Ted Nugent's message to Obama

This is a discussion on Ted Nugent's message to Obama within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hmmm, and if a rocker spoke this way over your favorite president, I think you all would cry foul. I don't care for his politics, ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Ted Nugent's message to Obama

hmmm, and if a rocker spoke this way over your favorite president, I think you all would cry foul.

I don't care for his politics, but I do care for respect of the office. People have no business to threaten the POTUS, period. No matter what party he is, respect the office.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It has been repeatedly called unconstitutional but there never was a Supreme Court decision
    against it.
    Wow. That is the most blatant statist attitude I could imagine. Have you ever even bothered to read the Constitution before? Calling for something like that tells me either the answer is no or you just don't like what it says. There was never a Supreme Court decision against all kinds of things the feds do that are not in the Constitution (and are therefore unconstitutional, if anyone would bother to read the 10th Amendment), but that doesn't make them right or legal. The Sedition Act, by its very existence, quite clearly violates 1A which states that CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW. If you believe in rule of law as much as you claim you do this never should've even crossed your mind. What you call for here is as immoral and offensive as it gets.
    1911srule likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I really really don't like the idea of restricting the ability to speak out against the government, it's policies or elected officials. You start down that road and it is a slippery slope to being like China or North Korea where you are jailed for not crying when the Supreme Leader dies. Obviously it would take major steps to get there, but the slippery slope is something we talk about alot when it comes to the 2A. I would say it applies to them all.
    1911srule likes this.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    hmmm, and if a rocker spoke this way over your favorite president, I think you all would cry foul.

I don't care for his politics, but I do care for respect of the office. People have no business to threaten the POTUS, period. No matter what party he is, respect the office.
    By disrespecting the POTUS we disrespect and dishonor ourselves. And as far as gun owner rights goes, let's be blunt,
    an incident such as this one at an NRA convention does lasting damage. It doesn't deserve applause or approval, but
    contempt.
    wmhawth, 8th ID, Toorop and 3 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    By disrespecting the POTUS we disrespect and dishonor ourselves. And as far as gun owner rights goes, let's be blunt,
    an incident such as this one at an NRA convention does lasting damage. It doesn't deserve applause or approval, but
    contempt.
    I agree that Ted did not do gun owners any favors with his speech - but cAlling for the re-establishment of the Sedition act in response????? If the 1A means anything, it means you can engage in unpopular speech that includes criticism of the government and/or it's agents.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

contempt.
    disrespect? you're disrespecting our freedoms with your advocacy of silencing dissent
    1911srule likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I agree that Ted did not do gun owners any favors with his speech - but cAlling for the re-establishment of the Sedition act in response????? If the 1A means anything, it means you can engage in unpopular speech that includes criticism of the government and/or it's agents.
    I'm calling for reinstatement of the Sedition act for many reasons beyond what this thread is about.
    It would definitely need some re-wording, moderation for today's sensibilities, but the popularity of public libel against officials has reached a disgusting zenith and needs some tempering.

K, I'm sure this isn't the place for a long discussion or debate on that act, and I may well be the sole soul in the country
    who would support such a move, but right now that is how I see it- Get the crap under control or lose our country to the
    basest loud mouths.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I agree this is not the place for a long discussion, so this discussion is over.
    HotGuns and oneshot like this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links