MI senator, Carl Levin, responds to nat'l reciprocity

This is a discussion on MI senator, Carl Levin, responds to nat'l reciprocity within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear MotorCityGun, Thank you for contacting me about state reciprocity for carrying concealed firearms. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter. On February 18, ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By gasmitty

Thread: MI senator, Carl Levin, responds to nat'l reciprocity

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Dear MotorCityGun,

Thank you for contacting me about state reciprocity for carrying concealed firearms. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter.

On February 18, 2011, Representative Cliff Stearns (R-FL) introduced the National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 (H.R.822). This bill would require all states that issue concealed carry permits to accept as valid concealed carry permits issued by all other states. In effect, this bill would bar any state from applying its own eligibility standards for concealed carry permits to out-of-state visitors. On November 16, 2011, the House of Representatives passed H.R.822. Two related bills (S.2188 and S.2213) have been referred to the Senate Committee on the Judiciary.

Under current federal law, the adoption and enforcement of eligibility standards for concealed carry permits is left to the states. Some states have rigorous standards. For example, a number of states will not issue concealed carry permits to alcohol abusers, those convicted of misdemeanor crimes or those who have not completed a training course to show they know how to use a gun. Other states have minimal or no concealed carry standards beyond the baseline federal laws governing which individuals are prohibited from possessing a gun, such as felons. Under H.R.822, a state’s concealed carry eligibility laws would still apply to residents, but they would no longer apply to out-of-state visitors, even alcohol abusers or those with criminal misdemeanor convictions.

In 2009, Senator John Thune (R-SD) offered an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 that, if agreed to, would have had the same effect as H.R.822. I voted against the Thune amendment because it, like H.R.822, would have required nearly every state to allow visitors to carry concealed, loaded weapons within their borders, even if state law would not allow it. The Thune amendment was withdrawn after it failed to reach the 60-vote threshold established under a unanimous consent agreement.

Congress should not require that one state’s laws trump another’s, and out-of-state visitors should not be treated differently than state residents. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
    Carl Levin
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

As a resident of one of those states that "...have minimal or no concealed carry standards beyond the baseline federal laws governing which individuals are prohibited from possessing a gun," I say, "Phbbbbbbbt"

Show me how in such states as mine, the concealed carry permit holders have been any less responsible than those in the overly restrictive states.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

The point has been raised by others previously, which is that we ought not to seek Federal remedies to State issues. The matter of driver's licenses being recognized by all the states in the Union was resolved by a compact among all states and most decidedly NOT by Federal Law! I understand that it's natural and intuitive to seek a Federal-level solution, but think about it - do you really want to vest any more power into the same people who are now planning to use the IRS to determine who is allowed to get passports and guns?
    Moops, Caertaker, Sig 210 and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    which is that we ought not to seek Federal remedies to State issues.
    I agree but what else would you expect from a entrenched statist?
    I'm actually surprised his staff responded. I have yet to receive a response from "my" senator.

Senator Levin responded with the same reply to me back in March.

I'm still awaiting his reply for a list of states which allow alcohol ABUSERS or those with CRIMINAL misdemeanor convictions to carry concealed.

Any one know who they are?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The point has been raised by others previously, which is that we ought not to seek Federal remedies to State issues. The matter of driver's licenses being recognized by all the states in the Union was resolved by a compact among all states and most decidedly NOT by Federal Law! I understand that it's natural and intuitive to seek a Federal-level solution, but think about it - do you really want to vest any more power into the same people who are now planning to use the IRS to determine who is allowed to get passports and guns?
    Please stop perpetuating this misstatement/exaggeration/lie. The bill in question does not have any provisions relating to prohibiting or confiscating guns.

In response to nolffr's question, again, my LAX state requires that the sheriff verify the applicant is not an alcohol or drug abuser, has no convictions of felonies or violent crimes, no history of violence and so on and on.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Links