Arguments Surrounding the 2nd Amendment - Page 2

Arguments Surrounding the 2nd Amendment

This is a discussion on Arguments Surrounding the 2nd Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SammyIamToday MacArthur said that. Thanks for the links, gonna read these and then maybe chime in. Oops, wrong General, but at least ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arguments Surrounding the 2nd Amendment

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    MacArthur said that. Thanks for the links, gonna read these and then maybe chime in.

Oops, wrong General, but at least I got the right War.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsoldier
    I'm more of a pessimist. I think that given a choice between prison or turning in their guns 90% of armed Americans would roll over and crawl. They'd whimper and go: Baaaaaaa Pleeeeeease don't hurt my family or me! Say there is a round number of 100 million gun owners. That means 90 million will meekly hand the guns to the gov't. But that still leaves a hard core group of gun owners who won't roll over. 10 MILLION a large portion of whom will be former military and a larger portion of those having seen combat. And a chunk of those will be ex SpecOps. It could be very interesting!
    I'm usually a bit of a pessimist myself, I would put it closer to 70%, JMO.

I have a feeling a lot of people would be burring at least a few guns in the backyard the minute the order went out, if they hadn't already done so. I agree it would be Baaaaaaaaad.

But, what happens after all the guns the govít can find are rounded up. If we want to CC, it has to be deep cover, and the home weapons would need to be very well hidden also. No more practice with live ammo either.

But as far as a majority of the population rolling over, like in Australia, I have to believe that here, their is a greater understanding of the importance of guns, among the citizens anyway. Espicually after seeing what happened over there after the bans were enacted.

Hopefully not just wishfull thinking.

So I guess the old saying would have to be revised, "because guns are outlawed, we are living like outlaws".
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I guess to put it simply,

A whole lot of people will become instant outlaws.

Much the way I imagine it was with Prohibition.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Cops MIGHT hate the orders to confiscate, but then again, maybe not. Look at New Orleans. The military is mostly made up of young men who are products of the public schools. What kind of curriculum has been pushed for the last 40 years? Is it pro-gun and pro-freedom? I think NOT! Cops and soldiers are taught that any civilian who owns a gun is evil....period. If they need a little more pressure to move ahead with the order, they only need to be reminded of the penalties under UCMJ or for the police to be reminded what happens to cops in prison, not to mention the cops families who will never see a dime of his pension and he'll be in prison making friends in the showers. I think that the New Orleans scenario is a pretty ugly example of what might follow.
    I can't say I experienced the same in the Marine Corps. I was never taught that private ownership of firearms was bad. Hell, the first Marines showed up with their own rifles.

That being said, I agree that being more pessimistic about it would probably be a better idea. The question is, would the remaining people band together to do something about it and fix America, or would they just slink around undercover. That's what I meant by saying the military wouldn't get involved too much. If it came down to something like that, I think most kids in the military wouldn't shoot other Americans. Maybe not even really understandable unless it happens.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Given that situation mentioned, I can tell you AZ would have a massive run on guns just prior to the enactment. I would guess that just about everyone here would bury their stuff in the backyard and wait for something to happen. Much as many of us on here would agree, I would be one of those "criminals" because I possess. The "Doomsday Amendment" is in there for a good reason.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links