New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs

This is a discussion on New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL] [First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard58

Thread: New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs

VIP Member

Thumbs down New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

I have just learned, with confirmation from the Virginia State Police, that New Mexico is NO LONGER RECOGNIZING Virginia CHPs because we don't require range time. We never have, odd that they are just now figuring that out. Perhaps they had a change in their law somewhere down the line.

New Mexico does NOT honor Florida or Utah non-resident permits, either.

Here are your options:

1. Open carry

2. In your vehicle you can have a concealed handgun. New Mexico views your vehicle as an extension of your home.

Virginia continues on the highroad, honoring New Mexico permits.
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Somehow NM's gun laws have always seemed confusing and peculiar to me. They are just sort of really
    different from other places.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

iI checked with http://www.handgunlaw.us/

3/23/12 – New Mexico no Longer Honors Virginia and Florida. VA Will still honor NM but FL Will no Longer Honor NM

This must have just happened.

NMB
    FL will no longer honor my NM CHL?

What the heck happened? We havent had any changes in our "legalese" to my knowledge.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I myself believe in range time to prove you know ur weapon well enough to carry it. Hence that we don't need nobody going off half cocked not knowing what to do. I also believe in study work and a some sort of test on the gun laws to protect all. But some flunk outs will still get through the cracks and put our 2a rights in jeopardy with stupid decisions.
    accessbob likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    Billspider,

See: Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

"NM does not recognize FL permits, as permitting process is not substantially similar. As a result, FL will not recognize NM permits."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Dave you are right I corrected my post.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I myself believe in range time to prove you know ur weapon well enough to carry it. Hence that we don't need nobody going off half cocked not knowing what to do. I also believe in study work and a some sort of test on the gun laws to protect all. But some flunk outs will still get through the cracks and put our 2a rights in jeopardy with stupid decisions.
    As always YMMV.

However, the OP was informational -- for the protection of our members. No need to start a debate, IMHO.

We have kicked that opinion issue around on a number of threads in the past.

I do not believe this is the time and place place to argue Constitutional Carry or other attempt to reduce the chilling effects on a Constitutional protected human right -- yet again.

I hope we don't take that distraction up here.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Billspider,

Looks as if our comments cross-in-posting.

Likely my fault -- as I was working from the email alert.

Sorry.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    FL will no longer honor my NM CHL?

What the heck happened? We havent had any changes in our "legalese" to my knowledge.
    If NM will not honor FL's permit, it is automatic under FL law that FL will not honor NM's permit.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Then VA needs to stop recognizing New Mexico's CC permits in return. There needs to be a 2 way street and one should not benefit from the other that is not helping out.

Links