Anyone seen sound test data on Black Powder weapons?

This is a discussion on Anyone seen sound test data on Black Powder weapons? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am working up letters fighting local suggested quarry/range restrictions based on Caliber. Sound data shows that the intended limit of .50 Cal means almost ...

Thread: Anyone seen sound test data on Black Powder weapons?

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar

I am working up letters fighting local suggested quarry/range restrictions based on Caliber. Sound data shows that the intended limit of .50 Cal means almost nothing when you compare decibel ratings of various arms up to 12 guage, but i have found no data for black powder arms. Seen any on the web? I would especially like to see some decibel ratings on calibers over .50.
    Thanks
    Time is short, i have until April 13, 2012, to respond, then the official "comment period" is over and they no longer have to pretend they are listening.

Start here:
    The Sound of Bullets, Feature Articles- FirearmsID.com

I would contact the author of the paper to see if he can steer you to the data you're looking for.

If you're an NRA member, you can contact them and ask about range design services - they may have some reference material for you.

Lastly, try contacting any Civil War re-enactment groups in your state to see if they've run into similar problems.

Good luck!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links