NAACP defends lawbreakers, wants self defense laws changed

This is a discussion on NAACP defends lawbreakers, wants self defense laws changed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Officers, public discuss recent spate of shootings | GoUpstate.com I don't think ths was Sheriff Wright's best performance. I give him kudos for showing up, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: NAACP defends lawbreakers, wants self defense laws changed

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

NAACP defends lawbreakers, wants self defense laws changed

Officers, public discuss recent spate of shootings | GoUpstate.com

I don't think ths was Sheriff Wright's best performance. I give him kudos for showing up, but we cannot give up any ground in this fight.

The NAACP wants to ignore the similar thread in each of the three cases. They all started with someone breaking the law.

2. Remove Ads

That whole article is so poorly written it's hard to follow. Maybe I need more coffee this AM.
    shooterX and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That whole article is so poorly written it's hard to follow. Maybe I need more coffee this AM.
    Is it the writing itself, or the fiasco it is trying to accurately report?
    shooterX likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The last thing in the world you will ever see from the NAACP is something that is right or just.
    Foo909 and tkruf like this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Officers, public discuss recent spate of shootings | GoUpstate.com

I don't think ths was Sheriff Wright's best performance. I give him kudos for showing up, but we cannot give up any ground in this fight.

The NAACP wants to ignore the similar thread in each of the three cases. They all started with someone breaking the law.
    Wasn't too good for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Yeah- it's a pretty terrible article. But, what I could gather; the people shot were maybe brothers- and the guy who shot them was a convicted felon. The felon wasn't charged, but he had a gun.

Why wasn't the felon, who shot people NOT in SD, charged for two homicides AND possession of a firearm by a felon? (Based on the article) The shooter witnessed the two breaking into his apartment, and then proceeded to shoot them both in the head.

Sorry, but I see quite a few reasons to charge him- felon with a gun, NOT in his home while it was being broken into. Castle Doctrine doesn't cover that.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

According to them, there should be 2 sets of laws......1 set for law abiding citizens and 1 set for those that commit crime and don't like the present laws as they pertain to felons.......the race card again......sickening.....IMO.
    tommy62, tkruf and RichB70 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post

Yeah- it's a pretty terrible article. But, what I could gather; the people shot were maybe brothers- and the guy who shot them was a convicted felon. The felon wasn't charged, but he had a gun.

Why wasn't the felon, who shot people NOT in SD, charged for two homicides AND possession of a firearm by a felon? (Based on the article) The shooter witnessed the two breaking into his apartment, and then proceeded to shoot them both in the head.

Sorry, but I see quite a few reasons to charge him- felon with a gun, NOT in his home while it was being broken into. Castle Doctrine doesn't cover that.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Let me get this straight.....two burglars are shot and killed...and it is the homeowner's fault.....an armed robber is shot and killed.....and it is the CCW and the gun at fault....and a person "squatting" in a home is shot....and it is the owner's fault. Hmmm...

I will be the first to say that persons not trained in dynamic entry or building clearing should never enter a building where they think a person is lurking. It is dangerous enough for several trained police to clear a building safely, let alone an untrained homeowner.

That said, if you are in a place you have the right to be, carrying a weapon you have the right to carry, and you have to use deadly force to defend yourself or another, well, as I have heard it so eloquently said, "Sucks to be you if you are the Bad Guy committing the crime."

I just wish the Police Chiefs had the intestinal fortitude to tell the people, "Maybe you should stop excusing your child's/family members criminal behavior by saying he 'made a bad decision' or some other such pile of horse hockey and put the blame where it belongs! If they had not been robbing or burglarizing that day or night, they would be alive today!!!"

Yeah, THAT'S not gonna happen......
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

There were three different incidences mentioned in the artilce.

One: two masked men enter a waffle house, one armed. Tells people to get on the ground or he will kill them. CWP holder shoots armed BG
    Two: A couple go check on an empty house they are selling due to Real estate agent telling them they think someone is in it. When they try to open the door, tresspasser answers it, grabs at owners, owner shoots.
    Three: man(felon) and his girlfried come back to her apartment and see two guys trying to break in. He grabs her gun from the glove compartment, confronts bg's and shoots them.

I do have some questions about stories two and three, but I trust our sheriff. The first story is cut and dried. This is the story that the news article seemed to spend the most time on.

I listed the incidents in chronological order. In the story they are reported Three, One, Two.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    Let me get this straight.....two burglars are shot and killed...and it is the homeowner's fault.....an armed robber is shot and killed.....and it is the CCW and the gun at fault....and a person "squatting" in a home is shot....and it is the owner's fault. Hmmm...

I will be the first to say that persons not trained in dynamic entry or building clearing should never enter a building where they think a person is lurking. It is dangerous enough for several trained police to clear a building safely, let alone an untrained homeowner.

That said, if you are in a place you have the right to be, carrying a weapon you have the right to carry, and you have to use deadly force to defend yourself or another, well, as I have heard it so eloquently said, "Sucks to be you if you are the Bad Guy committing the crime."

I just wish the Police Chiefs had the intestinal fortitude to tell the people, "Maybe you should stop excusing your child's/family members criminal behavior by saying he 'made a bad decision' or some other such pile of horse hockey and put the blame where it belongs! If they had not been robbing or burglarizing that day or night, they would be alive today!!!"

Yeah, THAT'S not gonna happen......
    Usually Sheriff Wright will say exactly that. It could be that the story was poorly reported or maybe he had on off night. It certainly had to be a tough crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post

The sheriff determined the the felon was not in possesion of the gun (it was his girlfriend's and stored in her glove compartment) until the situation turned into self defense.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see where any actual elves needed defending. ;-p
    (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

On topic...don't rob, don't squat, don't break in...death rate drops considerably.
    What a coincidence!

I wish a much larger portion of our society were able to define the phrase "personal responsibility."
    phreddy and accessbob like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The sheriff determined the the felon was not in possesion of the gun (it was his girlfriend's and stored in her glove compartment) until the situation turned into self defense.
    I had a roommate that was a felon and I have a CWP permit and we questioned if he could be around me. The police said " you are good to carry or possess a weapon AS long as he does not have access to it". Knowing he is a felon and leaving a gun in easy access to it is a violation of the law

So, let me see if I've got this straight...

If my kid robs a Waffle House at gunpoint and he shoots you, then....

"He's a good kid who just got mixed up with the wrong crowd, but was trying to straighten his life out."

"He never meant to shoot anybody. He just got scared."

And if you are lucky enough to get off the first shot, then....

"You took my boy away from me."

"He never meant to shoot anybody."

"You never said 'stop' or anything, you just gunned him down."

OK. I think I've got it now.
    phreddy, claude clay and Spirit51 like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I didn't see where any actual elves needed defending. ;-p
    (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

On topic...don't rob, don't squat, don't break in...death rate drops considerably.
    What a coincidence!

I wish a much larger portion of our society were able to define the phrase "personal responsibility."
    Apology for the title typo. I was trying to get it posted before I took my girls to school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links