ACLu sides with 2A, again. Interesting case out of 5th Appeals Court

This is a discussion on ACLu sides with 2A, again. Interesting case out of 5th Appeals Court within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dismissal of gun-rights suit upheld by 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel | NOLA.com "The right protected by the Second Amendment is not a ...

Thread: ACLu sides with 2A, again. Interesting case out of 5th Appeals Court

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

ACLu sides with 2A, again. Interesting case out of 5th Appeals Court

Dismissal of gun-rights suit upheld by 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel | NOLA.com

"The right protected by the Second Amendment is not a property-like right to a specific firearm, but rather a right to keep and bear arms for self-defense," Judge Rhesa Hawkins Barksdale wrote.
    Marjorie Esman, executive director of the ACLU of Louisiana, praised Elrod's dissent and said the group would weigh its options, including asking the entire 5th Circuit to review the case.
    "Sure, (Houston) could go buy another firearm, but he shouldn't have to because he already owns one," Esman said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Interesting indeed. The ACLU has been surprising me lately. Hopefully this is the start of a better trend line for them.

Miracles do happen, but that is a religious discussion.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Here's one of the comments about the article...

The NOPD has a long history of stopping drivers and seizing their guns. Not all of these handguns make their way back to the police property room.

I have personally had handguns taken from me by the NOPD. They will arrest you for B.S and then take you to jail.

On 2 occasions they proceeded to drive me to their local district station before taking me to Central Lock up; and on those 2 occasions the cops bragged about my high dollar handguns. The cops even openly discussed leaving and locking my guns at the "district station safe" instead of turning the handguns in when booking me.
    Hence, one can only surmise that these handguns will either be sold by the cops or used as a drop gun or a "ham sandwich."

If the D A and Serpas want to really clean up the NOPD, I suggest that they first remove the easy access of handguns from the NOPD. In addition to the easy access of a drop gun which this policy of stealing a citizens gun encourages, this policy also is clearly just wrong.

What I describe above is not a rare or isolated incident. I have heard from numerous other gun owners who have had their weapons stolen by the NOPD. It's just wrong and needs to end.

Certainly sounds like a bunch of criminals in charge of the PD.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Certainly sounds like a bunch of criminals in charge of the [NOLA] PD.
    Always has been, nothing new here.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The NOPD is the most corrupted as it was visible in the Katrina riots that some of them were seen also looting.

Sounds more like a 4th amendment issue. NOLA needs another flush.

Errol Houston Jr. sued after the Orleans Parish district attorney's office refused to return a registered gun that police seized when he was arrested in 2008 on drug and firearms charges that were later dropped.
    Does the government need to show a cause for not returning the firearm?

Michael

The ACLU has been surprising me lately.

Quote Originally Posted by yaosen View Post
    The ACLU has been surprising me lately.
    I have no idea why folks think that the ACLU is anti-gun. They have supported guns rights many times. There official position is they have none which is their job. They are watchdogs mostly for the courts that get the Constitution wrong. The ACLU is a good to even emotions and screwed up courst like the 9th Circuit.

Links