House to vote on Trayvon Amendment

This is a discussion on House to vote on Trayvon Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Eagleks I think it would be found unconstitutional if it ever passed....... "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" , and the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: House to vote on Trayvon Amendment

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think it would be found unconstitutional if it ever passed....... "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" , and the 2nd amendment rights...........

So... only the BG can show up with a gun ? Seems that's where we were before, and it didn't work out too well.
    Your assumption may or may not be true - depending on who gets to appoint the next few justices.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Your assumption may or may not be true - depending on who gets to appoint the next few justices.
    This reminded me of the old curse: "May you live in interesting times". These times, sure are interesting.

I can hardly wait until November to see if the majority of this country has "wised up" and put this Country back on the RIGHT Constitutional path.
    msgt/ret and shooterX like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "In Florida alone, deaths due to self-defense have tripled since the law was enacted..."

Shouldn't that be looked at as a positive? To me, it shows the right to self defense is working.
    gigamortis likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "In Florida alone, deaths due to self-defense have tripled since the law was enacted..."

Shouldn't that be looked at as a positive? To me, it shows the right to self defense is working.
    too bad that "factoid" isn't true. when facts don't cut it the left just lies to make it's point

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

too bad that "factoid" isn't true. when facts don't cut it the left just lies to make it's point

I agree with OldVet. They say that like it's a bad thing.

Usually, any bill named after a person should be viewed with suspicion.
    Vobis Non Me Dux!

Ya know... It's true. Justifiable homicide has increased in FL. While homicide in general (including both criminal and justifiable homicides) is going down.

What does that mean?

To me it means:
    1. In the cases of justifiable homicide, there was a "choice" between one dead body or the other... either the criminal is dead, or the law abiding citizen is dead. The law abiding citizen prevailed and the criminal is dead. That is the better outcome.

2. The criminal class is now aware that the law abiding citizen may be armed... so there is less violent crime perpetrated. The armed thug faces the risk/threat of equalizing force, something most of them are averse to... they want easy targets overwhelmed by their superior firepower... not a fair fight.

Stand Your Ground Law works... It deters crime, and it saves taxpayers the expense of incarcerating violent criminals who would eventually be released to commit yet more crime. In addition to those benefits, it allows the law abiding citizen to defend himself in situations and areas where he may not familiar with the "lay of the land" and my not be aware of (and use) routes of retreat (required in most states without SYG laws).
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The proposed amendment was withdrawn:

Democrats withdraw Trayvon amendment - Washington Times

Rep. Keith Ellison, Minnesota Democrat, said he will still try to force a debate at a more "appropriate" time in the future, saying action is demanded by the case of Trayvon Martin, the Florida teenager who police said was shot dead in a street encounter with a neighborhood watch volunteer

Yah, bring it up "at a more appropriate time"---which is NEVER!!!! What a maroon! These idiots are just trying to get headlines for themselves. They can't really be that stupid to believe the stuff they are saying. Or can they! One would think that a congressman should have a certain basic intelligence level. But then again, so many of them act in a manner contrary to common sense and a display of intelligence that it makes one wonder!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Appropriate time is defined as the when they have the votes to get the amendment passed. We'll see this again.
    shooterX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The proposed amendment was withdrawn:

Democrats withdraw Trayvon amendment - Washington Times
    Looks like contacting my House Representative did some good. to all who did so. Now let's not forget the voting "power" we have.
    Stubborn likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    The two dems backing this bill are from states that have nothing to do with Florida. They should keep their noses out of Florida's business and let Florida's representatives do something about SYG if a majority of Floridians want something changed. That's what representing the people is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Talk about stepping on State's rights!

^^^^This is what^^^^^^^^

our Federal Government is all about, & has become in the last 60 years or so.
    Control.
    I've said for the longest time, the states who collect gasoline taxes, and other monies to be collected at the decree of the feds, and then only get back way less than $1.00 for every $1.00 they send to Disneyland on the Potomac, should just NOT SEND THE MONEY THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This country has become a land of "Elitists" who feel they know better than their constituents, and are going to do as they damn well please, or how some major money benefactor wishes for them vote.
    I for one think its gone on for too long.
    shooterX and Stubborn like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I can hardly wait until November to see if the majority of this country has "wised up" and put this Country back on the RIGHT Constitutional path.
    The only way that will happen is if we vote all of the abusers of the Constitution out of office, both Democrats and Republicans. Face both sides have been abusing Our cherished document!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    We need to push a bill to withhold paycheck from stupid congressmen.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links