They wrote shall not be infringed and they meant it!

This is a discussion on They wrote shall not be infringed and they meant it! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I stumbled across this site that lists TONS of quotes by "The Fathers" pertaining to 2A, and some having to do with civil liberties. Quotes* ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: They wrote shall not be infringed and they meant it!

Thumbs up They wrote shall not be infringed and they meant it!

I stumbled across this site that lists TONS of quotes by "The Fathers" pertaining to 2A, and some having to do with civil liberties.

Quotes* See the Founding Fathers quotes on gun rights and freedom.

Here are a few:

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
    Samuel Adams

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it."
    Samuel Adams

"And we do each of us, for ourselves respectively, promise and engage to keep a good firelock in proper order, and to furnish ourselves as soon as possible with, and always keep by us, one pound of gunpowder, four pounds of lead, one dozen gunflints, and a pair of bullet moulds, with a cartouch box, or powder horn, and bag for balls."
    George Mason's Fairfax County Militia Plan, 1775

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole body of the people except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..."
    George Mason (1725-1792), drafted the Virginia Declaration of Rights, ally of James Madison and George Washington

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. When you give up that force, you are ruined."
    Patrick Henry (1736-1799), Virginia's U.S. Constitution Ratification Convention
    mano3 and The Old Anglo like this.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

You're preaching to the choir. Do something about it and feel good. You'll become jaded soon enough, and you'll realize you're under the thumb just like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You're preaching to the choir. Do something about it and feel good. You'll become jaded soon enough, and you'll realize you're under the thumb just like the rest of us.
    I'm not quite sure how to take your comment...
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Take it as the plain truth and fact. Vote your conscience this year and make it count whether or not you believe your vote will make a difference. Team work? How may I help you?

The Government has ruled through one of its branches that they have the power to change the Constitution without going through the amendment process. Once they did that it was pretty much game over as to what the Constitution says meaning anything.

Michael
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Take it as the plain truth and fact. Vote your conscience this year and make it count whether or not you believe your vote will make a difference. Team work? How may I help you?
    I gotcha. I always do vote my conscience, regardless of whether or not I think "We" will win; that way I know I at least did my part.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The Government has ruled through one of its branches that they have the power to change the Constitution without going through the amendment process. Once they did that it was pretty much game over as to what the Constitution says meaning anything.

Michael
    To what are you referring? I'm pretty sure that the amendment process still applies. Unless of course you said this with tongue in cheek...

Originally Posted by mlr1m

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    :SNIP:
    To what are you referring? I'm pretty sure that the amendment process still applies. Unless of course you said this with tongue in cheek...
    Did the Government use the amendment process when they decided that some infringements are permissible? Or did they just pull that out of their hat? I do not recall an amendment giving the Government the power to place restrictions on weapons.
    Just sayin.

Michael

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it."
    Samuel Adams

I think we're getting close to needing this one! The Government is getting involved in way too much of your personal life, and that is not what it was intended for.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

NFA act of 1930's, GCA of 1968, and Bill Clinton assault weapon ban, plus California, Mass., Chicago, and DC gun laws....those are a few I can think of right now....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Yes they sure did.

However the "New They" have no comprehension of what "infringed" means and show us ever chance they get. They have not only "watered" down our 2nd amendment rights but others also.

When have you seen quotes such as those of our founding fathers and patriots of old by anyone in recent history. Patriot has become on dirty word in Washington.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

People want what they want. Some people will do anything they can get away with to get what they want. If they can get away with it, its legal no matter what the rules say. You see it in sport, on the street and even in politics. It's human nature, ugly as it is. That is why it is important for everyone to be informed and speak out at the slightest breech. Only through the collective voice of law abiding citizens do we have a chance of passing on a semblance of the Country that was given to us. Get informed, write letters, send emails, hold people in positions of power and influence accountable. Let them know we are watching and aware of their actions and agenda.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    One basis for restricting even constitutional rights, the 2A in particular, comes from one of the SCOTUS rulings, that I am sure has been brought up in this forum on several past occasions. In that ruling it was established that no right is without restriction and in terms of guns, it established the ability of the states to deny guns in "sensitive" places like schools, and courthouses. Of course, it didn't define sensitive places in it's entirety, leaving the door open for interpretation.

Hope I'm not butchering this too bad but...

"When you've had all you can take from our government and you decide its time for action; grab your gun and head out the door. If you're the only one out there, it's not time yet..."

Can't remember where I saw that or I would have quoted exactly and given credit, but you get the idea.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    NFA act of 1930's, GCA of 1968, and Bill Clinton assault weapon ban, plus California, Mass., Chicago, and DC gun laws....those are a few I can think of right now....
    Don't forget the Hughes Act of 1986 that St. Reagan signed.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Samuel Adams

I think we're getting close to needing this one! The Government is getting involved in way too much of your personal life, and that is not what it was intended for.
    Hiram, when I hear a level-headed person like you make a statement like that, it catches my attention. The problem is that like it or not, we have a more of a democracy than a republic, and what we are getting is what the 'people' are asking for. Just look at how France has recently defiled itself, and Greece is eager to do the same. We are on the same path. I am watching the horizon a lot closer these days.
    W9HDG likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links