Would you support multi-level CCW permits

This is a discussion on Would you support multi-level CCW permits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As mentioned in an early post, NY state has tiers, and they give discretion to the licensing officers. It's just a race to the bottom ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Would you support multi-level CCW permits

As mentioned in an early post, NY state has tiers, and they give discretion to the licensing officers. It's just a race to the bottom then, as to who puts more restrictions on. The less discretion afforded the licensing officer the better!

2. Remove Ads

New to thread & DC.COM

Hey I'm just a newbie here looking around, but I'm enjoying these discussions so far. What I don't get, and what seems to be overlooked far too often for me, is that our Constitution and The Bill of Rights didn't give the government rights to limit my ability to carry. And, since they work for me (okay, all of us really), and because I swore to support and defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic for twenty-plus years, I'm inclined to challenge their authority when they do. See, I'm a strict constitutionalists. I even fail to see how convicted felons are prevented from owning or bearing weapons once they are released. I may be in the minority, but who's making the rules here anyway? All that being said, I remember -like an elephant- when elected officials and their lackey bureaucrats try to bully folks around come election time. Oh yeah, I vote in every election!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    @PapaJim,

If I am reading the tone and intent of your post correctly, you are giving voice to a thought that is inappropriate to express in as much as it would be an illegal act, hence against the rules of discussion.

I am not saying I don't concur with you in principle, and many here may, just that it is neither wise nor allowed to voice such thoughts openly. I am sad to say that is also a reflection of the times in which we live.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

I would not aggree to a multi level CCW. If you get a CCW, you should be able to carry every where. Guns free zones are a joke. Do you mean to tell me that if you wanted to go shoot up a school, the fact you don't have the a multi level CCW that allows you to carry on a school would stop you? When I got my CCW, they did do a background check. The only thing that stops me from carry at my kids schools is that I know it is against the law. There are laws set up for no tolerance of alcohol in your syestem while carrying CCW, so why is it illegal to carry in a bar or 51%? If you are going to be a person to take the resposibility to CCW, then you are probably an upstanding citizen in your community and follow the law. If you cannot qualify to carry CCW, do you really think you will follow the laws designed for gun free zones. Allowing some people to carry on premises that are currently gun free zones based on a multi level CCW and others not to based on a set of rules is the same as not having CCW laws in the first place.

My 2 cents and I will get off the soap box now.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    it is neither wise nor allowed to voice such thoughts openly.
    Wow! Two of my constitutional rights rights down the drain in one post. Sounds a little Orwellian to me. You must have misread my "tone and intent". I don't think I said anything about illegal acts, I simply think it's past time American's quit acting like sheep, elect our representatives accordingly, and defend our constitutional rights. 'nuff said, I'll go back to my cave and sit this one out.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaJim View Post
    Wow! Two of my constitutional rights rights down the drain in one post.
    The 1st-A applies to govt. DC is a private entity, you (everyone) have (has) no right to free speech here beyond that which the owners wish to extend.
    You must have misread my "tone and intent". Snip..
    Perhaps I did and it is easy to do with words only, which is why I made the disclaimer. The way you phrased challenge struck me as potentially different. I am not disagreeing with you, I am just cautioning about how your words came across and some may not be as open minded. Please don't get upset, I was not trying to be unfriendly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

No worries noway2...like I said, I'm just a newbie here. And while I have my own vernacular, I'll do my best to adapt. Thanks for the advice!

First off, let's take the ludicrous term "Gun Free Zone". Exactly what does that accomplish in reality(besides showing that anti-gun law makers do not dwell in reality)? I mean, did being in a "Gun Free Zone prevent Columbine? That answer is obvious. They just walked right on by that imaginary line just like anyone intent on doing mischief or harm would do. The only thing it accomplishes in reality is to prevent the law abiding citizen from being armed, period. If I'm intent on doing harm, it doesn't matter how many imaginary walls are put up, I'm going to ignore them.

As for a psych evaluation, I don't need an evaluation that is going to be skewed to preventing as many people as possible from passing from being approved. As a matter of probable fact, any discrepancies noted during the evaluation will more than likely be used to restrict, or more likely, remove my "government granted ability" to carry a concealed firearm or, more probable, to even own a firearm. This could be used so easily to accomplish everything the anti-gunners have been trying to do since day one.

Training to cover the laws and penalties and all that should be covered anyhow. No compromise. Do away with the "Gun Free Zone" period. More than likely, things will never change anyhow and I'm willing to bet we will never be allowed to carry in a govt building of any kind any how. Always remember, laws put in place to control are only going to control the law abiding citizen. Criminals intent on doing wrong don't give a damn and no imaginary wall or line is going to stop them.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

It's for suckers ,more legislation will not give you more freedom.Whatever happends the feds need to be left out of it.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJim View Post
    No worries noway2...like I said, I'm just a newbie here. And while I have my own vernacular, I'll do my best to adapt. Thanks for the advice!
    Perhaps I'm naive also but I didn't read anything into what you said. I understand DC has to set rules for conversation and that the 1st Amendment only applies to govt speech(well, not even there sometimes now) but we really must be careful that we don't muzzle ourselves with double speak because we are afraid how it will be taken. If the founders had thought this way, the discussion of revolution would still be going on. The government has accomplished what they wanted with all of the "protect the country" laws passed since 9/11; people are afraid to voice anything anti-govt for fear the black helicopters will visit. And, in so doing, they pretty much have us where they want us, unable and unwilling to voice dissent. Isn't it amazing that the current regime(and I really say either side though I believe Republicans would be less inclined to do so since they run scared of the media) praises to the heavens the revolutions in Libya, Egypt, Syria and where ever else but would throw us under the jail for even vocally espousing anything near what is happening?

Doesn't anyone find it some what ironic that what the forefathers espoused, both before and after the Revolution will today get you thrown in jail. It didn't take long for that kind of stuff to be nipped in the "free speech bud" did it?

BTW, even I'm not stupid enough to espouse anything other than discontent. After all, the computers at Ft. Meade are running full steam ahead..........
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by boutaswell View Post

Doesn't anyone find it some what ironic that what the forefathers espoused, both before and after the Revolution will today get you thrown in jail. It didn't take long for that kind of stuff to be nipped in the "free speech bud" did it?
    200+ years wasn't a bad run.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links