20 years A bit harsh

This is a discussion on 20 years A bit harsh within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; CNN's version and what really happened.I still belive it's a bit harsh. Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in controversial warning shot case - CNN.com ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By hogdaddy

Thread: 20 years A bit harsh

2. Remove Ads

My favorite part how is this idiot still in office.

"Brown, the Jacksonville congresswoman, told reporters after the sentencing that the case was a product of "institutional racism." "She was overcharged by the prosecutor. Period," Brown said. "She never should have been charged." Brown has been more complimentary about Corey's work in the Trayvon Martin case, where her office filed second degree murder charges against neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the February 26 death of the unarmed African-American teen-ager."

VIP Member
    Actually she could have gotten life, under Florida's 10-20-Life law. I believe they dropped 1 of the 3 charges against her.

Regardless, my understanding is she left and returned with the gun. That took Florida's Stand Your Ground law out of the equation.
    shooterX and The Old Anglo like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Oh I agree it wasn't stand your ground at all. But 20 years for a "warning shot" is a long time there's people that has served less for murder.

VIP Member
    Another crap example of Stand Your Ground as a defense, so no surprise that she didn't prevail. ALWAYS talk to a lawyer before you talk to the cops, and get one who is competent in gun and criminal law.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

there is two threads running on this already but I will weight in anyway.....

she had a chance to retreat but instead she chose to go to her car get a gun and return and threaten him and endanger two kids; that is why she got 20 years. If the two kids were not in the picture I am sure things would have been different

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post

"Brown, the Jacksonville congresswoman, told reporters after the sentencing that the case was a product of "institutional racism." "She was overcharged by the prosecutor. Period," Brown said. "She never should have been charged." Brown has been more complimentary about Corey's work in the Trayvon Martin case, where her office filed second degree murder charges against neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the February 26 death of the unarmed African-American teen-ager."
    Google C Brown & GO GATORS, She's a Baiter if there ever was one OMO ; )
    H/D
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Another example of knee jerk reactions and judges/juries being lenient in the wrong cases. The laws were written with a range of sentences to give judges discretion for extenuating circumstances. Honest citizens got fed up with revolving door justice and consistent light sentences for the "he was a good boy" types and took that discretion away from the judges and now they're stuck with one size fits all sentences.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    "Corey said she had offered Alexander a plea bargain that would have resulted in a three-year prison sentence, but Alexander chose to take the case to a jury trial"

Ouch...

I believe FL has a law concerning drawing a gun in anger or to intimidate.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What I find interesting is that if she had actualy shot him, she could have been in a better position. Cardinal rule-do not pull a gun unless ou are ready to shoot the assailant.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

This case sucks, yes she was wrong for "returning" but scum bags who murder people for the $15 they had in their wallet get less time than this woman
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post

Rep__Corrine_Brown.jpg

I've got some thoughts on why she might still be in office and why she might appear to flip-flop on a black woman claiming self defence and a non-black using the same plea, but I'll let you draw your own conclusion.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Links