Would you support multi-level CCW permits

This is a discussion on Would you support multi-level CCW permits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While watching a video on crime in Detroit and the arguments of both pro and anti an interesting comment was made by the pro gun ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Would you support multi-level CCW permits

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

While watching a video on crime in Detroit and the arguments of both pro and anti an interesting comment was made by the pro gun guy. He mentioned
    qualify for a permit with extra training to allow you to carry in "gun free" zones
    That got me to thinking, which admittedly gets me into trouble more often than not.

The thread More On Detroit

Would you support a multi level permit system if it allowed for carry in areas we are currently prohibited? Say a more comprehensive understanding of the laws, penalties for violating them, psychological evaluation and a min standard on the range to qualify. just as an example.

Being able to qualify to carry into a school to pick up your child is first to come to my mind as I have to disarm every afternoon I pick up my son from after-school care because it's located in a school. I'm not figuring it would ever allow us past security in the airport or the courtroom, but maybe allow us to avoid those "no guns" signs that LEO's don't have to acknowledge.

Might even be a way for a few that really want to prove we are law abiding citizens to do just that.

Your thoughts?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Don't they already have multi-level permits in NY?

I think it's stupid to have a carry permit in the fist place. I certainly don't support a multi-level permit. Just adds another level of corruption to an already corrupt bureaucracy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Interesting, I don't have an opinion, but I'll be watching.

Is extra training really the concern about keeping guns out of schools and government buildings, though? I'd think if this ever happens the qualifications would be more along the lines of training and periodic psych exams, kind of like they have for commercial pilots.

I am with Governor Perry. Anyone with a license should be able to carry anywhere in the state.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'd be open to extra training and evaluations if it would get me an exemption to carry at school as a teacher.
    W9HDG and 4my sons like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think it's stupid to have a carry permit in the fist place. I certainly don't support a multi-level permit. Just adds another level of corruption to an already corrupt bureaucracy.
    I'm with Bark'n on this one
    tangoseal and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm with Bark'n on this one
    I am too. The idea just smacks of more bureaucracy and government control and the logic fail that always comes with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I am with Governor Perry. Anyone with a license should be able to carry anywhere in the state.
    My sentiments exactly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I am much more in favor of eliminating gun-free zones than adding a few more layers to the bureaucracy.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Mike is right on the money. States need to get rid of the bureaucratic red tape and free up the rights that people should already have. More restrictions and more complex laws are going to do nothing but hurt citizens liberties.

Massive thumbs down.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Sounds good at face value but the idea of some government head shrinker evaluating me and then reporting and recording the findings in a "file" on me scares me a bit. I'd prefer to stay off the radar and within the current laws.

Would be nice enjoying the added benefit but the slippery slope potential is a bit too high for me though

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I am much more in favor of eliminating gun-free zones than adding a few more layers to the bureaucracy.
    I with you on this. Its an extra 9 hour class with another 98 rounds. Then you could carry everywhere. Seems like a small price to pay not to have PFZs....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I don't think the core issue (2A purism aside) would be training. It would need to be thoroughness of
    the criminal background checks, and perhaps some form of more thorough psychological evaluation, perhaps
    even including something like a hair test for drugs (90 day look back and much better than urine), and actual phone interview with your physician. I think it would become a very expensive and cumbersome thing to actually do, and open the issuing Agency to lots of challenges.

I'm more in favor of simply removing most if not all of the restrictions on license holders (in states which have a system similar to TX's ). I really don't understand the school, church, and hospital, prohibitions, or why they make any sense whatsoever in the first place.

It is extremely rare to hear of a crime of gun crime of violence committed by a license holder. Almost all gun related crimes
    seem to me to be by folks who are in illegal possession anyway, and who would pay no attention to the prohibitions at various
    zones.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Not for anymore regulation. I would encourage more education in the form of hand out pamphlet the day to take your course as to where you can carry, inter-state carry, and some clarity on where lethal use of a gun is warranted and some cases where it's not. Maybe give them a link to defensive carry.com.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Definitly going to agree with Mike on this one.

And Barkn and mcp. All good responses. We should not need permits, there should be no "gunfree"/target rich zones unless everyone entering is required to pass through security and there are armed guards to provide protection for those required to be unarmed.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links