Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder

This is a discussion on Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by LkWd_Don I went looking for an answer to the question about who the 17 Democrats were that voted to hold Holder in ...

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    I went looking for an answer to the question about who the 17 Democrats were that voted to hold Holder in Contempt and came across the 270 page report to Congress that the vote was based on.

Here is a link to it. It takes a long while to download. Be patient.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-11...112hrpt546.pdf

EDIT: Here is a link to the Vote.. Democrats are listed in italics on the list.
    Altmire, Barrow, Boren, Boswell, Chandler, Critz, Donnelly (IN), Hochul, Kind, Kissell, Matheson, McIntyre, Owens, Peterson, Rahall,
    Ross (AR) and Walz (MN)

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll441.xml
    So?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    So?
    Was posting facts in response to:
    Quote Originally Posted by beararms
    Anyone know the names of the 17 Democrats who voted in favor? Kudos to them. And let's also ID the two Republicans who voted against.
    Sorry, beararms, I missed that you asked about the Republicans who voted No..
    LaTourette and Rigell
    beararms likes this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

And Holder dancing in the street doing his version of MC Hammer singing Can't touch this.
    DPro.40 likes this.

You mean hide incriminating evidence. It's all how you look at it. Justice department just said they won't prosecute Holder. What a joke this administration is.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Let the CBC do what it does, but we will not discuss race here.

The 17 Dems that voted for Contempt may have: 1) Believed that was the correct answer or 2) Wanted air support for re-election and realized not voting, or voting against it, might shorten their illustrious careers. I vote (2) as cynicism reins. It doesn't matter either.

It passed, and we'll see where it goes now.
    It is what it is R&G. It's difficult to put a different spin on it when the card is being played so openly by the Dems. I hope common sence is soon restored to all. It's sad to see our nation in such a state of affairs
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    You mean hide incriminating evidence. It's all how you look at it. Justice department just said they won't prosecute Holder. What a joke this administration is.
    A bit presumptuous don't you think? Since The House Committee hasn't seen the documents, and has as is true,
    received evidence as presented in the Eban story, why would you assert that there is incriminating evidence
    being hidden?

Look, just like when you have an encounter with LE, the more you talk the more stuff can get twisted.
    It works the same way with EP. The more given over, the more things get spun.

You can't infer criminality from the use of EP just as you can't infer criminality from
    someone refusing to talk with the police and taking the 5th.

Both are well established privileges. Go back to post 273 and read what is at the link. See how it worked
    during the Reagan administration.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    I think you are omitting a step which isn't going to happen.

8 Op O L C 101 (1984)

http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...c-101-1984.pdf
    To recap,
    1) Congress is suing in civil court (good people will not sit by and do nothing).
    2) Hopyard wants to talk about EP (and the Administration wants to hide behind it).
    3) The IG report is due most probably within a few weeks (so I read somewhere on the internet).

At least one of my Dem senators have been "looking forward" to the IG report to reevaluate ATF, and possibly Mr. Holder's fate to continue in his post. They can expect a tickler from me when the report comes. I'll let you all know their answer.
    Senator Diane Feinstein actually addresses the issue I write about like this response from May, 2011 (recall the mantra of "not enough resources to enforce our gun laws" just before F&F exploded)
    With its responsibility to enforce federal firearms laws, ATF has the important task of stopping the illegal use and trafficking of firearms. I believe Congress should provide ATF with the resources and tools it needs so that the federal government can keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

I am aware that, recently, there have been criticisms of "Project Gunrunner," an ATF initiative to investigate and stop the trafficking of firearms across the border to Mexico. According to media reports, ATF agents have alleged that as part of the initiative's "Operation Fast and Furious," ATF knowingly let firearms be trafficked across the border as part of its investigation. Two guns related to "Operation Fast and Furious" were also found at the scene of the December 14, 2010, murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, but ATF has stated that neither of the guns were the murder weapon.

Please know that Attorney General Eric Holder has asked the Inspector General of the Department of Justice to review the situation; the Inspector General is responsible for conducting internal and independent investigations of the Department to ensure its employees and programs abide by the law and act in the best interest of the Nation. I look forward to reviewing the Inspector General's report to see what, if any, recommendations are made with regard to ATF's policies and procedures.
    However Senator Barbara Boxer's responses are usually the following form letter:
    Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.
    ... (more boilerplate babble)

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

A bit presumptuous don't you think? Since The House Committee hasn't seen the documents, and has as is true,
    received evidence as presented in the Eban story, why would you assert that there is incriminating evidence
    being hidden?

Look, just like when you have an encounter with LE, the more you talk the more stuff can get twisted.
    It works the same way with EP. The more given over, the more things get spun.

You can't infer criminality from the use of EP just as you can't infer criminality from
    someone refusing to talk with the police and taking the 5th.

Both are well established privileges. Go back to post 273 and read what is at the link. See how it worked
    during the Reagan administration.
    I see your pont and I do get it. On some levels I agree. I could equally say its presumptuous to say there isn't any criminal evidence. Door swings both ways. I just feel the Administration over played there hand and the refusal to present to the American people looks bad and the lack of apology to the parents of the agency make my blood boil. Such arrogance. The law applies to everyone. How can there not be anything criminal when they were making illeagle straw purchases and suppose to be tracking the guns. I suppose any apology would be an indirect admission of guilt. He's from a stock of Chicago politions. I can infer criminal liability and do my friend. He was after the second amendment. I believe that with all my fiber. If it turns out to be false I'll come to Brazos County and by you a steak.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I see your pont and I do get it. On some levels I agree. I could equally say its presumptuous to say there isn't any criminal evidence. Door swings both ways. I just feel the Administration over played there hand and the refusal to present to the American people looks bad and the lack of apology to the parents of the agency make my blood boil. Such arrogance. The law applies to everyone. How can there not be anything criminal when they were making illeagle straw purchases and suppose to be tracking the guns. I suppose any apology would be an indirect admission of guilt. He's from a stock of Chicago politions. I can infer criminal liability and do my friend. He was after the second amendment. I believe that with all my fiber. If it turns out to be false I'll come to Brazos County and by you a steak.
    Part in bold is very much in dispute.

Nevertheless, I just want to stick with EP, because our other discussions enter partisan politics, or
    are dependent on information either in dispute or not on the table.
    Andrew Jackson

[QUOTE=Hopyard;2303308]Part in bold is very much in dispute.

Nevertheless, I just want to stick with EP, because our other discussions enter partisan politics, or
    are dependent on information either in dispute or not on the table.[/QUO

Wouldn't be in dispute if they would stop hiding behind EP. Show they did nothing illegal. Answer the American peoples demands. They work for us least they have forgotten.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=DPro.40;2303325]
    Part in bold is very much in dispute.

are dependent on information either in dispute or not on the table.[/QUO

Wouldn't be in dispute if they would stop hiding behind EP. Show they did nothing illegal. Answer the American peoples demands. They work for us least they have forgotten.
    1) Yeah, sure, talk to that nice police officer after your gun is used in a robbery. Don't bring a lawyer. You can
    just tell him the truth. You'll be fine. You can just tell him how your gun was left in a toilet and you didn't notice;
    they won't blame the robbery on you. See. It works the same way with EP. And there is the other aspect,
    which is that some things are not part of COngress' business. Its called Separation of Powers.

2) Tell the last part to your nice police officer too. "You work for me." See where that gets you.
    Andrew Jackson

[QUOTE=Hopyard;2303367]

1) Yeah, sure, talk to that nice police officer after your gun is used in a robbery. Don't bring a lawyer. You can
    just tell him the truth. You'll be fine. You can just tell him how your gun was left in a toilet and you didn't notice;
    they won't blame the robbery on you. See. It works the same way with EP. And there is the other aspect,
    which is that some things are not part of COngress' business. Its called Separation of Powers.

2) Tell the last part to your nice police officer too. "You work for me." See where that gets you.
    Your logic seams to suggest the administration does have something to hide. And yes they are suppose to answer to the people. They call it the judicial system. You can spin it any way you want but your spin just supports why they are ducking and not why they are trying to assist in getting answers. I suppose your correct. If I was a criminal I guess I'd cover up too so I wouldn't have to admit that I broke the law.
    Last edited by DPro.40; June 29th, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Ronald Reagan

I know my eye's are going nuts.. I could swear people are talking to themselves
    DPro.40 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Grassley, Issa move to protect F&F whistleblowers

Senator Charles Grassley and Congressman Darrel Issa are moving to protect two Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives whistleblowers in the Operation Fast and Furious scandal after learning they have been placed under the supervision of a man who “vowed to retaliate against them.”

Grassley, Issa move to protect F&F whistleblowers - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Grassley, Issa move to protect F&F whistleblowers

Senator Charles Grassley and Congressman Darrel Issa are moving to protect two Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives whistleblowers in the Operation Fast and Furious scandal after learning they have been placed under the supervision of a man who “vowed to retaliate against them.”

Grassley, Issa move to protect F&F whistleblowers - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    The IG should have paid attention to the whistleblowers and protected them from the get-go.. I am still amazed that did not happen and it makes me wonder if and who told the IG to ignore such reports for that blatant violation of federal whistleblower laws to have occurred.

Links