Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre

This is a discussion on Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wondering, even some NRA members think Wayne L is a fear monger and that the NRA is way too pushy on allowing no restrictions. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre

Question About NRA and Wayne LaPierre

I'm wondering, even some NRA members think Wayne L is a fear monger and that the NRA is way too pushy on allowing no restrictions. How can you be an NRA member and not like him? how can you be pro gun but think some weapons like AR-15 or AK-47 should be illegal? they are after all just a rifle right? I ask this because I seriously want to know. Not trolling. I've only been into guns for about a year or so now. Thanks
    Edward7 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I did not renew my membership because he is a fear monger. His crap and divisive rhetoric about he POTUS is why.
    DoctorBob likes this.

He is a fear monger. No doubt about it. I can list many examples of his 'newsletter' that reaches new heights of hyperbole and inaccuracies. But they have been addressed in other threads. I am not talking about thinking some guns should be banned. I think most that do not like him don't want assualt weapons banned either. Reading what he puts out has as much pro gun spin on it as possible and using 'certain' stats to support gun rights. That is all well and good except when he omits stats that conflict with his views and NRA goals. All groups do that like the Brady bunch on the other side. So what you get is intellectual dishonesty on both sides. Just like right vs left and dem vs rep. You don't get the whole picture from one side, you have to do your own research to see the totality of the facts.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would rather have a pushy guy representing my interests than a pushover. Not saying everything he and the NRA put out is perfect or PC (which I think is a good thing), but without the NRA our rights for guns and self-defense would be in a completely different place.
    Walk softly ...

The NRA has played a big part in keeping the second amendment alive. There has not been another organization that has fought as hard and as long as the NRA for gun rights.
    Armey, YANG and BamaT like this.

I'm still a Life Member and will continue on behind the NRA.
    Do they do everything correctly (according to my thinking)? No!
    But they do keep the 2A torch alive.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So what don't NRA members like about them?

They're not perfect, but they're the best we've got.

Ideally, I'd like a straight presentation of the facts. Spin is for the losers.

I think he is a fear monger; he uses propaganda to raise $ for the NRA. However, that $ is used to defend our 2A rights. No doubt, the NRA is the most influential, most powerful pro 2A organization out there. They have my support, even though I do not agree with everything they do.
    RoadKill and DPro.40 like this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    I don't like Wayne because I don't like spin. I think that stretching the truth the way he does damages our credibility.
    DoctorBob and ericb327 like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

His rhetoric drives weapon and ammo sales to new records. That's probably why every gun I've bought in the last three or four years came with an NRA membership application.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm all for defending the 2nd amendment but not in the manner the NRA does. Like Suntzu wrote, I think that LaPierre can be as intellectually dishonest as the Brady Campaign and their ilk.

The NRA offends me on an intellectual level. I'm too intelligent to buy into the NRA's bs, and I don't care how arrogant that sounds. The NRA lies and inpsires fear and the gun companies who profit from the NRA can pay the bill, I'm not donating a single dollar.
    Sig35seven and DoctorBob like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Hype no doubt but with a purpose for himself and the NRA. Along the same lines as the Dems & Reps do.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    We need some female leadership in the NRA that is more sensitive to the needs of gun owners and antis alike.

What?

The hyperbole and 'spin' on the pro-gun side is lamentable, but let me ask this: What if the hyperbole and spin of the Brady Bunch and friends were left unmatched?

Sad to say, our politics have been dumbed down to sound bites and the intellectual level of American Idol. Forget Voter ID laws; I'd happily trade for Voter Intelligence laws with a comprehension test based on a 100-word essay on American history which could be read out loud in a voter's native language, as long as the answers were given in decipherable English. Just show me some evidence of critical thinking, and you get to proceed to the voting booth. Note I didn't say a "history test;" simply read a brief passage on American history and respond to a few questions that show evidence of brain function appropriate to the age of majority in our nation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links