Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD

This is a discussion on Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't think the votes will be there for the legislature to override the veto, should they decide to even try. It wasn't the best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD

Angry Governor vetoes permitless conclealed carrry in SD

I don't think the votes will be there for the legislature to override the veto, should they decide to even try.

It wasn't the best permitless carry bill, since it required an SD driver's license (and only a DL would suffice) as proof of state residency. But it was a move in the right direction.

Again, the reasoning he gives for vetoing is that LE would have difficulty verifying if a CCer was legit or not. How is that different from determining if a (no permit required) OCer is legit or not? Dumb reasoning.

News article here.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Sounds like the law may have a few bugs. My hope is that as more and more of these laws are introduced in various states they will start passing. Did not make it through Colorado either.

New York with a permittless concealed carry... one day, I think something has to freeze over first.

Bummer.

It passed 22-11 in the Senate and 50-18 in the House, so an override is a possibility.

That will show them law abidin citizens what fer....maybe they should implement some Chicago style laws to cut down on their gun violence. Plus now they can add a free speech tax without looking to hypocritical.
    accessbob and Sig 210 like this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

What do they do to verify criminals are not legally carrying? They could check to see if you had been arrested for anything that would prevent you from legally carrying a gun. Govenor needs to be replaced next election.
    43hertz and tcox4freedom like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Just in case someone wants to know more about him: Dennis Daugaard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    A $10 app fee, no training requirement, and shall issue within 30 days doesn't seem all that restrictive to me. Of course, I spend a fair amount of time in Maryland.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

"There is one thing, my dear sir, that must be attempted and most sacredly observed or we are all undone. There must be decency and respect and veneration for persons of authority of every rank."
    John Adams. Second President of the United States.
    I like the signature line!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Govenor needs to be replaced next election.
    Exactly this.

Vote in the changes that you desire.

Elect a more 2A friendly Governor in the next election, put the pressure on.

We had to get enough legislatures to over-ride the veto before we got CC passed... it took 8 yrs. of it coming up every year. A strong Republican state who kept electing Democrat Governors.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

House failed to override the veto. That's it for this year.

House fails to override gun bill veto
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Elect a more 2A friendly Governor in the next election, put the pressure on.

We had to get enough legislatures to over-ride the veto before we got CC passed... it took 8 yrs. of it coming up every year. A strong Republican state who kept electing Democrat Governors.
    @ Eagleks: FYI-- the governor who vetoed the bill is not a Dem. Gun rights (and opposition to them) are not a partisan issue.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    @ Eagleks: FYI-- the governor who vetoed the bill is not a Dem. Gun rights (and opposition to them) are not a partisan issue.
    FYI ... I said "WE" .... real clearly. It doesn't matter if it's a Democrat, Republican or a RINO..... I referred to OUR situation.

It was pertinent in our state that they were a Democrat, as they didn't want to sign anything done by a Republican controlled leglislature.

Same point, get a Govenor elected that is more pro 2A..... or enough people in the legislature to override the veto. We couldn't get a good Gov in office, so we go 2/3 rds of the Legislature ..... before we got there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    How can anyone legitimately complain about no training requirements and a $10 fee, which probably doesn't even cover the cost of the card and background check?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How can anyone legitimately complain about no training requirements and a $10 fee, which probably doesn't even cover the cost of the card and background check?
    I'm not complaining too much, since I'd get a permit so I could carry out of state anyway, but I'm disappointed this law didn't pass. I've never thought that the permit cost of $10 for 4 years was prohibitive though.

FWIW, I believe the county sheriff's cut of the $10 permit cost is $2, which I'm sure doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the background check they do. And the "card" is plain white paper, printed in black ink on both sides, and laminated. It's not fancy, and there's not a photo on it, so the $8 that goes to the state probably covers that cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links