Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD

This is a discussion on Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by B. Adams I'm not complaining too much, since I'd get a permit so I could carry out of state anyway, but I'm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
    I'm not complaining too much, since I'd get a permit so I could carry out of state anyway, but I'm disappointed this law didn't pass. I've never thought that the permit cost of $10 for 4 years was prohibitive though.

FWIW, I believe the county sheriff's cut of the $10 permit cost is $2, which I'm sure doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the background check they do. And the "card" is plain white paper, printed in black ink on both sides, and laminated. It's not fancy, and there's not a photo on it, so the $8 that goes to the state probably covers that cost.
    Thanks for a local take. Disappointed, as you are certainly entitled to be, is a far cry from demanding his ouster next election.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
    FWIW, I believe the county sheriff's cut of the $10 permit cost is $2, which I'm sure doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the background check they do. And the "card" is plain white paper, printed in black ink on both sides, and laminated. It's not fancy, and there's not a photo on it, so the $8 that goes to the state probably covers that cost.
    I've often wondered....what is the cost of running a background check? It's just a person in the sheriff's dept making a phone call or a computer NICS check, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    House failed to override the veto.
    That's a terrible understatement. The vote for passage was 50-18, a veto-overriding majority. The vote for actually overriding the veto was 27-40. Almost half of the yes votes changed to no. That says that the original vote was a sham, made only so anti-gun legislators could say they "voted yes but we couldn't override the veto".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How can anyone legitimately complain about no training requirements and a $10 fee, which probably doesn't even cover the cost of the card and background check?
    We should complain about ANY permit required. Until the day that no permits are required anywhere, and residents of all 50 states and the DC can lawfully purchase and carry a gun with no governmental hassles.

We get to that point with lots of little steps, and the occasional big ones (like WI last year).
    FTG-05 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    We should complain about ANY permit required. Until the day that no permits are required anywhere, and residents of all 50 states and the DC can lawfully purchase and carry a gun with no governmental hassles.

We get to that point with lots of little steps, and the occasional big ones (like WI last year).
    An opinion I do not share.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I totally agree with this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links