What’s Next for Gun Rights? - Page 2

What’s Next for Gun Rights?

This is a discussion on What’s Next for Gun Rights? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's next for gun rights? Haven't you heard? No rights at all. Be prepared....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What’s Next for Gun Rights?

What's next for gun rights? Haven't you heard? No rights at all. Be prepared.
    Metalman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    I think each state has its own todo list on where to go next.
    In Ohio:
    - We need to get rid of the responsibility to notify of concealed carry during a traffic stop.
    - We need to make it legal to stow you weapon in your car in any parking lot where the car itself is allowed.

At the Federal level:
    - We need to get rid of some of the gun-free zones. Like the 1000 foot invisible wall of felonies around any school property line. At least shrink it to the actual school building. Driving past a school shouldn't be illegal.
    - I think I should be able to go the post office or SSN adminstration, at very least the parking lots.
    - It would be nice if I could visit some of the buildings in national parks.

Some states like New York, Wisconsin, and Illinois still have very long todo list. Anything would be an improvement there.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but according to this section of the Gun-Free School Zone law

"(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

It is ok to drive by a school zone with a loaded firearm IF you are licensed to carry by your state.

If you're in another state, does reciprocity count towards this clause???

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I feel like this is important enough for clarity for all members here.

And honestly just curious here... why not inform LEO of carry status when stopped???

Just the possiblility of putting a rookie in a potentially nervous state unnecessarily?
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Involving an agreement between all states at the governer and AD levels. Not federal. you do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT x 1,789,789,653,290 x10 do not want the feds to manage something like this.
    Bam, right there people. What the good gov give us, the good gov taketh away. If they can, then believe me, someday, they will. As it stands, they cannot do squat about what the states want (I'm sure they could do some financial strong-arming though) on this issue, and it needs to stay that way. As tango said, what we should really want is an agreement between all states, not something that is mandated by the government.
    43hertz and Metalman like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Bam, right there people. What the good gov give us, the good gov taketh away. If they can, then believe me, someday, they will. As it stands, they cannot do squat about what the states want (I'm sure they could do some financial strong-arming though) on this issue, and it needs to stay that way. As tango said, what we should really want is an agreement between all states, not something that is mandated by the government.
    Agreed.

We've made so much progress in the past ten-ish years and we've done that step by step, building a strong foundation stone by carefully hewn stone.
    Let's not be swayed by politicians (and honestly, by many common citizens here and elsewhere who are way too comfortable with big government programs) offering an all-encompassing shelter when it's actually just a rickety shack that can be burned to the ground with an errant spark.

Imagine for a moment that we get a national reciprocity or a national SYG law or similar.

Would you really put it past the antis to stage one, ten, or one hundred Trayvon Martin-esque incidents to burn the whole thing to the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    - What incentive would states like NY, IL and CA have for recognizing out of state permits? It's not like they're currently the shining stars of the 2nd.
    sixsccw likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - What incentive would states like NY, IL and CA have for recognizing out of state permits? It's not like they're currently the shining stars of the 2nd.
    Been saying that forever. The whole system needs major overhaul before anything like 822 could pass.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

What is next for gun rights is simple.

We have to fight 24/7 365 days a year for our 2nd amendment rights. The other side will never go away so we have to grow stronger and stronger to preserve our right.
    sixsccw and Metalman like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I would rather that they never do than for the federal government to allow nationwide reciprocity...it should never be in their hands. Either way, I would also be inclined to say that the individual person would have much more success changing the legislation of their own state than ever reaching a goal of country wide reciprocity. That's just how I see it though.
    sixsccw likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Pro 2nd amendment guys will continue to chip away at current laws to enable more freedom while the anti's will use any and every shooting to take away our freedom.

By the way the SC house passed a couple of bills yesterday. One allowing carry in restaurants that serve alcohol but no drinkmy while carrying and another that deals with several issues but would chnage our reciprocity law to be a recognition law. It the second bill passes the senate, SC would recognize all other states' permits.

If Obama is elected for a second term all this conversation will mean nothing. There are dark and nefarious plans being laid right now that have nothing to do with the constitution or law --- any law. Serializing ammo, taxing ammo, taxing guns sales, inspecting and auditing gun manufacturers, law suits, law suits and more law suits. The IRS will be at gun importers withing weeks of the election. Etc, etc, etc. We can not even imagine.

In toyday's WSJ, John Yoo discusses the Supreme Court, in the context of Obamacare, but had a number of other points relevant. John Yoo: What Conservative Legal Revolution? - WSJ.com

He notes that the winner of this November's presidential election may be able to appoint three new Justices. In 2016, Ginsburg will be 83, Scalia and Kennedy will turn 80, and Breyer will be 78.

This election will determine the fate of the supreme court and have the chance to lock into place a conservative court majority or to launch a liberal counterrevolution.

Should President Obama win re-election, he may even appoint a majority of the Supreme Court that conceivably could be in a position to reverse any decision on any of the recent firearms victories.
    Metalman likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links