Miami Herald poll on repealing stand your ground - get your vote in!

This is a discussion on Miami Herald poll on repealing stand your ground - get your vote in! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a link to the article and poll. We are ahead 58% NO to 42% Yes. Revoke this license to kill - Editorials - ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Miami Herald poll on repealing stand your ground - get your vote in!

VIP Member
    Here is a link to the article and poll. We are ahead 58% NO to 42% Yes.

Revoke this license to kill - Editorials - MiamiHerald.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Voted at 4:39 pm!

Should the Florida Legislature repeal the Stand Your Ground law?
    Yes 856
    42%
    No 1180
    58%
    Total Votes: 2036
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The 'no's' have it for now.....

Here's a CNN poll I saw earlier today.......... Seems pretty close all around.

37. Some states have enacted legislation, known as "stand your ground laws." Under those laws, people

who are in a public place and believe that their life or safety is in danger are allowed to kill or injure

the person who they think is threatening them. Do you approve or disapprove of those laws?

Mar. 24-25

Approve 55%

Disapprove 43%

No opinion 2%

POLL

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/im...3/26/rel3a.pdf
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

We are ahead 58% NO to 42% Yes.

I'm hoping on November 6 2012 the margin at the polls will be the same, for whom ever the republican nominee is!!

VIP Member
    Voted.

61% no, at this point.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    If you clear your cookie cache, you can vote Chicago style - early and OFTEN.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    The law has been around for 7 years and all of a sudden some goody two shoes want to mess with it. it’s a black eye to everyone if they screw with it and gives the criminal more rights. they need to deal with the case and not try to fix something that’s not broke
    Not a "goody two shoes".... scumbag Chuckie Shumer. That rat has been at this for years and years...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    My bet is that this law in FL at the very least gets changed to make sure that it specifically states that you can only use deadly force if you feel your life is in danger etc. My understanding is that it does not state that now.
    BTW, if you want to read the law for yourself check out:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Note:

The 2011 Florida Statutes 776.013 (3)
    A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
    [Emphasis added]

Which means they have incorporated into their statute the “reasonable person” rule of common law.

See more discussion at Defending the Self-Defense Case .
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Just voted. Currently 38% yes, 62% no
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Yes 889
    37%

No 1487
    63%

Total Votes: 2376

Read more here: Revoke this license to kill - Editorials - MiamiHerald.com

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I will catch a lot of flack for this but I don't vote in polls that are state specific and do not affect the laws in my state. I would not want folks voting on a poll about NH gun laws and other state specific legislation that has nothing to do with them. The people of FL and frequent visitors there should decide their own fates. For good or bad. Having massive amounts of folks casting multiple votes does not show a true representation of what the FL people want.

And yes I know how one states laws can start swaying other states views. But it is their business, not mine.
    Why not vote in polls about other states? The polls really don't have any binding effect. The paper, by its presence on the internet, is playing to a nationwide, even international, audience.

How do you feel about out of state interests getting involved in your state's elections? Out of state money supporting or opposing candidates and issues in your state? That's an issue I get upset about.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Yes 889
    37%

No 1487
    63%

Total Votes: 2376

Read more here: Revoke this license to kill - Editorials - MiamiHerald.com
    Wow, that first paragraph needs to be printed on Nomex, it is so inflammatory.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

No I won't back down
    You can stand me up at the gates of hell
    But I won't back down
    Gonna stand my ground

-Tom Petty
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Why not vote in polls about other states? The polls really don't have any binding effect. The paper, by its presence on the internet, is playing to a nationwide, even international, audience.

How do you feel about out of state interests getting involved in your state's elections? Out of state money supporting or opposing candidates and issues in your state? That's an issue I get upset about.
    I feel the same about elections also. One thing I love about NH is the politics are pretty much immune from national influenxe except MA!Folks here tend to mind thier own business and stay out of other folks business.
    As far as the poll.....It is a farce. I see posting saying "we are winning". No we are not..we are cheating better than the folks on the other side. How do you call a poll accurate at all if you vote multiple times. You can have 2 guys sitting there all night long voting NO. So again, poll is a waste of time, not even close to being accurate, and if anyone thinks that the poll (or any internet poll set up like that)reflects the mindset of those that it wants information from is sorely mistaken. That just makes me giggle...."we are winning" give me a break. But I don't want to take the fun out of it...vote as many times as ya want.

I think everyone here are well aware of how valid these stupid polls are on these "media" websites.

I won't even call them news websites, because they rarely report news. What they do is "create" the news, and then shape it, and censor it. So, as far as I'm concerned they are just "media" websites.

But again, everyone here knows just how bogus a poll from USA Today, New York Times, Miami Herald or whoever they are. All we're doing is having a little fun and comic relief.

At least that's what I'm in it for. You think they care one wit about what I think? They are going to report whatever they create, truth be damned.

They aren't kidding anyone... At least on this forum.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    as far as I know.

Anyone here getting buffaloed by the so called "news media?"
    suntzu and FTG-05 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links