Senator Roy Blunt on Small Arms Treaty

This is a discussion on Senator Roy Blunt on Small Arms Treaty within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a response to a letter I sent my Senators on the U.N. Small Arms Treaty that Hillary Clinton is pushing for. I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Spirit51

Thread: Senator Roy Blunt on Small Arms Treaty

I just got a response to a letter I sent my Senators on the U.N. Small Arms Treaty that Hillary Clinton is pushing for. I haven't heard from Senator Claire McCaskill, but really didn't expect one from her. She is a "lap dog" to this administration. I would like to share the letter with all of you.

Reply from Senator Roy Blunt

Dear Nancy ,

Thank you for your letter on the United Nations discussion of a Small Arms Treaty.

As you know, some at the U.N. have long favored ways to limit individual arms ownership. The Arms Trade Treaty seeks to control the international trade of conventional weapons. On October 14, 2009, President Obama overturned the Bush Administration's previous decision to oppose such a treaty in favor of national controls.

I am a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights. The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms is an individual right guaranteed by our Constitution and upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. The most basic right of Americans is the ability to defend themselves and their families, and I've consistently voted in favor of preserving our constitutionally protected right to own firearms as law-abiding citizens. This is why I have signed onto a letter with Senator Moran to President Obama opposing ratification of this treaty.

U.N. Treaties and resolutions shouldn't be signed just to make U.N. bureaucrats feel useful. The U.S. Senate has a constitutional responsibility to consider treaties and resolutions on the basis of their value to our country, not those of other countries or global organizations. Should legislation addressing a "Small Arms Treaty" be submitted to the Senate, I will strongly oppose it.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook ( Senator Roy Blunt | Facebook ) and Twitter ( Senator Roy Blunt (@RoyBlunt) on Twitter ) about the important issues f acing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website ( blunt.senate.gov ) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter .

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
    United States Senator

I really think it pays to keep in touch with your politicians to see where they stand (or fall) on your concerns for this Country.
    WHEC724, Stubborn, tkruf and 2 others like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Good deal. Thanks for sharing that. We should all be contacting our Senators and letting them know how we feel, and to back us up.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    This is why I have signed onto a letter with Senator Moran to President Obama opposing ratification of this treaty.
    Moran is our Senator, so we know where he stands... which is good. Our other is Roberts, and he has the same position.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    We got Herb Kohl (D) and all he does is nap. but we can contact our other guy "Ron Johnson" and he has got our back. Ron Johnson will listen to us and act accordingly.

Links