President Obama & Gun Legistlation

This is a discussion on President Obama & Gun Legistlation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK OK OK...........Here is the OP: Within the gun owner community there is a general feeling and assumption that President Obama is anti second amendment ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: President Obama & Gun Legistlation

OK OK OK...........Here is the OP:

Within the gun owner community there is a general feeling and assumption that President Obama is anti second amendment and is out to get our guns. I can remember during the last election how hard it was to get ammo and firearms. When I asked gun shops why, their reply was "silly Obama!"

During President Obama's first term I don't know of any anti gun legislation the he signed or endorsed. In 2010 President Obama signed Legislation that would allow carry in National Parks.

I agree that President Obama may not be the most gun friendly President. But who is actually driving gun and ammo sales? The NRA, Republican talking heads, or is it our fears about what President Obama might do in his second term?

Thoughts?
    Let us please address the OP and leave out naughty words, naughty word workarounds, political venting of any color, politics of any flavor, and KEEP to the OP.

PLEASE
    , because I do not want to close a thread, but some of ya'll have sorely tempted me with Pandering Prohibited Partisan Political Posturing Postings, or the horrible nasty "PPPPPP's" or "SIX P's".

So....help me and I'll leave ya'll alone. To be honest, I think ya'll have tried our patience a whole lot with this thread, so tread lightly please.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; April 17th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Hopyard and msgt/ret like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    ... My vote goes to anyone BUT Obama. I believe that the majority of voters will feel the same way.
    I agree. I believe the majority of legal, living voters will agree. But what we need to look out for is all of the vote early and often crowd, the dead people, and the New Black Panthers scaring away honest citizens. Combined they might be able to tip the scales back to Obamas favor, which might then tip over the Scales of Justice.

As far as the shortage in guns and ammo, I would have to say it is a general paranoia. Also known as preparations, being made for a combination of all the factors stated before: Scare tactics by the NRA and other politicians, growing economic problems and global unrest, and worries about the push in some states for restrictions on ammo(micro stamping, lead bans, quantity restrictions, and serialization). Some of the worries are founded, some are not, but the big picture is, it drives demand up, which reduces supplies available, which we then see when we go to buy ammo, which further justifies the fears of shortages. It is a vicious cycle.
    Last edited by BigStick; April 17th, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: To add relevance to OP
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Obama open mic slip: 'After my election I have more flexibility' - YouTube

Methinks the sentiment he's expressing isn't just about throwing the Poles under the bus regarding missile defense, but myriad other issues. Is Chicago-style gun law one of those issues? Don't know, but if congress sends him a bill like that, I'm pretty sure he'll sign it.

BTW, I think he'll be re-elected.
    Yeah but what were they talking about? What context? I know he is not pro guns but this video tells me nothing.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

this video tells me nothing
    The conclusion is that he can make decisions based solely on his re-election needs. One might then infer that 2A "matters" will be deferred until after the election to avoid hurting his chances with border-line 2A folks. That is why this 2A thread has been "interesting."

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Better start stockpiling guns,ammo and food.
    Yes, at least until the end of the year when the Mayan calendar calls for Doomsday. (then you won't need anything but a ticket into heaven)

The end is near...very near.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

when the Mayan calendar calls for Doomsday.
    The Mayans left out Leap years, so the end was several decades ago..........

Rock and Glock,
    You present us with a problem. Keeping our 2nd Amendment Rights without talking about the present political climate.

With these rights we are "bees" with a stinger. Without them we are "flys" like the one Obama caught and crushed with his hands a couple of years ago. No fear of getting stung.

This election is important to our 2nd Amendment Rights. Will Obama do more if given more time? His history shows he wants to. He has Hilary working the U.N. angle. His home town of Chicago is his model. There is so much more he can do TO US with our stingers removed. I believe this is his aim. Without our "stingers", like the bee, our country as we know it will die.
    Marginalizing Romeny is part of this plan. I don't believe Romeny will do anything to effect change in our 2nd Amendment Rights. If he were that insane...Congress would stop him. Both sides of the Congress remembers what it got them last time they tried it.

So I will try to walk this fine line, but have a heart as some of us see this as a direct subject to our 2nd Amendment Rights (as well as others). I will try to be a "good girl" on this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I'll use my 6 P's (prior planning prevents pathetically poor performance) and zip my fingers before the Moderator slaps me with his six p's of Pandering Prohibited Partisan Political Posturing Postings

One last P before I go!

Peace!
    Rock and Glock and Spirit51 like this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    If a Scotus appointment doesn't doesn't remove our rights then an Exective act by Potus will.
    I wish he would, then we would have a open declaration of war against the people. Then there would be no doubt for anyone.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Obama isn't going to anything to our gun rights at all. If ever he had the political opportunity to make a move against the second amendment he would have done so when Senator Gabriel Giffords got shot in the head and all the rhetoric was flying around about keeping people in their gun sights. He didn't do anything what so ever and the country was fuming about the 30 round clip, rhetoric, etc. He didn't do anything. All just a bunch of hype that was used to drive up the price of ammo IMO.

The Court isn't going to do anything with our gun rights either (even if Obama appoints another Judge). Heller and McDonald are precedents of the Court. The Court is bound by same. The NRA has deep pockets and strong lobbyists. Nothing is going to happen

I remember four years ago when he took office and everyone was freaking out about him taking our guns. Alas, I am still carrying mine and I have a safe full of ammo. Fear and hype my friends, fear and hype.
    Sig35seven and Toorop like this.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

I am in the NRA. I vote as pro gun as it gets. I have many guns, and lots of fodder for all. I do not stress about anybody taking them. We have a very strong, armed populace. I do wish it was stronger. Obama is an embarrassment, but if he goes for the guns, he will have an open insurrection on his hands. I do all I can to promote the 2A. But I will not stress. Too much emotion comes into play. That leads to throwdowns.

Hope for the best. Plan for the worst. All you can do.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXMens ReaXx View Post
    ....The Court isn't going to do anything with our gun rights either (even if Obama appoints another Judge). Heller and McDonald are precedents of the Court. The Court is bound by same. The NRA has deep pockets and strong lobbyists. Nothing is going to happen

I remember four years ago when he took office and everyone was freaking out about him taking our guns. Alas, I am still carrying mine and I have a safe full of ammo. Fear and hype my friends, fear and hype.
    Heller and McDonald spoke to gun ownership ("the right to keep") in favor of the individual. The next big question is defensive carry ("the right to bear") and how much power to regulate that right is reserved to the state. Another four years (for Obama) is opportunity to appoint two more judges - at least one of which may be one that voted for Heller and McDonald. That probably makes more progressive and less constitutional the view of the supreme court. The supreme court doesn't defer to the NRA and neither do national politicians and their appointees fear to tread ("fast and furious") around 2A.
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXMens ReaXx View Post
    Obama isn't going to anything to our gun rights at all. If ever he had the political opportunity to make a move against the second amendment he would have done so when Senator Gabriel Giffords got shot in the head and all the rhetoric was flying around about keeping people in their gun sights. He didn't do anything what so ever and the country was fuming about the 30 round clip, rhetoric, etc. He didn't do anything. All just a bunch of hype that was used to drive up the price of ammo IMO.

The Court isn't going to do anything with our gun rights either (even if Obama appoints another Judge). Heller and McDonald are precedents of the Court. The Court is bound by same. The NRA has deep pockets and strong lobbyists. Nothing is going to happen

Obama is plagued by his desire to always seem reasonable, so he had to make a speach about toneing down the rhetoric, which was the right thing to do.

As far as the Supreme Court precident, that doesn't hold with me. This is what Justice Ginsburg said about Heller: sometimes a dissent can become the majority of a “future, wiser court.” Indicating that the only precident she will respect are those she agrees with.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Heller and McDonald spoke to gun ownership ("the right to keep") in favor of the individual. The next big question is defensive carry ("the right to bear") and how much power to regulate that right is reserved to the state. Another four years (for Obama) is opportunity to appoint two more judges - at least one of which may be one that voted for Heller and McDonald. That probably makes more progressive and less constitutional the view of the supreme court. The supreme court doesn't defer to the NRA and neither do national politicians and their appointees fear to tread ("fast and furious") around 2A.
    I do agree the Court is not bound by anything but precedent and the Constitution. However, the fact of the matter is that Obama hasn't made a move against our guns and he isn't going to. Assuming he does appoint two Justices, you are making assumptions about their views of the second amendment before they have even been named or appointed. I am a progressive but I am armed to the teeth and I cross party lines to vote for what I believe in. I am hopeful all Justices appointed to the high court would vote the same way. We can agree to disagree.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

I know that not everything that looks like a conspiracy is.. and not everything that doesn't look like a conspiracy isn't.

But for those who have not studied Obama's anti-gun history while he was an Illinois State Legislator and/or his anti-2A history as a US Senator.. I can understand that they will not see a conspiracy to act against the 2A where one most likely does exist.

I can only hope and pray that there are not enough voters who are either intentionally or unintentionally blind to the facts, that Obama does not get re-elected.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links