Minnesota/Iowa

Minnesota/Iowa

This is a discussion on Minnesota/Iowa within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is more a rant than anything else. Headed up to Minnesota last week. I am curious: Why does Iowa recognize Minnesota permits, but Minnesota ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ericb327

Thread: Minnesota/Iowa

Minnesota/Iowa

This is more a rant than anything else. Headed up to Minnesota last week. I am curious: Why does Iowa recognize Minnesota permits, but Minnesota does not recognize Iowa's?

I did not like wandering around up there unarmed. Until this is rectified, or at least equalized, we will not be back.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Call your senators and tell them to support the concealed carry reciprocity act!
    marcclarke likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Iowa stepped around reciprocity issues by honoring all state's permits. Previously Iowa did not honor any other permit before 1-1-11.

MN has a more strict training requirement and Iowa does not measure up to their standards, this is a typical issue regarding reciprocity arrangements where a "training gap" may exist.

I'm pretty sure you can apply for a MN non-resident permit if you can meet their training requirements.

Or, you can take one of the Utah courses and get your Utah non-resident permit that is accepted in MN.

I would get a Utah permit that is honored in MN. I travel between WI, MN, and IA so a Utah and Wisconsin permit allow me to travel between all three states.

Well, our "Stand your ground" bill just got veto'd by our Governor and in it was a provision that would do what Iowa did and just recognize all States permits. I am pretty confident it is only a matter of time at this point.

VIP Member
    As of Apr 1 the 5 yr UT non resident permit is reduced to $51, and $15 for renewal without need for further training. You must maintain your resident permit, as well.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Minnesota hasn't updated their list since like 2003, it was part of a recent bill but Governor Dayton vetoed it.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Minnesota requires that another state have a substantially similar training and background check requirement in order to reciprocate permits. Iowa does not require a live fire exercise for their permits, while Minnesota does, so Minnesota does not recognize Iowa permits.

Additionally, the MN Attorney General is responsible by statute for regularly updating the reciprocity list. Lori Swanson (DFL) has been the MN AG since 2007, and in her reasoning, updating the list on a centennial basis is regular enough.
    Hakkaa päälle!

mel
    We here in Minnesota are just trying to protect Iowan's from themselves. We have seen how "most" of you folks drive, just sayin

And just kidding as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Well, our "Stand your ground" bill just got veto'd by our Governor and in it was a provision that would do what Iowa did and just recognize all States permits. I am pretty confident it is only a matter of time at this point.
    Hope it goes thru next time around!

I was wondering I just got my permit to carry as of the 2nd of this month and it only says iowa permit to carry weapons and the bottom says nonprofessional. My ? is i filed for a concealed weapons permit is that all they say on the card they give you or is it only good for open carry? Any help would be apprecited.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by iowaxdm View Post
    I was wondering I just got my permit to carry as of the 2nd of this month and it only says iowa permit to carry weapons and the bottom says nonprofessional. My ? is i filed for a concealed weapons permit is that all they say on the card they give you or is it only good for open carry? Any help would be apprecited.
    The Iowa permit has always been a "Permit to Carry Weapons" it's for open or concealed carry.

Professional Permits are for those that are required to be armed due to employment. Police, armed security etc. may require a professional permit, although some agencies may accept a non-professional permit.

Links