Defensive Carry banner

National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act 2012

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  LkWd_Don 
#1 ·
Well, I sent one of those prepared letters to both of the MI senators (Levin and Stabenow) who are both Dems. Here's the (I believe) canned response she/her office sent back:

Thank you for contacting me about interstate concealed firearm permit reciprocity. I understand your concerns.

I have great respect for the Second Amendment to our constitution. I grew up in Clare, Michigan, and many in my family enjoy hunting and fishing across our state. I felt very comfortable growing up with guns in our home and I understand the importance of legal and safe gun ownership. While I oppose efforts to take guns away from law-abiding citizens, I support enforcement of laws that protect our children and our families from gun violence and other criminal activity.

As you may know, Congressman Cliff Stearns (R-Florida) introduced the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act (H.R.822) on February 18, 2011. This legislation has passed the House of Representatives and is currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. I will keep your position on this bill in mind as it moves through the legislative process.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

:rofl:

See less See more
#3 ·
I got an almost identical response from my Rep before it went to a vote in the house (Doc Hastings R-WA) and my Senators after it went to the Senate Judiciary or whatever (Maria Cantwell D-WA and Patty Murray D-WA). Hastings voted for the House bill, and I guarantee that Cantwell and Murray will vote against it.

I'm pretty sure that bills like this get an unofficial response form letter that gets passed around to all the Congresscritters.

#6 ·
It's on the hill... what more do you want/expect. Whatever it is, that and a buck will buy you coffee in a diner.

It's like the Federal park carry bill, if it gets attached to something (oh, like a congressional pay raise), we might actually get it.

#8 ·
MCG, you are better off holding your breath, than trying to get thru to these two...

#9 ·
Welcome, LkWD_Don. Well said. A return to traditional values like the original intent of 2A restores the blessings of liberty to us, the progeny of our founders.

With the Obamacare case, SCOTUS is hearing a bit about how big government uses the Commerce Clause to expand its power.
The CC was to negate interstate tarriffs preventing interstate trade under the Articles of Confederation - without violating the sovereignty of the states.
James Madison noted in Federalist No. 45 that it was "an addition which few oppose, and from which no apprehensions are entertained." The Father of the Constitution also noted that the powers of the states are "numerous and infinite" while the federal government's are "few and defined." - WSJ
Justifying National Right to Carry Reciprocity with the Commerce Clause further distorts what the government can regulate with the trend being "virtually anything". As GOA says:
The bill states that because firearms “have been shipped in interstate commerce,” the Congress in justified in passing this legislation. That is not the “commerce” the Founder’s envisioned as they sought to remove barriers of interstate trade.

The modern and broad interpretation of the Commerce Clause would, in the words of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (Gonzales v. Raich), confer on the federal government the power to “regulate virtually anything – [until] the federal Government is no longer one of limited and enumerated powers.”

....Any federal legislation that imposes demands on the states must be scrutinized carefully by the language of the Constitution. At this point, a cynic might correctly point out that Congress passes bills on a weekly basis that go beyond what the Constitution allows. But we must be especially careful, as people who work towards federalism and constitutional government, not to fall into the trap of the end justifying the means.
What we need is liberty, plain and simple. Any other way perpetuates the darker aspects of the human condition mostly sufferred throughout history and rightfully redressed too rarely.

#17 ·
It may or may not have any effect. From what I can tell, the Senate S.2213 Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012
is dying a slow death in the Democrat Controlled Committee on the Judiciary since March 20, 2012 when it was sent there, just as the S.2188 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012 is that was sent there March 13, 2012. Which will come out first may not be the better of the two choices as the S.2188 only has 3 co-sponsors where the S.2213 has 33 co-sponsors Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - S.2213 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.