Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder

This is a discussion on Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last few posts, Pistology and onward, I think we are getting near a consensus. Peace....

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Rep. Issa Pushing Contempt Order Against Eric Holder

VIP Member
    Last few posts, Pistology and onward, I think we are getting near a consensus. Peace.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You are absolutely right with your above comments. We'd probably get along great if we stayed away
    from politics.

We have House rules @ Chez Hopyard: No Politics, No Religion, No Football.

Your rules....your house, BUT this isn't YOUR house. When 2nd Amendment Rights intersect with politics, there is no choice. I guess you could stay away from those posts that "offend" YOUR personal rules, but you don't, do you.
    Old School likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I do not ever start such threads. I have never started a political discussion here. What I am saying is that
    if we don't want this board to be political, which is the position that is officially taken, responsibility lies with
    the person who starts the thread or makes the first political post. After that, it is inevitable that others will
    salute the comment or oppose it.

I'm trying to keep my mouth shut on the merits of the charge, but you can already see from post 23 how this is going to
    end up.
    Well Hop,
    if it bothers you so much then may I suggest you do not post in a thread you deem not worthy of this Forum. If the mods shut it down then that is fine with me. But I wonder how much time you have on your hands to keep going back to a thread, posting on it, and then complaining about it.........I like you hop but sometimes I just have to:
    picard-headesk.jpg
    First Sgt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Hop, you of all folks are crying about a political thread LOL. You are one of he folks that jumps right in.
    I agree...

These type of threads are Hop's bread & butter, as the hardware threads are usually cut black or white with little room for debate. The others leave room for scolding us on how wrong our thinking is. Smart guy, but lives for these red meat issues & political debates.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Well...anyway...back to the subject at hand...It appears the House IS drafting a "Contempt Citation" against Holder.

House Drafts Contempt Citation Against Holder Over Fast and Furious
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Your rules....your house, BUT this isn't YOUR house. When 2nd Amendment Rights intersect with politics, there is no choice. I guess you could stay away from those posts that "offend" YOUR personal rules, but you don't, do you.
    How does any of this actually intersect with 2 A rights? There was an investigation of illegal gun running into
    Mexico. It appears to have been botched. A tragedy happened. None of which is a 2A issue. Just because something
    happened to involve guns does not make it a 2A issue. That's like saying it is a 2A issue if a cop mistakenly
    shoots a vagrant.

If you can explain to me how routine law enforcement gone bad is a 2A issue, maybe I'll understand where you
    are coming from.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

How does any of this actually intersect with 2 A rights? There was an investigation of illegal gun running into
    Mexico. It appears to have been botched. A tragedy happened. None of which is a 2A issue. Just because something
    happened to involve guns does not make it a 2A issue. That's like saying it is a 2A issue if a cop mistakenly
    shoots a vagrant.

If you can explain to me how routine law enforcement gone bad is a 2A issue, maybe I'll understand where you
    are coming from.
    Some folks believe that the administration and Holder had this set up so that when it goes bad it would help them make gun control laws stricter. The notion is the populace would "see" how easy it is to procur firearms giving them the leverage to impose more controls on gun purchases. That would make it a 2A issue.

Some folks believe that the administration and Holder had this set up so that when it goes bad it would help them make gun control laws stricter. The notion is the populace would "see" how easy it is to procur firearms giving them the leverage to impose more controls on gun purchases. That would make it a 2A issue.
    Yeah, what he said. You may not agree, but I can't believe you don't see the tie that some of us do. Maybe you just don't wish to see it.
    Old School, scgunlover1 and tkruf like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Bingo! Me and my tinfoil hat fit right into "some folks".
    I believe this is an issue of a "dirty" AG using the Justice Dept. along with his power and influence to further his own personal anti-gun agenda.

edit: and most likely the agenda of his "Boss" as well.
    Last edited by Stubborn; May 4th, 2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: additional thought
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Well...anyway...back to the subject at hand...It appears the House IS drafting a "Contempt Citation" against Holder.

House Drafts Contempt Citation Against Holder Over Fast and Furious
    On sources and lack thereof:
    “To date, the Justice Department has not indicated what official had the responsibility to coordinate and de-conflict law enforcement efforts across agencies,” Issa says.
    Issa says just about everything that has been discovered about the scheme has come from ATF whistleblowers or journalists. “Little of what is known today came as a result of formal Justice Department disclosures.”
    Issa says that as late as February last year, the Justice Department was misleading Congress into thinking that the whistleblowers’ accusations should be dismissed.
    On stonewalling:
    .... More than a year after field operations of Fast and Furious ended, the Attorney General still insists he needs more facts before holding individuals responsible for facilitating the transfer of weapons to Mexican drug cartels
    “Congress now faces a moment of decision between exerting its full authority to compel an agency refusing to cooperate with congressional oversight or accepting a dangerous expansion of Executive Branch authority and unilateral action allowing agencies to set their own terms for cooperating with congressional oversight."
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My condolences.

In my opinion, anything that has to do with the adminstration of the BATF involves the 2nd amendment.

I wish Holder would have co-operated. I would have had a better opinion of him and maybe some lessons could have been learned. Since he has not and due to the importance of the issue, I agree with the contempt charge.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Originally Posted by Hopyard
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    My condolences.
    I saw that too...I just figured he must be an "Aggie" fan.
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

shoots a vagrant.

are coming from.
    How about the fact that Madam Hillary whispered into Obama's ear that he should not allow the re-importation of American Made and Historical Weaponry back into the United States from South Korea simply because as Fast and Furious had showed, Weapons that had been confiscated in the US and were scheduled for destruction made it back into the hands of Criminals on American Streets after being lost track of in Mexico.

It is all a bit too circumstantial for my likes.. I am seeing a trend here that highly disturbs me.

Knowing that if the M1 Garand Battle Rifles and M1911's were to be re-imported back into the USA for sale, then they would have to be sold through FFL holders in compliance with BATF and DOJ rules and oversight, makes me wonder just whom Hillary and Obama are saying that they can not trust?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

I'm not even certain how my desire to see Holder removed from office is a violation of any rules here. He will be removed from office following the contempt citation, or by Obama losing the election (I hope anyways).

You should check out the article Fox posted this morning with the official DoJ response to the citation charge that was sent to Holder. Quite amusing. Apparently Issa is trying to gain headlines by going after Holder in an election year. Let's not worry about why this issue has actually been dragged into an election year... Holder caused the investigation to go this long, and will hold things up even longer. It's what he is good at. Such a sad state of affairs.

@Stubborn; IMO it is a political thread and little more.
    I see it as a direct threat to 2nd Amendment as the goal was to highlight the lax gun sales in the hopes to influence more gun control.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links