If you're from TN, you may not like this one.

This is a discussion on If you're from TN, you may not like this one. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm surprised that it's the Republican base standing in the way of this bill. Also, it doesn't surprise me that one of the big business ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gene83

Thread: If you're from TN, you may not like this one.

I'm surprised that it's the Republican base standing in the way of this bill. Also, it doesn't surprise me that one of the big business companies that won't like it is FEDEX.

NRA-ILA | Tennessee: NRA-Backed Safe Commute and Employee Protection Bills Awaiting Floor Action in Last Days of Session
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I'm surprised that it's the Republican base standing in the way of this bill. Also, it doesn't surprise me that one of the big business companies that won't like it is FEDEX.

NRA-ILA | Tennessee: NRA-Backed Safe Commute and Employee Protection Bills Awaiting Floor Action in Last Days of Session
    FedEx didn't like it and Volkswagen in Chattanooga didn't like it either. Lawmakers were torn between siding with gun owners or big business in a state that sorely needs it. So, they basically did nothing and punted the ball down the road. I'm sure it will continue to be brought up until some version of it is eventually passed. It's a disappointment that it didn't go this session, but it really wasn't a big surprise (at least to me) considering that the Zimmerman thing has all the anti's fired up about any kind of legislation that proposes to lessen gun restrictions.

Maybe next session things will have quietened down enough for it to pass.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

That's the problem with politicians of any stripe, they are politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    That's the problem with politicians of any stripe, they are politicians.
    Pretty much self serving little (insert noun of your choice here) living off the taxpayer dollar. That's the way I view them. Your opinion may vary.
    Last edited by Gene83; April 30th, 2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: my noun was unacceptable
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Many D's are anti-gun, many R's are in the pocket of corporations.
    Last edited by rickohio; April 30th, 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling

All states need to have something like this passed. Virginia needs to pass a law such as this. Companies should not be able to forbid employees from storing firearms in their locked vehicle on company property. They can't insure your safety while on your way to and from work. If you stop for gas on the way to work or on the way home anything can happen. Sorry, not putting myself in that situation. My employer cannot protect me. They don't have the right to prohibit what I keep in my vehicle as far as I am concerned, no matter what the law says.

Their argument that it is to reduce violence in the work place is hog wash. An employee if pissed off enough can go home, get a gun and come back to unload. Their argument doesn't hold water.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    All states need to have something like this passed. Virginia needs to pass a law such as this. Companies should not be able to forbid employees from storing firearms in their locked vehicle on company property. They can't insure your safety while on your way to and from work. If you stop for gas on the way to work or on the way home anything can happen. Sorry, not putting myself in that situation. My employer cannot protect me. They don't have the right to prohibit what I keep in my vehicle as far as I am concerned, no matter what the law says.

Their argument that it is to reduce violence in the work place is hog wash. An employee if pissed off enough can go home, get a gun and come back to unload. Their argument doesn't hold water.

Here's the thing, and I've said it before. Both rules and laws are made for people who obey rules and laws. If I have a mind to shoot my boss, the last thing on my mind is going to be fear that I'll be fired or not get a good job reference because I have a gun stored in my car. We had an incident where a principal and an assistant principal were shot at a local school by a disgruntled teacher who had found out that he wasn't going to be hired the next year. Do you think the law against having a firearm on school property did anything whatsoever to prevent that? Nope, didn't even slow him down. And sadly, that's just the point that you can't seem to get through some people's heads, no matter how many times you repeat it.
    sdprof and ksholder like this.

That is a reprehensible attitude by the TN legislature. Remember those perps at election time.

The panjandrums at Weyerhaeuser in SE OK went on a witch hunt and had cops search employees cars: They fired everyone who had a gun in their car. The OK legislature passed a law allowing guns in autos in company parking lots. Whirlpool and Ramsey Winch joined Weyerhaeuser in fighting the law in federal court. Folks in OK started talking boycott and Whirlpool dropped out after pressure from Sears. After a hard fight by the NRA and the OK Attorney General, Drew Edmonson, the law was ruled valid by a federal appeals court.

i will not buy a Ramsey winch.

Oklahoma Parking Lot Law Stands | Gun Digest - We Know Guns So You Know Guns

................................. A federal lawsuit filed in 2004 claimed the statutes were unconstitutional and preempted by federal statutes. The federal district court rejected the plaintiffs’ constitutional arguments but found that the statutes were preempted by the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA).”

The case eventually went to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, which, “reversed the district court’s decision regarding OSHA.”

“We will continue to vigorously defend the Second Amendment right of every American to keep and bear arms,” Edmondson said. “I am grateful to the NRA for their expertise and support in this effort.”

Yep remind them at election time who they work for,not who they decide what they think is best
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links