Blind man wins back his guns and 2nd Amendment Rights

This is a discussion on Blind man wins back his guns and 2nd Amendment Rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Blind man wins back his weapons in legal battle. Blind NJ Man Steven Hopler Gets Guns Back Years After Police Confiscated Them Citing Safety Concerns ...

A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    I wonder how many of his guns will get "accidentally" misplaced?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe he has the right to bear arms,but if his accident was caused due to his being under the influence of alcohol while cleaning/dry firing his guns he needs to learn to leave his guns alone when he is drinking.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A win for the man's rights.

Did anyone else think that, in the accompanying video story, the man's dog Oreo seemed to be barking, "Don't give them back!!!"
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

He doesn't have to turn the lights on when he is shooting in a H/D situation

The real question we need to ask is why did they take them, by what right. If they had a right by some stretch why did they not return them when holding them was no longer warranted.
    This happens all of the time. around here get stopped for a traffic violation, in some counties if you do not post bond they can lock you up have a fire arm with you they take it and good luck getting it returned. You will win in the end but it will cost you a lot of cash and time depending on the DA.
    These types of case go unreported but happen all of the time.
    The man in Milwaukee that was involved in a SD shoot of a robber with a shot gun this year has yet to have his handgun return and it looks like he may never see it again.
    Even though the DA ruled it not a crime he could charge.
    Last look at the time it has taken him to get his property back and at what cost? How have they been stored all of this time what condition are they in now?

Why is the "an admitted thief" even acknowledged in the article? I hate when the media tries to slant a news story to their side... I know it happens a lot but come on... blatant...

Is there some kind of suitability clause I am not aware of in the Second Amendment?
    “From the outset, there was concern as to whether Mr. Hopler was suitable to possess firearms…
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

With respect. The man is blind and drinks too much. I would humbly suggest that this is not the type of person that should be playing with firearms. How would a blind person utilize his gun in a defensive scenario exactly? Listen for sounds and then blaze away? Reading the thread it seems that some members are blindly parroting the Second Amendment and not taking into account the absolute silliness of the prospect. A blind man with a gun? OK. He wants to go to a pistol range and pop some targets (with other people's assistance I assume) that's fine. But if this man is shooting himself in the leg then we have a problem. Not only is he a danger to himself (I could care less) but he is an absolute danger to his neighbors. Should he be allowed to drive as well? Not the same thing? Both objects (the Gun and the Car) can be deadly weapons in the hands of someone who...let's say it again...CAN NOT SEE!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My copy of the Constitution does not have any exceptions to the Bill of Rights for disabilities.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

If blindness eliminates one constitutional right,it eliminates them all.Does this make sense to anyone?Your constitutional rights are not conditional,based on your physical condition.Now,on the other hand,C.C.,thats another issue.Knowing your target, and what is beyond, would be problematic.

Links