Texas "Castle Law" (ennacted 2007)

This is a discussion on Texas "Castle Law" (ennacted 2007) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Find a way to pay for your CHL as soon as possible. If you have to make some temporary sacrifices to do so, it will ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Texas "Castle Law" (ennacted 2007)

Find a way to pay for your CHL as soon as possible.

If you have to make some temporary sacrifices to do so, it will be worth it.

This is an investment in your personal safety.

Texas CHL Course = $99.99

50 rounds of ammunition for CHL proficiency test = $14

Texas CHL Application Fee = $140

Electronic Fingerprinting = $9.95

Photos for your I.D = $10.99

Total cost = $274.93

Getting your Texas CHL = Priceless

To get started click here: TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing
    sanfordreed likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Find a way to pay for your CHL as soon as possible.

If you have to make some temporary sacrifices to do so, it will be worth it.

This is an investment in your personal safety.

Texas CHL Course = $99.99

50 rounds of ammunition for CHL proficiency test = $14

Texas CHL Application Fee = $140

Electronic Fingerprinting = $9.95

Photos for your I.D = $10.99

Total cost = $274.93

Getting your Texas CHL = Priceless

To get started click here: TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing
    Yikes. That's expensive.

In Oregon, it's a straight $65 for application/processing fees ($50 for renewal), and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Yikes. That's expensive.

In Oregon, it's a straight $65 for application/processing fees ($50 for renewal), and that's it.
    Something to keep in mind:

Oregon plus 17 States

or

Texas plus 34 States
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Be careful in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by buttercups View Post
    Greetings gentlemen,

I am a new forum member from Texas. I have a question that no one in Houston, Austin or local police on the phone can answer (which is the reason I have just joined your forum).

My apologies if this question has been answered before.

I am a female gunowner, living in Sugar Land, Texas. I just found out that Gov. Perry signed into law something called the "Texas Castle Law" which I beleive states that citizens do not need a CHL in order to have a concealed firearm in a vehicle to and from work. I have spoken with several Houston Police officers about this law and each officer told me something different.

Q: Can a Texas citizen carry a concealed weapon in their vehicle WITHOUT a concealed license?

Thank you.

Mary
    I just got off the phone with a Houston LEO. He said once you enter city limits of Houston, the bullets need to be separate from the handgun if you do not have a CHL. This is an ordinance that some cities may have.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I thought the CHL for Texas was high,but,i'm hearing they are tryimg to raise S.C. to a 100.00..But i would try to afford it,especially,IF what GuitarTex said,is true...You have to have bullets separate from the gun,once you enter in the city?.That's a really stupid law.smh.It makes no sense.
    Brent95 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'll let someone more definitively knowledgeable respond to post 19 by Guitar Tex. I think his information
    is not correct because of state preemption. However, I can also imagine some weasel way in which
    the City could have skirted the state law.

What we do know from the past is that Houston has been less than enthusiastic about some of what
    our state legislature has done on gun matters, and that lots of stuff that isn't right can be defended via
    word-craft by a DA. That said, I think post 19 is plain wrong.

@ Guitar Tex, as a new poster here you'll learn that many here are very skeptical of almost anything posted
    and want to see the code, not a third hand opinion about it. And even when we have code in front of us, we'll
    often debate what it really means.

So, back to the original poster's concerns and my suggestion. Obtaining the CHL would free our OP from
    most concerns about local LEOs and DAs making up their own rules or misinterpreting existing rules. It still can happen of course,
    because we are using the English language and some are using their creative intellect. But your greatest safety
    from being falsely accused would be to have the CHL. Save some money and some time and just do it if at all possible.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Here's were you need to decide if having a gun in you car is a good idea? You say you don't have the money to get a CHL right now. And the HPD officers you've spoke with say they will lock you up if they catch you with a gun in your car.

If you get arrested, it's going to cost you at least 1k to defend yourself.

What's more likely to happen, you'll need a gun to defend yourself or you'll get locked up for having it?

Taking a gun out of your house sounds like a risky move. Weigh your decisions carefully.
    Actually, and I don't mean to put varob on the spot, I think that is the wrong thought to have 'need a gun to defend yourself'.

PEOPLE, we don't carry guns to defend ourselves, we don't have guns in the car to defend against other drivers, we ONLY have a firearm to keep us or our loved ones from being KILLED by an armed predator who is targeting us. We don't have a firearm to defend others (strangers) or to be a sheepdog (you are not a policeman, you do NOT know the circumstances well enough to insert yourself).

Having a firearm may give you more courage not to just run away from a crime like a startled bird, allowing you to be a good witness and to call 911. It may give you enough of an illusion of safety to go out at night should you need to, especially single females or the elderly - if so, great.

It's clear that the majority of firearm users are only interested in target shooting 99% of the time. Having a firearm is, to them, like having seatbelts, or a fire extinguisher, or a smoke detector or it's a tool like a cell phone. It's not a 'license to insert yourself into a dangerous situation'. What good is it if you go to jail for shooting someone (or the wrong person in an altercation) and your loved ones are at home unprotected?

We have a great responsibility, just like driving a car, and must operate and deploy our firearms as a method of not dying at the hands of an armed predator and as a last ditch method for staying alive. That's the CONCEPT that keeps us safe, while protected to a degree.

A firearm must not be your FIRST solution, it is not the solution to every situation. That's why I say don't think of it as a 'self-defense' solution.

Now having said that you CAN use it to keep from being grievously injured from a disparity of force attack or keep a woman from being raped, and so forth. But the best way to 'defend' against those things is not to be in bad places with bad people at bad times. Have a layered defense.

OTOH, if you do carry outside the house (and I recommend it for the elderly, females, weaker, smaller individuals, the disabled - those who can't really escape or run) have umbrella insurance. It's extremely cheap. Have legal counsel on speed dial. KNOW the laws in your area. Keep your car in good repair and up to date and drive within the speed limit so you don't get stopped. Be super courteous to everyone. Remember, you don't know whether that the person you were just nice to is a serial killer and he's decided not to focus on you.

These ideas should just be one's attitude. Every dangerous situation is different. We all want to go home alive, nobody wants the burden of harming or killing anyone least of all the wrong person.

These concepts are a bit divorced from reality, just as handgun use is (for example we know that 1 million potential attackers are dissuaded from attacking in the US each year simply by producing your firearm which is brandishing in many places and is illegal - yet, to me it's better than shooting someone's 20 yo kid with 'issues').

Just learn the laws, have umbrella insurance, keep your mouth shut if you have to shoot, only shoot in the gravest extreme, and have a lawyer on speed dial. 99.99% of us who like firearms will never have to use them other than to perforate paper targets, and really, that's all we want to do. You shoot someone and kill them and I guarantee your love of going to the range is going to be gone if you have a conscience.
    /rant

FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra03 View Post
    there is one thing that I didn't read about carrying your pistol in your car. everyone is saying yes it has to be cancealed in your car in order to have it in there, but DO NOT canceal it on yourself while driving. That is a big NO NO if you dont have a license to carry.
    No true. Read 46.02 below where it says "on or about his or her person". Just don't get out of the vehicle with it on you.

PC 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01 (C)
    Snub44 likes this.

[QUOTE=Yoda;2225046]The cost a CHL overall is under $400 (not including gun), while that is a pretty penny for some people it is definitely worth it.

Lets take this to the next step.....this is for 4 years on the first application, and the renewal drops to less than half of that. So if you figure the cost of a license over a 9 or 10 year period, (which you hve to do, because no one is getting a license for just one year) the cost per year is somewhere in the $30 to $60 range, excluding cost of ammo and weapons.

The problem with a firearm that can not be taken out of the car except at home is the firearm is vulnerable to theft.

CHL will fix this in most cases and allow you to be legal.

As far as Houston is concerned, leaving that _______ ______ place was best thing I have done for my self in a long time.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Any Texas Lawman that doesn't know about this law should turn in their badge.
    sanfordreed likes this.
    John Luttrell

You can also legally carry in your recreational vehicle, travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    In 2007 they did away "while traveling" exemption because some people like the previous Harris county DA were instructing cops to just lock up everyone without a CHL and let a jury decide if they were traveling.
    Now it basically if you are not a prohibited person or committing a crime at that time you can have a handgun in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Yikes. That's expensive.

No permit required at all in WY. National Constitutional Carry and National Castle Doctrine ftw.

Well, that is not exactly correct that you can only take your gun out at home. You can take your weapons out at the shooting range, at your business, your second apartment for your girlfriend(boyfriend), at the ranch, deer lease, barn, and also at the motel when travelling. There may be others, but that all I can think of off hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    The problem with a firearm that can not be taken out of the car except at home is the firearm is vulnerable to theft.

CHL will fix this in most cases and allow you to be legal.

As far as Houston is concerned, leaving that _______ ______ place was best thing I have done for my self in a long time.

All law enforcement know this law, but, No need to print off 65 pages of laws. Just print off PC 46.03, which specifically allows carry in a vehicle being driven on a public road.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles1951 View Post
    If you carry a gun in your car, it must remain concealed; with or with out a license. It may not help you deal with the police but if I was going to routinely carry a gun in my car without a license I think I would have a copy of the following document with me and highlight the area about unlicensed carry in a car.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...rms/chl-16.pdf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links