Write your Senators about this treaty.

Write your Senators about this treaty.

This is a discussion on Write your Senators about this treaty. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just more proof that even with all of the recent victories with regard to 2A we must always be vigilant and not stand by while ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Write your Senators about this treaty.

Exclamation Write your Senators about this treaty.

Just more proof that even with all of the recent victories with regard to 2A we must always be vigilant and not stand by while this administration does everything it can to take away our God given rights. Please take a few seconds to click the link below and send your Senetors a message.

Gun Owners of America
    Obama Administration Pushing UN Gun Control
    Senator Moran Bill Would Cut Funding
    of UN Small Arms Treaty
    Kansas Senator Jerry Moran introduced legislation to prohibit the Obama administration from negotiating away our gun rights as part of the UN Arms Trade Treaty (ATT).
    The ATT is a backdoor attempt to impose massive restrictions on U.S. gun rights.* While negotiations on the treaty are being held behind closed doors, it is certain to include language that will:
    * Require the registration and licensure of American firearms;
    * Ban large categories of firearms;
    * Require the mandatory destruction of surplus ammo and confiscated firearms;
    * Define manufacturing so broadly that any gun owner who adds an accessory such as a scope or changes a stock on a firearm would be required to obtain a manufacturing license;
    * Require “microstamping” of ammunition.
    The treaty could also be self-executing, which would mean that it would achieve its anti-gun objectives whether or not implementing legislation was passed by Congress.
    Some people think the U.S. would never sign off on such a treaty.* Well, think again.*
    In 2009, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced the U.S. agreed to negotiate on the treaty.*
    That’s a shift from the Bush administration, which declared the ATT dead on arrival.* President Bush wouldn’t have delivered the treaty to the Senate for ratification, but Obama can’t wait to use this vehicle as a way to show his anti-gun base that he is doing something on the gun control front.
    GOA is continually briefing Senators on the dangers of this treaty.* We even have a number of Senators who have committed in writing to oppose the treaty.*
    But one thing we fear is that the ATT is so massive (it would regulate everything from battleships to bullets) that many Senators may feel that the small arms portion is insignificant compared to the entire document.
    A number of Senators who purport to be pro-gun could possibly go along with the treaty.* It is also likely that no Democrat Senators – even those from so-called red states – will vote against the president in the months leading up to the election.
    All this makes the Moran bill vitally important.* S. 2205 will not allow the Hillary Clinton and the Obama administration to even attempt to negotiate away our gun rights.*
    The Moran bill is also a good test of which Senators are willing to stand against the president and oppose the ATT.
    Please take a minute to urge your own Senators to cosponsor S. 2205, the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012.
    And then please consider contributing to help GOA continue to battle this treaty and other attacks on the right to keep and bear arms.
    It is important to act right away.* Negotiations on the ATT are happening NOW!* The committee at the UN in charge of the treaty expects to have a final draft ready by this summer.* We need to use every means available to stop it in its tracks.*
    take-action
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Not again! I wish the GOA would stop using fear and pushing this horse doo doo

This has been debunked so many times already. It's just sad to see it here again for the thousandth time.
    noway2 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

So far I have not been able to find ONE Constituional lawyer out there that says a treaty trumps the Constitution. I am sure there are some but by far the universal agreement is a treaty means squat when it comes to our Constitution. Oh, I did forget about all of the COnstitutional experts here on this forum LOL. Aw, if life was only so simple as to google something. There is a member here who is a very intelligent fellow and he will try to prove that a treaty does in fact trump the constitution. But every time he parses parts of the same case everybody else uses.
    This as been debated to death. This has been all over the news in past and from left to right all agree we are not bound by the UN. The UN is an impotent organization to begin with from thier resolutions to their treatie.

The only way this will affect gun owners is if OTHER countries who sign the treaty decide to not export arms to the US. Bu that has nothing to do with US law or our Constitution, whether we sign it or not.

If you read what the GOA says they are ASSUMING the ATF will do all of these bad things. Well, there could be genuine concern about all of what the ATF might try to do. But they do not need a treaty with the UN to push their agenda.
    Last edited by suntzu; May 9th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Sig 210 likes this.

Well, there could be genuine concern about all of what the ATF might try to do. But they do not need a treaty with the UN to push their agenda.
    +1
    The BATF ran Ruby Ridge, the botched raid at Waco and Operation Fast and Furious with no help from the UN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Not again! I wish the GOA would stop using fear and pushing this horse doo doo
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    This has been debunked so many times already. It's just sad to see it here again for the thousandth time.
    My sincerest apologies. Please won't you forgive me for doing what I can to try and keep people informed. I'm sorry life trumps spending all my free time on a gun forum so as to know every topic that has been posted since its inception. A simple and respectful "this has been posted before" would have sufficed, but that must be too much to ask from you two.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    My sincerest apologies. Please won't you forgive me for doing what I can to try and keep people informed. I'm sorry life trumps spending all my free time on a gun forum so as to know every topic that has been posted since its inception. A simple and respectful "this has been posted before" would have sufficed, but that must be too much to ask from you two.
    Just some advice, which is useful for more than just gun topics. If you get some email about an event or situation that really gets your blood pumping, do a little fact-checking before you pass it on to your friends or post it in a forum. This one - the UN Small Arms treaty - is easy to research via Google or even the NRA-ILA site. Another example is the "Hanoi Jane" story which I get at least every 3 months.

No one is faulting you for trying to keep people informed. Just don't assume that everything that shows up in your email is the truth, and the more outrageous the claims, the more the story needs to be validated.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Dude, lighten up. I am more upset with GOA bringing out this trash all the time. In Bold: Is that a veiled attempt at an insult toward us? LOL. I got thicker skin than that. And yes, I do a lot of things besides reading this forum. But I am a contracter for DOD and I do get some decent advice here which I why I am on it frequently.

Dude, lighten up. I am more upset with GOA bringing out this trash all the time. In Bold: Is that a veiled attempt at an insult toward us? LOL. I got thicker skin than that. And yes, I do a lot of things besides reading this forum. But I am a contracter for DOD and I do get some decent advice here which I why I am on it frequently.
    You're right. I overreacted, I apologize; really. And no there was no veiled attempt against you. I was just irritated at the way it came across.

As to the subject at hand; what does GOA gain from bringing this around again?

You're right. I overreacted, I apologize; really. And no there was no veiled attempt against you. I was just irritated at the way it came across.

Same reason the NRA does it or any organization that survives on donations. To get more bucks. They are both good advocates for gun rights but I don't like fear tactics, speculations, and half truths in any organization. I look at it like this: I am a memebr of the NRA and they get my money. They do not have to fear monger to entice me. When they do that they target the tinfoil crowd out there.
    Brady bunch does the same thing.
    Mike1956 and JDE101 like this.

VIP Member
    As with all special interest groups, funding is a if not THE primary concern. In order to receive revenues, they must be relevant. In order to be relevant, they need an issue. Hence, an issue goes round and round, regardless of veracity.
    suntzu likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

is your friend
    Harryball likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Same reason the NRA does it or any organization that survives on donations. To get more bucks. They are both good advocates for gun rights but I don't like fear tactics, speculations, and half truths in any organization. I look at it like this: I am a memebr of the NRA and they get my money. They do not have to fear monger to entice me. When they do that they target the tinfoil crowd out there.
    Brady bunch does the same thing.
    The tinfoil crowd are much more likely to come off their hard-earned than the less excitable membership.
    suntzu and Sig 210 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I got a call from an NRA "solicitor" last night who was wanting to play a message about this treaty and who wanted a donation to fight against the "treaty". I'm a long time member of the NRA, and I do appreciate all they have done and continue to do to protect our gun rights. However, I am also tired of their "fear mongering" and constantly crying "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"!! I've been hearing "the sky is falling" since the 60s! The problem with crying "wolf" too often is that people begin to ignore you after awhile!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I got a call from an NRA "solicitor" last night who was wanting to play a message about this treaty and who wanted a donation to fight against the "treaty". I'm a long time member of the NRA, and I do appreciate all they have done and continue to do to protect our gun rights. However, I am also tired of their "fear mongering" and constantly crying "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"!! I've been hearing "the sky is falling" since the 60s! The problem with crying "wolf" too often is that people begin to ignore you after awhile!
    I've noticed that whenever I make a donation to whomever for whatever, the ensuing solicitations quickly increase exponentially.
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links