Shall issue = more permits denied

This is a discussion on Shall issue = more permits denied within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Say what? Sure, some really intelligent folks that already had felony convictions thought (well, they pretended to think)... shall issue meant shall issue for everyone... ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By rljohns
  • 1 Post By Truckdriver

Thread: Shall issue = more permits denied

Shall issue = more permits denied

Say what?

Sure, some really intelligent folks that already had felony convictions thought (well, they pretended to think)... shall issue meant shall issue for everyone... so they got denied.

Some are even having felonious falsification on the application added to their list of crimes making them ineligible for permits in the first place.

All in all, the sheriffs in Iowa that have seen the greatest increases in permit applications have indicted that the process change has not been the big deal the antis thought it would be...

Story here

But the same state representative that pushed for shall issue knows that SYG is dead now... for this year at the least.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Say what?

Sure, some really intelligent folks that already had felony convictions thought (well, they pretended to think)... shall issue meant shall issue for everyone... so they got denied.

Some are even having felonious falsification on the application added to their list of crimes making them ineligible for permits in the first place.

All in all, the sheriffs in Iowa that have seen the greatest increases in permit applications have indicted that the process change has not been the big deal the antis thought it would be...

Story here

But the same state representative that pushed for shall issue knows that SYG is dead now... for this year at the least.
    WoW! I read the story. What got me was, "Gardner is in his first term as sheriff and “shall issue” became a campaign issue in his run for office. Gardner said he supports “shall issue” now as he did during his run, but he would like to see the training requirement strengthened.

“Right now, someone can take a course online — they don’t even have to handle a firearm — print out the certificate, and I have to accept that as training,” he said.
    Here in Louisiana, it's 9 hours of combined class and range training! Also, that Jay Walking summons or Music too loud (disturbing the peace) summons, we have to pay the clerk of court(s) for a "Certified True Copy of the Disposition(s)".... Meanwhile, Louisiana is also an OC State. (Article 1, Section 11)

It's a little disturbing that the guy mentioned in the story won the appeal but other than that it sounds like the system there is working. Unqualified people are getting denied. I do hope that people take the initiative to pursue training beyond an Internet course though. I'm all for 2A rights but I believe in training before someone carries a loaded weapon on the streets around my family. The 8 hour class in MI was a good start but I took a couple more classes to make myself comfortable with my gun in public.

TN is 4 hours classroom and 4 hours range with a test on both parts. A pretty simple qualification so most feel you need additional trsaining. Can't imagine TN going for an on-line course only.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

Here in NY there is NO range or classroom training need. Submit your papers and wait the 6 months and as long as there are no felonies you will get approved. The same is true for NYC residency permit no training needed.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Help me out here folks...????

Is it RKBA, or RKBAWT(With Training)????
    43hertz likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No training requirement in Washington state, which is a liberal state on the left coast for those not in the know. ;)

It's not easy being an American Adult, sometimes you have to take it upon yourself to get the training, pay you bills, work if you want to eat, kind of hard concepts for subjects of other countries to grasp. I also belive in Consitutional Carry, but the person carrying should upon their own initiative seek training.
    43hertz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    It's not easy being an American Adult, sometimes you have to take it upon yourself to get the training, pay you bills, work if you want to eat, kind of hard concepts for subjects of other countries to grasp. I also belive in Consitutional Carry, but the person carrying should upon their own initiative seek training.
    Exactly! Use your own common sense and get whatever level of training you need to be safe and responsible. We shouldn't need legislation for that.
    43hertz likes this.

I'm less worried about a person that has had 50 run-ins with the law and 0 convictions and anyone that has had one run-in and a conviction.

Sometimes you live in non-ideal neighborhoods, and have less than stellar friends growing up.

My best friend was someone tagged as a juvenile delinquent because of some of his other friends. He never committed any crimes, and is an engineer now. He has a security clearance with the US DoJ and DoD because of some of the projects he has worked on. I have other examples of people that were in the same boat. Some are honest citizens now, others did fall and are criminals. Walking the line between an honest life and a criminal one is a precarious thing for many kids/young adults. You have to survive and choose the right path.

Links