the entirety of its Capitol Area, whether or not you're actually in a government building.
    In this case, the bill in question would make an out of state permit the same as a NY permit with an NYC endorsement (or however that works).

Is the Maine "Capitol area" the same as the "Capitol City" or is it more like a school zone where it covers the Capitol building and a certain defined area around it?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Is the Maine "Capitol area" the same as the "Capitol City" or is it more like a school zone where it covers the Capitol building and a certain defined area around it?
    It's a specific zone in Augusta, plus specific named buildings, plus anything else owned, leased, or used by the state of Maine anywhere in Augusta, even though such places would not be off limits to concealed carry were they outside Augusta.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    It's a specific zone in Augusta, plus specific named buildings, plus anything else owned, leased, or used by the state of Maine anywhere in Augusta, even though such places would not be off limits to concealed carry were they outside Augusta.
    ...complicated. I hope this stuff is all well posted.

-- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 43hertz View Post
    This is completely incorrect.

822 will not force Illinois to honor anyones license because it is illegal to CCW in Illinois.

822 will only make states allow you to carry under their rules with any other states permit, and in Illinois their rules are that you can't at all.

It's entirely possible that some states may curtail or otherwise change their own CCW rules, possibly even to the point of disallowing CCW altogether ( I'm looking at Wisconsin, where CCW is new and tenuous at best depending on the upcoming recall election), so that people with no training requirement don't carry in their state.

I'm distinctly against this bill as it will give the Feds a nose under the tent towards regulating firearms in one more way than they have now.

Fortunately, it's likely to never leave the Senate.

We're making such good strides in so many states as it is that I'm not for letting the Feds fool with it.

Look at where CCW was ten years ago then look at where it is today, without Fed involvement.

I'm in it for the long gain, not the short sugar rush.

Edit to add: there is no legal requirement that states honor each others drivers license. This is a much repeated fallacy and should really be put to rest.

Works the same way for marriage licenses, else gay marriage would be honored in all states.

Amazing....Every state is hooked up to NCIC and other data bases that supply information on people who are traffic stopped hundreds of times every day and I don't think any state law enforcement officer would ever say on the radio or on their computer they don't recognize the operators license of another state. If they did they would have an audience with a command officer or a Chief and go to retraining. Fact is it is a reciprical agreement between states and they all cooperate. I know I would not like to be the first LEO to try that. When the Chief got done with you, the worst part comes facing other LEO's in your department for the rest of your career.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Distinguished Member
    There is a lot of pressure in Illinois to enact legal carry, and a lot of the politicians in IL have a pro-gun opinion. Just not enough to get past the severely Anti governors they've had. If there is a conspiracy here, it's just as likely to be our own...
    I see. Not quite a veto-override majority but very close. It probably would have been 12-7 but for a non-voting Republican (if the congressional delegation is any comparison to the state legislative body).
    Hopefully, there is a sea change on the horizon in IL - and gun prohibitions are soon to be a thing of the past.
    Still 822 is wrong, and congress is in favor of anything that they can tweak later with more regulation.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    OH but it does do something for IL residents

If an IL resident were to get a Florida, Maine or Utah permit they would be good to go in every state but their home state. I had a Florida permit before Missouri had CCW and could carry in most states, just not my home state.
    Why can't IL resident can get those permits, now?
    How does 822 improve the status quo?
    I'm afraid that congress (particularly Republicans) is for this bill for all of it's inherently wrong reasons.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links