Defensive Carry banner

"New Study Reveals One Assault Rifle is Traced Back to Crime in Md Every 48 Hrs"

3K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
"New Study Reveals One Assault Rifle is Traced Back to Crime in Md Every 48 Hrs"

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=71788

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/9799624/detail.html

(ATF) show that 789 assault rifles were traced to crime in Maryland from Jan. 2, 1998 to Dec. 31, 2001, but the actual number of assault weapons traced to crime in the state is likely to be higher......

....According to the tracing data, the most common assault rifles traced to crime by make and model include: 21 Colt AR-15s; 46 USA Military Surplus M1 Carbines; 55 Ruger Mini14s; 92 HiPoint 9mm carbines; and 294 North China Industries SKS variants......
Does anybody have any details about this report?

I find it next to impossible to believe these numbers!

Are they including weapons that were stolen during burglaries? Even if they weren't used in the actual commision of a crime?

I really find it hard to believe that there are that many M1 carbines being used in crimes!

#7 ·
Yeah I can't exactly imagine some thug holding up a bank, let alone a 7-11, with an M1 Garand. I would agree that this sounds extremely bogus.

#9 ·
I still haven't been able to find any more info.

It makes me wonder what the purported numbers are for handguns.

#12 ·
Just what exactly does "traced back to a crime" mean?

Ain't NO ONE uses an AR15 to rob a liquor store. Now, if "traced back to a crime" means "stolen", well, then maybe....

#13 ·
These numbers can't be true..........

If there were that many crimes committed with the rifles listed, we would be hearing about it on the nightly news.....EVERY NIGHT!

There is no way that many crimes occurred, the antis would be having a field day. It especially can't be true in the PRMd.:banned:

#21 ·
So... 7 year span of time 1 study per year not even done by them sounds like the usual anti cow plop in the sun, it looks bad, smells bad, and the only good it actually dose is when you bury it in the dirt.

#22 ·
I got this from the NRA...
"CEASEFIRE MARYLAND" SHOOTING BLANKS

Historically, the state of Maryland has had higher murder rates than the nation as a whole, and for quite a few years it has had a handful of very aggressive gun control supporters. So in 1994, when the now-defunct federal "assault weapon" ban was imposed, Maryland's state government--dominated by anti-gunners at the time--additionally imposed a statewide "assault pistol" ban, a "large" magazine restriction, a seven-day waiting period on "assault weapon" sales, and a law limiting "assault weapon" sales to dealers in "Regulated Firearms."

At the time, Maryland's murder rate was 29% higher than the national rate. Since then, the federal ban, federal and many states' waiting periods on gun sales, and numerous other gun control laws have expired or been rescinded, but Maryland has increased its gun control restrictions. And, Maryland's murder rate is 71% higher than the national rate. More gun control, more murder.

The solution? If you are CeaseFire Maryland, a Brady Campaign offshoot in "The Free State," it is more gun control. CeaseFire recently came out with a paper claiming that an "assault weapon" is "traced to a crime" once every 48 hours in Maryland.

The paper is nonsense, for a number of reasons. First, it is based entirely upon old BATF firearm tracing data, which the Congressional Research Service and other researchers have pointed out are unsuitable for drawing conclusions about the kinds of guns used to commit violent crimes. Most guns that are traced have never been used to commit a violent crime, and most guns that are used to commit violent crimes are never traced. CeaseFire conspicuously fails to mention that most of the "assault weapons" traced in Maryland had nothing to do with violent crimes.

In addition, CeaseFire used the Violence Policy Center (VPC) approach to defining "assault weapon," including all guns defined as such in the defunct federal ban, all guns defined as "assault pistols" in Maryland, plus the M1 Carbine, Ruger Mini-14, and SKS. Not only that, but like VPC, CeaseFire categorized a gun as an "assault weapon" even if it did not meet the old federal definition, due to not having attachments like flash suppressors, folding stocks, and bayonet mounts. Pathetically, CeaseFire also refers to all of these guns as "assault rifles," to misleadingly suggest that they are machine guns.

Finally, CeaseFire does not say how many violent crimes have been committed with "assault weapons," or whether in any such crimes the type of gun involved was relevant. It mentions the Muhammad/Malvo "sniper" killings in the Washington, D.C.-area several years ago, without noting that in each crime only one shot was fired, which could have been accomplished with any firearm.

In trying to make a case for more gun control, CeaseFire has its work cut out for it. Despite having much more gun control than most states, Maryland's murder rate is higher, compared to the rest of the country, than it ever has been. And while the U.S. rate has been steady the last five years, Maryland's has risen 16%.
Good Luck. :smile:

#23 ·
Went and read this little morsel and am still awed. What usually happens with "studies" like these is they tend to leave out a few very important things, like how many of these weapons involved in crimes were "legal" or if the person had the right to own them (ie felons etc) . I did notice that this one study mentioned that many of the assaults occured while serving warrents and the like and that should tell you something right there . I could keep going , but it would take a LONG post to bring to light all the falsehoods and twisting of facts. Lol , still like their little bit about shooting from the hip with things like an SKS , spraying fire . Almost funny if they were not serious .

#24 ·
Here is another story related to this 'study'.....

http://www.wmdt.com/topstory/topstory.asp?id=2331

"The true numbers of these guns being used in a crime are very low," Truitt said.

Wicomico County State's Attorney Davis Ruark says "To put it into perspective, out of the last three murders I've tried, two involved a knife and the other brute force."
He also says he sees more crimes involving knives than long guns.
At least somebody in Maryland sees the light.......

#25 ·
Somebody Pull My Finger...

and let the gas out of this bogus report!
Sheesh...who comes up with this stuff?:aargh4:

ret:urla9ub:

#28 ·
my favorits:

The SKS rifle is a “post-ban” version of the AK-47 assault rifle.:hand5: A 2002 ATF report labeled the SKS "the rifle model most frequently encountered by law enforcementofficers" and stated that "these high capacity rifles pose an enhanced threat to law enforcement, in part because of their ability to expel projectiles at velocities that are
capable of penetrating the type of soft body armor typically worn by the law enforcement.

Then it says this:

The SKS was developed in the late 1940s for use by the Russian military, and was adopted and produced in huge quantities by China through the 1970s.

SO HOW IS THE SKS A "Post Ban" version of the AK if it was designed in the 40's????:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.