Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder

This is a discussion on Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; he got it Obama grants Holder request on 'Furious' documents as contempt vote looms | Fox News...

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

Ah, but before the ink is really even dry on Obama's scheme to further cover things up.. The House Oversight Committee still slaps Holder with a Contempt of Congress charge.

Committee votes to hold Eric Holder in contempt over Fast and Furious | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    Ah, but before the ink is really even dry on Obama's scheme to further cover things up.. The House Oversight Committee still slaps Holder with a Contempt of Congress charge.

Committee votes to hold Eric Holder in contempt over Fast and Furious | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
    And..... then what? Can't you guys see that this is all about partisan posturing and positioning. If they really
    want to know what happened they can let the IG do his job.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

They waste millions of dollars on Roger Clemens trial over whether he was juicing in baseball or not yet on something that ACTUALLY matters the president envokes Executive Privilege. There are some priorities way out of line here.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well if the house votes to find him in contempt they'll have alot of company. Like the majority of the Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And..... then what? Can't you guys see that this is all about partisan posturing and positioning. If they really
    want to know what happened they can let the IG do his job.
    I'm sorry, I do not see it that way.
    The F&F was a scheme cooked up by the GDubya Bush administration, supposedly to snare those in the Drug Cartels. There was a break down in the process under Holder and the present regime that resulted in the death of US LEO's at the hands of guns that (to my understanding) were supposedly destroyed, not supposedly used in F&F, but are now being claimed as being involved in F&F. Holder is refusing to turn over documents that would clear things up on that question as well as others.

I will correct my earlier statement that the Committee voted to hold Holder in Contempt.. I was mistaken, the Committee voted to recommend that Holder be held in Contempt.. Not the same thing but close. He has not yet been held in Contempt.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

And..... then what? Can't you guys see that this is all about partisan posturing and positioning.
    This partisan sideshow will end election day. The government will settle for the wrongful deaths of agents Zapata and Terry; all those murdered Mexican citizens will be forgotten. The BATFE will continue to violate the rights of US gunowners. Neither political party has a lock on the truth. The Democrats on Issa's committee made their minority report earlier this year. There are things in that report the Republicans would not talk about.

We are familiar with the story of the Issa committee. Most folks have never seen the Democrats minority report on this so called "investigation".

http://democrats.oversight.house.gov...port_13112.pdf
    Hopyard and Xader like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Most folks have never seen the Democrats minority report on this so called "investigation".

http://democrats.oversight.house.gov...port_13112.pdf
    I find it interesting that the Democrats on this committee are pointing fingers at AZ in this minority report claiming that Arizona dropped the ball when Arizona was effectively being blocked by both Hilary in the SoS (what party does she belong to?) and by DHS/DOJ (what party do they both belong to?) during this period of time to utilize one of the most effective tools that the AZ State Legislature had passed and Gov Brewer had signed. You know, the one that permitted Police to verify citizenship during stops.

I will wholeheartedly agree with your statement that
    Neither political party has a lock on the truth.
    In fact, I might suggest that it is becoming clear that nether party would even know the truth if it stood up in front of and slapped each of them.

You know, the one that permitted Police to verify citizenship during stops.
    And what does this have to do with Fast and Furious?

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    SD is a reference to a former member "SelfDefense" who was very opinionated on constitutional issues.
    Wow, he sure sounds out of place on this forum!

And what does this have to do with Fast and Furious?
    Goes to why the Democrats are claiming that Arizona dropped the ball when Arizona was being restrained from taking any action that might look like they were doing DOJ's, DHS's or SoS's job while waiting for the Supreme Court Decision. There are many causes and effects that have to be considered in this whole mess. Though I will agree that both of the top two Political Parties are to blame in this.. it is far from mere political posturing because it so deeply extends into a severe lack of honesty or integrity and a complete ineptitude on the part of either political party. I say that because I see that our government is no longer being run by our Politicians, but by the Political Parties that came to own them and direct them as they sold their souls to their Parties in exchange for Campaign funding.

I say that because I see that our government is no longer being run by our Politicians, but by the Political Parties that came to own them and direct them as they sold their souls to their Parties in exchange for Campaign funding
    Bingo!!

Preservation of the party line matters most to congressmen. There is one bright guy on Issa's committee; US Rep Gowdy. I watched Gowdy being interviewed on CNN 360 yesterday. The interview:

Rep. Gowdy: Obama's use of executive privilege absurd – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

VIP Member
    Bingo!!

Preservation of the party line matters most to congressmen. There is one bright guy on Issa's committee; US Rep Gowdy. I watched Gowdy being interviewed on CNN 360 yesterday. The interview:

Rep. Gowdy: Obama's use of executive privilege absurd – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs
    I think Mr. Gowdy is taking much too narrow a view of what Executive Privilege is, and what its boundaries
    are. I got some grief earlier when I said it could extend to the janitor. Though that was perhaps hyperbole,
    it extends to the deliberations of the Agencies--- and it is particularly necessary to protect Justice
    from Congressional meddling. Think of the mischief former Congressman Jefferson (the one with about 100 grand
    found by the FBI in his office freezer) might have caused had be been able to subpoena evidence from Justice and learn
    about the investigation into his corruption. EP can't be limited as many think it is, solely to national security.
    There are many things which must be kept secret to protect innocent people, witnesses, and effectively
    accomplish the mission of law enforcement.

Imagine if you would, you are the powerful CEO of MegaCorp. You get wind of Justice investigating
    your activities in (hypothetical) Bolivia. If EP doesn't extend beyond national security they could pay off
    a few Congress Critters and thwart the investigation.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Imagine if you would, you are the powerful CEO of MegaCorp. You get wind of Justice investigating
    your activities in (hypothetical) Bolivia. If EP doesn't extend beyond national security they could pay off
    a few Congress Critters and thwart the investigation.
    Doesnt' that already happen? I'm not sure how EP even applies there anyway. I think it is safe to say that none of us here are authorities on exactly when EP can be implimented, especially since the people who use it or are blocked by it can't agree, and the judges try to stay out of it.

I think we will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Doesnt' that already happen? I'm not sure how EP even applies there anyway. I think it is safe to say that none of us here are authorities on exactly when EP can be implimented, especially since the people who use it or are blocked by it can't agree, and the judges try to stay out of it.

I think we will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Part in bold-- it is simply the ability of the Executive Branch to conduct its affairs free from Congressional political
    meddling. In the hypothetical I gave, it could be used to keep information from the aforementioned
    critter about the criminal investigation in progress against him.

When I was still working, we would periodically be warned that we were not to answer requests
    from Congress or speak with Congresspersons, and MUST inform higher authority about any contacts
    made to us and any requests made to us. There are many good reasons why things need to work that way.

Interestingly, as my office was entirely open to the public and anyone could come in and visit and ask
    whatever they wanted, the ordinary citizen had more potential access to what we did than Congress.

Too, Agents of the IG's office or the OSC had broad investigatory powers to ferret out wrongdoing.
    My one encounter with them, though brief and about something I had no clue about, was a most unpleasant
    experience.

You can argue forever about whether or not things should be this way or a different way, but they have evolved over
    200+ years, with each step usually having occurred for good reason and good intent.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Links