Assoc. Press article obscures the point on the NC gun ban/state of emergency case

Assoc. Press article obscures the point on the NC gun ban/state of emergency case

This is a discussion on Assoc. Press article obscures the point on the NC gun ban/state of emergency case within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Judge limits N.C. ban on guns during emergencies | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com Judge limits N.C. ban on guns during emergencies The Associated Press April ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shooter380

Thread: Assoc. Press article obscures the point on the NC gun ban/state of emergency case

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Judge limits N.C. ban on guns during emergencies | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Judge limits N.C. ban on guns during emergencies

The Associated Press
    April 2, 2012

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.

A federal judge is giving gun-rights advocates a limited victory after they challenged North Carolina's law banning gun possession in public during a declared emergency.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports that Judge Malcolm Howard upheld the state law while limiting the state's power to a ban guns except at the owner's own home.

Howard says while the state has a compelling interest in public safety and crime prevention, the riot control law passed in 1969 goes too far in restricting the constitutional right to gun ownership.

The ruling closes a lawsuit by gun owners from Stokes, Beaufort and Craven counties, and two gun-rights groups. Howard ruled that the state law can't apply to them.

North Carolina can appeal the ruling.
    Unbelievable. Wow. Five lies wrapped up in this one sentence summary:

So, (1) the judge "gave" a (2) "limited victory" by (3) "limiting" the state's ability to ban guns during a state of emergency (4) "except in the home" but this gift (5) only applies to the plaintiffs.

Forget gun control, how about Media Control!

NEWSFLASH: The Federal Appeals Court voided the ability of NC to ban guns during a state of emergency because to do so was repugnant to the Second Amendment of the Unites States Constitution. This was no gift. This was no limited victory. This was no limiting of a ban. This does not apply to guns in the home. This applies to everyone, not just the plaintiffs.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member
    Gotta love media bias, especially when it comes to things for which the reporter in question disagrees on a personal level. There doesn't seem to be the old school reporting available anymore where the facts are reported as impartially as possible while leaving the reporters' personal views out of it. I believe that was the norm in the first half of the 20th Century (I may be mistaken there too, but my perception is that reporters held to a higher standard back then) and slowly has shifted to, what I'll call, "Activist Reporting."
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Thanks OP for pointing this out. IT helps us all be more analytical in our reading.
    marcclarke likes this.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

I'm totally used to it. Since hoodie-gate, the worthless local online "news"slag here has published daily stories on 1) The lethal SYG law, 2) The "explosion" of justified homicides 3) The "qualifications" of citizens to possess lethal force, and of course 4) The spike in sales of "military grade" and "assault" weapons.

I assume they operate under the Obama-doctine: the bigger the lie, the more inflamed the morons react.

Wow, idiots. They make it sound like that can now limit firearms at home. They have NEVER been able to limit them at home. I can CC at home and on my property without a permit if I want. There are no limits on my property. I'd have to get more official info to see what this limiting factor is. Seems to me the judge limited what the state can do. I am interested in the riot provision, it's not been addressed very much. I can't seem to track down the opinion where they are quoting the judge from. It would be interesting to look at.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links