What’s Next for Gun Rights?

This is a discussion on What’s Next for Gun Rights? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Link: What "...judging by a conference hosted by the Fordham Urban Law Journal last Friday, the two sides of the gun-control debate have simply regrouped, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What’s Next for Gun Rights?

What’s Next for Gun Rights?

Link:
    What

"...judging by a conference hosted by the Fordham Urban Law Journal last Friday, the two sides of the gun-control debate have simply regrouped, recalibrated their expectations, and lined up for battle once again. As definitive as Heller and McDonald may seem, they offer little guidance to lawmakers and lower courts as to what kinds of gun control are still permissible."

This is just a general article addressing the current state of the issue.

We're still not out of the woods by a long shot. Arbitrary declarations of "mental illness," purchase limits, requiring private sellers to conduct background checks on purchasers, and microstamping both guns and ammunition components are all being fielded as potential control features of ever more "big government."

The realignment of major party control of government can cause a renewed effort to adopt hard line gun control efforts and the balance of power changes. We know which political party has historically been the home of such efforts but neither one is lily-white and vigilance is necessary. Some "law and order" Republican types jumped on board with "Gun Control '68" so watch out.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

I think each state has its own todo list on where to go next.
    In Ohio:
    - We need to get rid of the responsibility to notify of concealed carry during a traffic stop.
    - We need to make it legal to stow you weapon in your car in any parking lot where the car itself is allowed.

At the Federal level:
    - We need to get rid of some of the gun-free zones. Like the 1000 foot invisible wall of felonies around any school property line. At least shrink it to the actual school building. Driving past a school shouldn't be illegal.
    - I think I should be able to go the post office or SSN adminstration, at very least the parking lots.
    - It would be nice if I could visit some of the buildings in national parks.

Some states like New York, Wisconsin, and Illinois still have very long todo list. Anything would be an improvement there.
    MisterAvis and beararms like this.

Do not be lulled by freedom into thinking we are safe. Tyranny and oppression never sleep and are always knocking at the door. Power makes men weak. Politics makes them corrupt and self serving. When they have fallen into that vice, control is the key to retaining power. This repeats itself throughout the modern history of man.

Hmm, well, Wisconsin has made big strides recently. The only issues we really have now are the ones we allowed to remain in effect because of Federal laws. If you mistakenly used Wisconsin instead of New Jersey, then that would make sense. You also forgot California and Hawaii.

My apologies to Wisconsin for lumping you in with with the other more hostile states. I knew you had a brand new CCW law on the books. I figured it was would still be filled with problems. However, after reading up on it a bit, it looks like in one swift move you have leapfrogged Ohio in freedom. Here we have had laws on the books for some time and have been slowly knocking off the many rough edges over time.

"It would be nice if I could visit some of the buildings in national parks."

I know this is being picky, but you *can* visit some of the buildings in national parks but only those where a federal employee does not spend most of their time. Or some other silly wording.

For example, in Mount Rainier National Park there is a hotel where I'm informed you CAN carry a weapon because no federal employee works there - it's run by another company and the employees are local, not federal.

Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    "It would be nice if I could visit some of the buildings in national parks."

I know this is being picky, but you *can* visit some of the buildings in national parks but only those where a federal employee does not spend most of their time. Or some other silly wording.

For example, in Mount Rainier National Park there is a hotel where I'm informed you CAN carry a weapon because no federal employee works there - it's run by another company and the employees are local, not federal.

Just FYI.
    I know there are a few exceptions, but sadly with the current wording it is very hard to know before entering the building. Sometimes the line between federal employee and private government affiliate is a bit blurry. The whole prohibition just needs to be removed.

VIP Member
    As one who does a fair amount of interstate travel, I see reciprocity as a huge issue. Ohio and Pennsylvania, for example, do not recognize each other's permit, and yet each happily issued me a permit, one for sixty-seven dollars, the other for twenty-five. Similarly, New Hampshire, a may-issue state which refuses to recognize any other state's non-resident permit, gladly issued a non-resident permit to me for $100.
    sid1 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As one who does a fair amount of interstate travel, I see reciprocity as a huge issue. Ohio and Pennsylvania, for example, do not recognize each other's permit, and yet each happily issued me a permit, one for sixty-seven dollars, the other for twenty-five. Similarly, New Hampshire, a may-issue state which refuses to recognize any other state's non-resident permit, gladly issued a non-resident permit to me for $100.
    Yes, but doesn't this get rather expensive to have to have all the permits and have to know when they expire etc? I agree with you that the reciprocity is huge. But with some states only offering a local permit if you are lucky, how can we ever get reciprocity. Doesn't this need to be solved at the national level?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Yes, but doesn't this get rather expensive to have to have all the permits and have to know when they expire etc? I agree with you that the reciprocity is huge. But with some states only offering a local permit if you are lucky, how can we ever get reciprocity. Doesn't this need to be solved at the national level?
    Yes, I am advocating nationwide reciprocity.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Bring select fire back please. Thanks bye.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Yes, I am advocating nationwide reciprocity.
    Involving an agreement between all states at the governer and AD levels. Not federal. you do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT x 1,789,789,653,290 x10 do not want the feds to manage something like this.
    wmhawth, 43hertz and MisterAvis like this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    My apologies to Wisconsin for lumping you in with with the other more hostile states. I knew you had a brand new CCW law on the books. I figured it was would still be filled with problems. However, after reading up on it a bit, it looks like in one swift move you have leapfrogged Ohio in freedom. Here we have had laws on the books for some time and have been slowly knocking off the many rough edges over time.
    That's why we're going to re-elect Scott Walker as governor in the upcoming recall election.

Ace
    43hertz likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I think I'm seeing a trend here, and it starts with "$" ...

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

As it stands Fl. laws are pretty good. The new battle, after a certain high profile case, will be to keep the SYG law on the books and unmodified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links