History repeats itself - Venezuela bans private gun ownership

This is a discussion on History repeats itself - Venezuela bans private gun ownership within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hot off the wire... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18288430 Venezuela has brought a new gun law into effect which bans the commercial sale of firearms and ammunition. Until now, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: History repeats itself - Venezuela bans private gun ownership

Hot off the wire...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18288430

Venezuela has brought a new gun law into effect which bans the commercial sale of firearms and ammunition.

Until now, anyone with a gun permit could buy arms from a private company.

Under the new law, only the army, police and certain groups like security companies will be able to buy arms from the state-owned weapons manufacturer and importer.

The ban is the latest attempt by the government to improve security and cut crime ahead of elections in October

Venezuela saw more than 18,000 murders last year and the capital, Caracas, is thought to be one of the most dangerous cities in Latin America.

'Must do more'

The government has been running a gun amnesty in the run-up to the introduction of the new law to try to encourage people to give up their illegal arms without fear of consequences.

Besides the health of President Chavez, security is the main concern for voters ahead of presidential elections in October.

While voters don't seem to hold Mr Chavez responsible for the insecurity, the situation has worsened throughout his 13 years in office.

The government's most recent statistics put the murder rate at around 48 per 100,000, although some non-governmental organisations estimate it's much higher - 60 per 100,000 in 2011, one of the highest rates in the world.

Critics say the new gun laws and other recently announced measures, like a victim's compensation fund, are just the latest in a long line of failed attempts to bolster security.

One member of the public in Caracas told the BBC: "They're killing people every day. This law is important but they need to do more, they're not doing enough now."

Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians, but his opponents say the police and government may not have the capacity or the will to enforce the new law.

Criminal violence is set to be a major issue in presidential elections later in the year.

Campaign group The Venezuela Violence Observatory said last year that violence has risen steadily since Mr Chavez took office in 1999.

Several Latin American countries have murder rates far higher than the global average of 6.9 murders per 100,000 people.

According to a recent United Nations report, South America, Central America and the Caribbean have the highest rates of murder by firearms in the world.

It found that over 70% of all homicides in South America are as a results of guns - in Western Europe, the figure was closer to 25%.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Chavez is a dictator of the worst kind.

Passing a law to prevent crime is stupid. The law abiding are put at a disadvantage, and the crooks that dont obey the law anyway operate unhindered.

Hugo Chavez's government says the ultimate aim is to disarm all civilians
    No one is going to come out and say, "we dont trust you to have guns so we are going to take them". They just pass a law so that stupid people will turn them in.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Last report I saw Hugo Chavez only has a couple of months left to live. I wonder if this country will change attitudes or just leaders. It will still be taking weapons from the law abiding citizens and leaving the criminals armed. It stinks of failure.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    This is the 'Model' for the UN Small Arms Treaty regulations that 'the rest of the world' wants to enact on the US.

Look how well this same exact model is working in Mexico right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Last report I saw Hugo Chavez only has a couple of months left to live. I wonder if this country will change attitudes or just leaders. It will still be taking weapons from the law abiding citizens and leaving the criminals armed. It stinks of failure.
    The good news is that when the ass-clown Chavez finally dies, they'll only need 2 pall-bearers. After all, there's only 2 handles on a garbage can
    WHEC724, sdprof, Spirit51 and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Worldwide would you say that private citizen gun ownership trends are becoming more oppressed or less oppressed?

Either way is a good reason to join the NRA or some pro 2A group. Or, support a pro 2A political candidate (state or fed). Recruit some of your neighbors, friends, relatives to do the same. Gift a lifetime NRA membership to your kids or grandkids, good Christmas or birthday gift.

Remember the saying about the two enemies of guns......... rust and politicians, we need to actively tend to both.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm sure the murderers will obey the law and turn in their weapons. They have done such a good job of obeying the laws so far.
    BigStick and Nick62 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

History..........that's history for the rest of the world........what should we learn from the rest of the world other than it's a messed up place? We live here in America where history used to be one of our strongest points. Don't look to the rest of the world in lessons on history IMO.....look right here at home. If we don't wise up and get out and vote this year as a whole...we'll have nowhere else to look at history than what's become of other countries where the free populations haven't taken the bull by the horns. Not many countries with a "history" worth mentioning over 20 years old due to many factors. Ours has remained relatively stable for over 200 years. Concentrate on preservation instead of becoming depressed with the rest of the world. How is it we have folks starving in this country yet we are asked and give willingly to others in need? That due to early morning infomercials?
    I'm not saying that what happens in the rest of the world doesn't affect us.....it's just that if we were solid in our beliefs here at home.....we would have more of an influence in what happened overseas. Build a firm foundation for your own home before you become a contract engineer for others' homes. We can be appalled at what happens in far away lands and we can see what we do not want to come unto ourselves and we may sympathize as well. Truth is.....what we despise about such things far away are closer to us now than ever before because we worried too much about others who never worried about themselves.

Worldwide would you say that private citizen gun ownership trends are becoming more oppressed or less oppressed?

Either way is a good reason to join the NRA or some pro 2A group. Or, support a pro 2A political candidate (state or fed). Recruit some of your neighbors, friends, relatives to do the same. Gift a lifetime NRA membership to your kids or grandkids, good Christmas or birthday gift.

Remember the saying about the two enemies of guns......... rust and politicians, we need to actively tend to both.
    Since when did the NRA work for everyone world wide? (National) rifle association? What is 'national'? Same as global? Much of the world need not know the term 'politician'. They know who rules and who kills those who won't obey.
    I think it's high time we let the rest of the world take care of themselves and us (U.S.....as in United?) take care of ourselves. Just one of those days I apparently have that feeling I reckon. Don't mind me....it will pass...but the 4th of July is coming up fast. Home is where the love is. We can always wish for someone else. Amen.
    When I think of a "grass roots" effort.......I'm not thinking of running barefoot through the plains of South Africa or the outback of Australia. Comprende?
    Talk to me more about history and where it should be.
    wmhawth and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post

Excellent point. It is near impossible to own guns in Mexico legally. Honest citizens are forced to buy them the same way criminals do it. The UN is a farce

http://m.npr.org/story/145996427?url...stance-on-guns
    Spirit51 likes this.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Reading this story makes me realize even more how fortunate I am to be an American. Back when I was born, about 1 in 20 babies brought into the world were U.S. citizens. The odds were against me to be a citizen of this great & free country. Yes, how fortunate I am!
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    As guns and ammunition sales have skyrocketed in the U.S. many foreign countries are getting more restrictive and less tolerant of law-abiding citizens owning firearms. While we have never had a violent overthrow of our government since this country was formed, many other countries have, and controlling weapons is a good way to prevent coups from happening. I can't help but think most politicians would sleep better at night knowing that their constituents were unarmed. When we are pushed into the globalization of our economy, we are likely to be urged to give up our guns like many other nations, but if I have anything to say about it, it ain't gonna happen! Unless, of course, the criminals give up theirs.(LOL)
    Spirit51 likes this.

Their crime and drugs are moving into our country as we speak. Geeze put that wall up at the border.....stupid PONTUS and the liberals .........
    MleeC and Spirit51 like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

No good communist dictator worth a flip is going to allow people to own guns. They like targets that don't shoot back. If the population should rise up and want something crazy say,like freedom, the military can swoop in unopposed and crush them like good little sheep. Were headed that way too. If your not a member of a pro-gun group,join one,and get a friend to join too.We have to stand together with those groups and support them so they can fight this anti-gun movement here, so we don't become the next Venezuela.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Chavez is a dictator of the worst kind.

Passing a law to prevent crime is stupid. The law abiding are put at a disadvantage, and the crooks that dont obey the law anyway operate unhindered.

No one is going to come out and say, "we dont trust you to have guns so we are going to take them". They just pass a law so that stupid people will turn them in.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    This is the 'Model' for the UN Small Arms Treaty regulations that 'the rest of the world' wants to enact on the US.

^BINGO^^^^And^^^^^^^^BINGO^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    The good news is that when the ass-clown Chavez finally dies, they'll only need 2 pall-bearers. After all, there's only 2 handles on a garbage can

^^WELL said!!!^^^^^^

Chavez is a NWO Commie who needs to take a dirt nap..

Unfortunately, the next in line may be worse, if thats possible.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I posted this here once before...looks like it's time to post it again...

Gun History
    After reading the following historical facts, read the part
    about Switzerland twice.

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
    In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control.. From 1929 to 1953,
    about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
    up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1..5 million
    Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
    of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were
    rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
    political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000
    Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated..

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
    Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million
    educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
    exterminated.

-----------------------------
    Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
    because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians
    disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes,
    gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them
    of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens.'
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew
    most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message
    to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
    defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
    important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
    supplemental.
    SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
    SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
    SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY
    CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links