Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre - Page 2

Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre

This is a discussion on Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Doghandler We need some female leadership in the NRA that is more sensitive to the needs of gun owners and antis alike. ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    We need some female leadership in the NRA that is more sensitive to the needs of gun owners and antis alike.
    You didn't like Marion Hammer?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

MJK
    I am a life member and support the NRA fully. They are a single issue organization and without their frontline engagement to support the 2A we would be in a world of hurt. Personally I like Wayne a lot. He is a refreshing breath of fresh air in a world of politics reeking of stench! The NRA has the best ground game out there. If you don't belong please join. We are in a political war with Obama and his kind and we need all the support we can muster!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

MJK
    Doghandler "...sensitive to anti's"? I presume you mean only in the sense that you must have good intelligence to overcome your adversary!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

We need some female leadership in the NRA that is more sensitive to the needs of gun owners and antis alike.
    I am a woman and I could give a HOOT about antis. If a member of the NRA needs a woman to hold their hand...they should just hang it up and wear a skirt.

NRA has been defending our 2nd Amendment Rights for longer than any of us have been alive. Is Wayne "heavy handed " in his approach?? Not as bad as the anti 2nd Amendment kooks. This battle is what the guy does and has been doing it for many years with much success. If you don't like him or the organization...find a new one that will do as much.

Please don't think that just because the gender if female it would be a "kinder and gentler" approach. My ability to defend myself and my family means just as much to me as it does to any of you. I am not a shrinking violet...I am sure I have seen more death in my career than most of you. I know what the responsibility of using lethal force as a defense tool is and the weight it does carry. Don't underestimate women. Most of us are not taken in by the "snake oil salemen" who run D.C. and the party of anti gunners.
    gasmitty, wmhawth and dawei like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I'd like to ask if anyone cares to respond. What exactly does he spin? is it that Obama will appoint anti 2A congress members? do you think the cartels aren't in every city as he claims? do you think the UN gun resolution isn't as dangerous as he claims? do you think he's in bed with Ruger? do you think that we are in no danger of losing 2A? I'm curious of this. I see comments on You Tube of people saying: "I own guns but would never support NRA" or "I'm an NRA member but don't like Wayne" (as some here have said) so what exactly does he spin?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm still a Life Member and will continue on behind the NRA.
    Do they do everything correctly (according to my thinking)? No!
    But they do keep the 2A torch alive.OMO
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    They're not perfect, but they're the best we've got.

Ideally, I'd like a straight presentation of the facts. Spin is for the losers.

As as "Distinguished Life Member"* I do and will support the NRA. However, I reserve the right to criticize.

1) I wish the heck they would walk the talk and always hold our meeting where one can carry.

2) I wish the hype was better documented and less speculative as to what will happen when /if ....

------

As to the "best we got" folk might want to look at other organization leading the NRA in the fight until it looks like the fight is a winner then having the NRA jump in front of the parade and claim to be leading.

Check out when the NRA picked up on National Park carry issue [ See: The National Park Service self defense ban repeal effort time line ]. Check out when the NRA joined in the Heller case. etc.

Yes, I support the NRA. However, the real action is in the true grass-roots RKBA organizations, IMHO. And that's where I focus my efforts and resources.

-----
    * FWIIW, I'm not sure what I did to become "Distinguished" except just get old.
    Last edited by DaveH; April 16th, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added the * FWIIW
    dawei and Herknav like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You didn't like Marion Hammer?
    Speaking of women, spin, anti-RKBA rhetoric and emotional imagery ckeck out:

NRA's Marion Hammer stands her ground - CNN.com

NRA's Marion Hammer stands her ground

By Ann O'Neill, CNN
    updated 9:20 AM EDT, Sun April 15, 2012

SNIP

Brian Malte, director of legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said he considers Hammer an extremist.

"Marion Hammer and the NRA are the masterminds of a dangerous paranoid mentality that got Trayvon Martin killed, the mentality that is responsible for endangering all of our lives," Malte said. "It's based on a lie that you need to be armed to the teeth anywhere you go."

As a result, Hammer and the NRA have created an "armed utopia" in Florida, where people can shoot first, and ask questions later, he said.

"They say an armed society is a polite society," Malte said. "We say, 'Tell that to Trayvon Martin's parents.' "

[plus a bunch more]

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The hyperbole and 'spin' on the pro-gun side is lamentable, but let me ask this: What if the hyperbole and spin of the Brady Bunch and friends were left unmatched?

Sad to say, our politics have been dumbed down to sound bites and the intellectual level of American Idol. Forget Voter ID laws; I'd happily trade for Voter Intelligence laws with a comprehension test based on a 100-word essay on American history which could be read out loud in a voter's native language, as long as the answers were given in decipherable English. Just show me some evidence of critical thinking, and you get to proceed to the voting booth. Note I didn't say a "history test;" simply read a brief passage on American history and respond to a few questions that show evidence of brain function appropriate to the age of majority in our nation.
    I understand you sentiment but I look at it like this: The spin and fear mongering by the NRA is not IMO to sway anti's or even for lobbying. It is to get more money from NRA members who all agree with each other pretty much. Same as the Brady bunch.We don't beleive their fear mongering and they don't beleive the NRA's. That is thepart that ticks me off. I am no dummy and I read the 'newsletter',do my own research and find out it is 1/2 bull feces.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    I'd like to ask if anyone cares to respond. What exactly does he spin? is it that Obama will appoint anti 2A congress members? do you think the cartels aren't in every city as he claims? do you think the UN gun resolution isn't as dangerous as he claims? do you think he's in bed with Ruger? do you think that we are in no danger of losing 2A? I'm curious of this. I see comments on You Tube of people saying: "I own guns but would never support NRA" or "I'm an NRA member but don't like Wayne" (as some here have said) so what exactly does he spin?
    Look, you need to do some of your own research to find the specific answers you are looking for. Most folks have told you that in general he spins things and is a fear mongerer and preys on the fears and ignorance off members. You seem to already know some of the issues. I am not here to validate my opinion, no offense. But I have taught my son since he was a kid he needs to do his own homework and dad will jump in after he exhausted his means of resolving a problem. It is the only way to grow.

VIP Member
    Sure he's a fear monger, but guess what. That's his job!

Of course if you ask Dudley Brown of the NAGR (National Association for Gun Rights), Wayne LaPierre and the entire NRA is an anti gun establishment. If they put a picture next to the term "fear monger", they would use a likeness of Brown.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't need to do anything. There are probably some here that have been following LaPierre for years longer than me. I'm not going to write a college thesis on him. So I ask again, is there anyone else here that knows specifically what he spins?? I would be glad to look up after I know what he is suspected of spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Look, you need to do some of your own research to find the specific answers you are looking for. Most folks have told you that in general he spins things and is a fear mongerer and preys on the fears and ignorance off members. You seem to already know some of the issues. I am not here to validate my opinion, no offense. But I have taught my son since he was a kid he needs to do his own homework and dad will jump in after he exhausted his means of resolving a problem. It is the only way to grow.

Wayne LaPierre is a tireless fighter for the rights of all of us. He will debate anyone anywhere.
    He has my full support.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ah Wayne...

1. Yes he's a fear monger, but even paranoids have enemies. The threat is real.

2. "This is the most important election in history!" Repeat every 2/4 years to infinity.

3. For years I didn't like him very much. He just impresses me as a bit of a sleazeball elitist. But I was truly inspired by his statement to the UN last year. He was pissed off and very nearly, in my opinion, threatened armed revolt if our firearms were threatened.

4. Compromise is a slippery slope.

5. Does he act on his own, under the direction of the Board, or both?

6. He must be doing something right, but after all these years and political changes, is it time for a new "face man?" Who would it be?

7. Is he on an employment contract, or does he serve a set time, or is he at the favor of the Board?

8. If he ever left the NRA, where would he go? I'm thinking the vast majority of corporations would consider him toxic. Lobbyist probably.

9. Wayne and the NRA seemed to share the same DNA, it's hard to separate the man from the organization.

10. They both have only come lately to modern ideas of concealed carry and self defense, not to mention open carry, and still in my opinion, not fully on board. Hard to shuck off a hundred years of complacency, and then get past the national battles of the past.

11. As much as they harp on training and NRA certified Instructors, they could do a lot more to spread the programs around, and recruit new instructors.

I think I've drifted off topic. Oops!
    Stubborn likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Perhaps those of you that are so "down" on the NRA and LaPierre should go to Washington and fight for our gun rights, and do so as tireless as they have.
    The NRA is not 100% right, and there are many times that they don't stand as hard line as I'd like to see, but for $25.00 a year, try to find someone who has, and will continue to do as much for you as the NRA.

I'm an NRA Life member, I'm also a member of GOA and JPFO.

If every person that owns a gun was an NRA member, we would presently have zero gun control, nor would we have any near future concern of gun control.

Gun owners and members on this forum complaining about the NRA, is very much like complaining about farmers while you sit around the dinner table.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Perhaps those of you that are so "down" on the NRA and LaPierre should go to Washington and fight for our gun rights, and do so as tireless as they have.
    The NRA is not 100% right, and there are many times that they don't stand as hard line as I'd like to see, but for $25.00 a year, try to find someone who has, and will continue to do as much for you as the NRA.

I'm an NRA Life member, I'm also a member of GOA and JPFO.

If every person that owns a gun was an NRA member, we would presently have zero gun control, nor would we have any near future concern of gun control.

Gun owners and members on this forum complaining about the NRA, is very much like complaining about farmers while you sit around the dinner table.

I agree with the end results. But it does not change my mind about either organization using fear mongering to get more money. Since you and I and others have been down this road before I won't get into details, but both orgs presented to US, gun owners, that the small arms treaty at the UN would hurt our rights as Americans. That was 100 percent bull feces. NO treaty signed by us trumps the Constituiton. Period. It is just one example of both orgs using FEAR to confuse an issue. And I hope they were not wasting money on an effort that needed not be addressed.
    But in the end the orgs do good for us lobbying. But why blow smoke up our butts when there is no need to? Would you stop giving money to the NRA if they just presented unbiased facts to us or do we need to have fear instilled in us to give??? I like to think and intelligent gun owner would support the NRA. I feel insulted that they think they need to twist facts to try to 'convince' me of their need in my life.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links